Author Topic: Military Draft?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: Military Draft?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Couldn't agree with you anymore! ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Apparently everyone else is pulling out... I say we hit the road and never come back once the date to hand over the government to the Iraqis arrives.

But then the Democrats would be all over that like white on rice, saying that bush didn't keep his promise.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 03:22 PM »
He made his bed...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004, 07:17 PM »
First off, the bill is sponsored by the Democrats, Representative Charles B Rangel & Sen. Ernest Hollings, *not* George W. Bush.

Nov 8, 2003 - Asked this week if the president is considering reinstituting the draft, press secretary Scott McClellan gave a quick and emphatic answer. "No," he said, moving to the next question.

Bush is not planning on signing a bill which will reinstitute the draft for the War in Iraq.

Kevin

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2004, 07:35 PM »
But really that's the misunderstanding people have. The draft wouldn't be for Iraq but for future threats. It's to late to draft people for Iraq.

On the case of pulling out of Iraq, I'd like to say that we should pull out within the coming months. There is, sadly, one option that we can take in Iraq: Allow it to fall into dissary and have the side we support rise to prominence, sad but true. Iraq is a mess, the Middle East is a mess and to be honest the future is a mess. I miss the blinded age of the 80s--90s
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2004, 07:43 PM »
It was not to late to draft for Vietnam, when we were there for about 10 years, and had thousands of our men killed and traumatized by the whole war, we did not get **** out of it, but thousands of men that did not come home!

I really do not want to see Iraq end up like this.  
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2004, 08:01 PM »
It was not to late to draft for Vietnam, when we were there for about 10 years, and had thousands of our men killed and traumatized by the whole war, we did not get **** out of it, but thousands of men that did not come home!

I really do not want to see Iraq end up like this.  

Arrrrgggg...Please don't compair Iraq to Vietnam. Please.

Kevin

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Famine he's from California, what do you expect?  ;)

Vietnam and Iraq have a few similarites, but not hardly enough to call it the same.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2004, 11:28 PM »
Hmmm, this seems to be going down a certain, uncomfortably familiar path.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2004, 11:38 PM »
First off, the bill is sponsored by the Democrats, Representative Charles B Rangel & Sen. Ernest Hollings, *not* George W. Bush.

Nov 8, 2003 - Asked this week if the president is considering reinstituting the draft, press secretary Scott McClellan gave a quick and emphatic answer. "No," he said, moving to the next question.

Bush is not planning on signing a bill which will reinstitute the draft for the War in Iraq.

Kevin

You're right of course, but the idea of reconstituting the draft is also being strongly advocated by Republican Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska.

Among others.

I believe the democrats are doing pushing for this to make people think twice about the war in Iraq - i.e. if your own son or daughter could be called up and sent off - but I also believe all this talk has the potential to snowbal into a catastrophe if not stopped immediately.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Yes, it is, and I asked you guys to play nice...  Snide remarks about where someone lives are snide remarks nonetheless...  

This is teetering on being closed, and I'm going to be discussing some things behind the scenes with the bossman and others as to how we'll deal with these topics overall.

Keep it civil either way because I don't want to see this getting out of hand and creating unnecessary anymosity between our members.

I'm a Democrat with lots of Republican Friends...  I have common sense enough NOT to talk about this stuff with them if I want them to BE my friends and for us to respect each other.  I'm thinking this should be the JD.com way as well because nothing good comes from this discussion on either side of a debate.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2004, 12:21 AM »
Yes, it is, and I asked you guys to play nice...  Snide remarks about where someone lives are snide remarks nonetheless...  

This is teetering on being closed, and I'm going to be discussing some things behind the scenes with the bossman and others as to how we'll deal with these topics overall.

Keep it civil either way because I don't want to see this getting out of hand and creating unnecessary anymosity between our members.

I'm a Democrat with lots of Republican Friends...  I have common sense enough NOT to talk about this stuff with them if I want them to BE my friends and for us to respect each other.  I'm thinking this should be the JD.com way as well because nothing good comes from this discussion on either side of a debate.

This was a response I was expecting.  Looks like I have something to gloat about...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2004, 01:23 AM »
Hmm...  Yeah, we've been experimenting a little here at JD this past month, by permitting some of these borderline political threads to stay open for a little while just to see how it goes.  While I think they've been fairly tame compared to "elsewhere", they are still teetering on the edge of getting a little too heated for our liking.

I'm not a very political fella myself, but it pains me to read the news every day and see more of our boys (and a few gals) out in Iraq being killed, and I really wish we could bring them home, out of harms way.  But at the same time, I understand that we're trying to "stay the course" for a little longer in hopes of Iraq getting things up and running somewhat smoothly on their own.

As for the potential of a draft, I just can't see something like that ever happening here again.  I'd be really surprised if it ever did, and I'm sure it would cause all hell to break loose all over the country if one was actually implemented.  I wouldn't be too concerned about it though...

With that, I'll concur with Nick, Rob, and Jess, and just go ahead and close this one before it gets too exciting.  I think most everyone has stated their case that wants to, so it'll probably all just be useless debating/arguing from here on out.  If anyone desperately wants it back open, feel free to PM anyone on the staff and we can discuss it.

Thanks for understanding folks.   :)

- Matt
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:30 AM by JediMAC »