Author Topic: Tell me about trilogo carded figures please?  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Tell me about trilogo carded figures please?
« on: April 30, 2004, 12:20 AM »
In a moment of lunacy, last summer I purchased a trilogo carded biker scout.  A very, very nice piece when it arrived and to continue with the insanity, I started collecting (slowly, very slowly) trilogo carded figs.  

I'm curious about the relative rarity of them.  I seem to recall last year that there was quite an uproar over a number of auctions for trilogo carded figures with some pretty astronomical prices as ending bids.  Have I gone in waaaaaay over my head?  Is there some degree of commonness among some and more rarity among others?  

For example, on ebay right now, there are carded versions of 2-1B and FX-7 with $45 BIN prices.  Is this good, or not good?

Enlighten me please.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about trilogo carded figures please?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 01:42 PM »
This sounds like a job for our European fella's, Billy Boy...?  ;)

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2004, 11:33 AM »
The top ten 'hardest to find' Tri-logo cards in my opinion are currently*...

1.) General Madine
2.) Jawa
3.) CCP (Tri backed)
4.) ERG
5.) Hammerhead (Tri backed)
6.) Luke Hoth
7.) Princess Leia
8.) Luke Bespin
9.) Nien Nunb
10.) Boba Fett

The General Madine is darn tricky to find! =

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3170066628&category=50277

*= Some figures seem virtually impossible to find for ages and then I spot masses of them turning up on eBay and at UK toy fairs! (The Tri backed cards often get listed as standard RotJ cards too!) My current 'top ten' is adjusted to reflect what I have noticed in the marketplace recently!

FX-7 and 2-1B can be found quite easily! However bubble condition plays a major factor in the valuation of all Tri cards. Hence IF the bubbles were in very good condition then the $45 BIN is cheap!

Bill  :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2004, 01:37 PM »
Thanks Bill.  

I recall comments earlier either here or on another board that the trilogo bubbles are notoriously thin.  This would seem to be consistent with the auctions I've seen.  Malshaped bubbles with corner dents are very common.  

I think it's too late for the other droids with the BIN's, but the three figs I did pick up were quite nice condition.  The cards nicer than the bubbles as they were not perfect.  

The more I learn, the more I realize how I lucked out with my trilogo biker scout.  Perfect bubble, card is easily C-9+ and unpunched.  $25

I don't whether I should pursue this line or not.  I'm not likely to finish the complete set with the prices for Madine like your example and I've seen Yakface up for considerable sums as well.  Must ruminate on this.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2004, 01:50 PM »
That Biker Scout was a bargain!  :D

Maybe you could start with the 'alternative picture' cards?

Though the Jawa is pretty expensive too!  ::)

Bill

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 08:53 AM »
Interesting list. I never really noticed that those were so expensive on Tri-logo cards.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 10:42 PM »
I only have 3 Tri logo cards and I got all of them for Under $30.  I have Gammorean Gaurd, Lando Gaurd, and Emperor.  They were all in fairly good condition too.  I missed out on a good deal on a Lobot though, it was like $30 or so.  

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 02:23 AM »
The tri-logo card have become much more valuable in the recent years, kinda like the Droids and Ewok stuff. Taking a look in the 1997 ed. of Tomarts Guide, the prices was way lower on stuff like this than the price of today. Still I would say that Steve Sansweet was way off valuing the tri-logo stuff, espically General Madine.

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 04:54 PM »
okay, this might sound like a dumb question, but are the tri-logo figures the same as the palitoy figures? well, what i mean is were the tri-logo figures made by palitoy, or by kenner? or are they totally different?

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 02:24 AM »
okay, this might sound like a dumb question, but are the tri-logo figures the same as the palitoy figures? well, what i mean is were the tri-logo figures made by palitoy, or by kenner? or are they totally different?

This is not a dumb question at all. At the moment I'm updating my famous chart of variations with, tri-logos and so-called foreign variations (Takara, Glasslite, Top Toys and Lili-Ledy). I have asked Billyboy for help on the trilogo and Palitoy stuff, as soon as he fills the holes in my tri-logo list, I can post it here with the differences.

Many of the figures was similar to the Kenner figures, but some of them was indeed the special figures, today know as tri-logo variation. This term is collector made and was not used back then.

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Carl

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 05:02 AM »
I only have one Tri logo and often thought about getting more! but it is finding nice cards with flawless bubbles seams to be quite tricky.
WANTED: Droids, Ewok Prototype & Unproduced coins

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 01:56 PM »
I will most likely be getting some Tri-Logos if I can find some with good bubbles.  To me, anything made by Palitoy - UK, Tri-Logo or German cards - is better than buying ROTJ Kenners. 

I am only just starting to collect vintage MOCs but I'd like to stick with Palitoys if I can, and given the rarity of many SW and ESB cards, I will not hesitate to pick up C8+ Tri-Logos if I get the chance.
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)