Author Topic: Hall of Fame R2 question...  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Hall of Fame R2 question...
« on: May 8, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Okay, I finally found some new figs today, one being the HOF R2-D2. I was under the impression that this was a rehashed Holo Leia R2, but after some inspection, I realized that the HOF R2 is actually the POTJ one.

Did I miss something? Was this always the plan for the figure? Or did Hasbro pull a switch on us? ???
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of Fame R2 question...
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2004, 07:24 PM »
I think you need to ask yourself why you were you under the impression HOF R2 was going to be Commtech R2.  I mean, it's been known for some time that POTJ R2 was the choice for the HOF wave.  

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I think you need to ask yourself why you were you under the impression HOF R2 was going to be Commtech R2.  I mean, it's been known for some time that POTJ R2 was the choice for the HOF wave.  

Force Guy, I think you need to ask yourself why you are being a jerk.  What's the point?

:P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:38 AM »
While many collectors would find the CommTech R2-D2 more desirable, the real reason why certain figures get rehashed over others is a little more complex than what collectors want.  So, why did we get this R2?  It was most likely because of factory issues.  Different factories produce different figures, and also have different tooling.  

In the case of most of the Hall of Fame wave figures, there was an effort to consolidate production to as few manufacturing plants as possible.  Hence, we've gotten the POTJ R2-D2 instead of the CommTech one.  Likewise, we've also gotten the POTF2 "All New Likeness" Princess Leia instead of the POTf2 CommTech version.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 10:02 AM »
Good call Nicklab.  

Wouldn't it have been outstanding if they had used the CT R2 and CT Leia in place of what they did...

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:30 PM »
Many of the HOF could have done with better figure selection.  I sometimes wonder if Hasbro isn't trying to maintain a buzz with collectors by maintaining some hard to find figures such as holo R2 and commtech Leia.  Rather than going down the path of chase figures as other companies have done, maybe they're just following this route.  

Or Nick could just be plain correct :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.