Author Topic: Which Best Buy Shopper Are You?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Which Best Buy Shopper Are You?
« on: May 5, 2004, 11:58 AM »
Saw this in the local paper...

Best Buy a MN company is starting to shift the way they sell electronics and are targeting 5 standard customers...

Best Buy, the No. 1 U.S. electronics retailer, plans to change its strategy to focus on five core customers it has identified. The effort includes spending $50 million to format more than 100 stores in the next year to cater to these customers:

"Ray" -- The core customer at most of its stores. A family man. Not an early adopter of new technology, but he wants good equipment at a reasonable price. Best Buy's goal: prevent Ray from going to Wal-Mart or other competitors.

"Jill" -- Suburban soccer mom who usually hates to shop at Best Buy. Stores that cater to Jill are not as loud, feature softer colors, include a kids' technology section, and offer a personal shopping assistant service.

"Barry" -- This affluent male professional wants high-end home theater and other digital offerings. Stores that cater to Barry offer specialized financing plans, home consultation services and same-day delivery and installation.

"Buzz" -- The young male technophile who wants cutting-edge video and technology products. Stores that cater to Buzz feature early-adopter technologies and places to try them out, including sofas and flat-screen televisions for testing video games or consoles.

Small business customer: This as-yet-unnamed customer relies on Best Buy to keep his or her business running. A California store that caters to a large number of real estate agents, for example, features grouped product offerings of notebook computers, GPS devices and portable printers, all of which can be used to do business from a car. Best Buy personnel called Business Pros will help advise on the selection of equipment.

I guess this approach is working really well in the pilot stores they are trying out in (out West).  I'm really a mix of Ray, Barry and Buzz although Buzz is really dying

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Re: Which Best Buy Shopper Are You?
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2004, 12:10 PM »
I'm Ray...

Scott, no Ray. Wait... Forget it.
The space left intentionally blank.

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Here's an idea:

Jared - This Best Buy customer doesn't fit into 5 stereotyped categories developed by a marketing turd. This customer likes friendly service, checkout lines that don't take 15 minutes to get through, items he needs to actually be in-stock, hates being pimped magazine subscriptions at checkout, and doesn't want to prove his purchases are legit to a pimple-faced teen checking shopping bags at the exit.

When do I get my store?  ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2004, 01:12 PM »
Ouch ;D

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I'd say I'm "Ray," but that I'm definitely in touch with my inner "Jill."

I'm shocked that they didn't use "Bob" as one of the names. They always use Bob.  >:(

I wonder if any women will be upset that Best Buy believes there is only one type of woman that shops for electronics?

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Ouch  ;D
;) Is there any medication available that curbs cynicism? I'm in the market.

I wonder if any women will be upset that Best Buy believes there is only one type of woman that shops for electronics?

Excellent point, very funny. They're all soccer moms, apparently.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Here's an idea:

Jared - This Best Buy customer doesn't fit into 5 stereotyped categories developed by a marketing turd. This customer likes friendly service, checkout lines that don't take 15 minutes to get through, items he needs to actually be in-stock, hates being pimped magazine subscriptions at checkout, and doesn't want to prove his purchases are legit to a pimple-faced teen checking shopping bags at the exit.

When do I get my store?  ::)

Yup, I'm also a Jared. Ask me when the last time I went to CompUSA was. Hint: It was the time the demanded to check my reciept at the door three feet away from the register "for my protection". I dug it out of my pocket, gave them what we collectively call "the business" and never returned. Ever. Until I needed ink for my printer and OfficeMax didn't have any. Stupid OfficeMax! Get with the program!
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life