Author Topic: Rant - Idiot at Circuit City  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Rant - Idiot at Circuit City
« on: May 5, 2004, 02:49 PM »
I'm not a good storyteller, sorry, but dig this...

Last night I was emptying out my wallet, when I found an old Circuit City gift card a friend gave me for graduation. I remembered using it once to pick up the Alien 2-disc DVD. I checked the balance - I had $16 and change remaining on the card, and apparently Circuit City takes out $2 every month just because they are nazis. 'Bastards,' I say to myself before I go to bed.

So today I went to Circuit City and decided I'd get the Aliens DVD to go with my Alien DVD. It was roughly $20, so I expected to empty out the gift card and pay maybe $5 extra.

It should have been really easy. Me give the lady the gift card, she tells me how much else I owe her. I pay her. I leave happy.

But that'd been too easy.

I hand her the card, I say, 'It should have about $16 on it, so I'll have to pay some cash, too.'

She says, 'Okay,' takes the card, and says "Yes, it has $16 on it." I'm thinking to myself, 'Thankyou, I'm aware of that.'

She then fiddles with the card and the computer, then tells me how much I owe her, roughly $6 - I pay her - she asks 'Would you like to keep the card or just throw it away?'

Then I kind of laugh and say 'Well I don't need any extra junk in my wallet,' afterall, what the hell would I want to keep an empty gift card for? Memories?

She says 'Well, it has 2 dollas and twenty-one cent on it,' to which I reply, 'Umm... What?' Yes, she did not empty out my card, instead only deducted $16 from it. So now she asks if I want to throw away the card that she left $2.21 on it.

I say, 'Well I didn't want you to take out $16... I just wanted to empty this thing out so I can get rid of it. I don't want a card with $2 on it. Can you just give me the $2.21?' She says, 'I'm new here, so I dont know how to do that and even if I did I don't know if I can.'

I frown, and realize I better get someone else to help, 'Okay I'll go to customer service then.'

I take the card with exactly $2.21, I take my reciept and the Aliens 2 disc DVD. I then wait in line. When it's finally my turn, this attractive young lady asks 'How can I help you?' I say, 'This cost a little over $20. This card had a little over $16 on it. I wanted to empty this card and pay the rest in cash. However, the lady over there deducted exactly $16 from my card, leaving only $2.21 on it, and I had to pay $5 in cash when I could have just given her a few dollars. I'd really like to have my $2.21 back.'

She takes the card, walks away.

Fast forward 5 minutes of me standing quietly.

She finds some guy working for the store, speaks to him, he shakes his head 'No,' I'm thinking he's saying, 'No we are not going to give this guy his $2.21.' Maybe even, 'No, I'm not doing anything - I'm just fiddling around with the speakers here on display.'

Anyway, fast forward another 5 minutes and some guy wearing a BLACK outfit (as opposed to the Circuit City red) comes up to the register and he's like, "Yea, give him his $2.21."

I smile, 'Yea! I get my money!'

So she gives me exactly $2.21 and says, 'Sorry for the trouble.'

Alright, end of story. To some of you guys $2.21 may seem like petty money to have to go through so much crap through - but god damn - these Circuit City nazi's had taken $2 a month from my account for who knows how long, then want to leave $2 on the card so they can take that, too?

Grr.

SilverZ

Re: Rant - Idiot at Circuit City
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2004, 03:27 PM »
That's a great read.

Is there an expiration date for the cards full amount, then after that the Reich starts taking fees? I'm shocked at that, if not unsurprised. "You can have a gift card, but don't take your time with it, pal, 'cause we want your money so bad we'll just take it under the notion that if you don't use it, you don't need it."

I'm not surprised that the first lady you encountered didn't have a single braincell allocated to creative thinking in her head. You say 16, she does 16. No need for her to apply common sense. I'd expect nothing less.

Second, the girl at the front counter was... what? Attractive? No way! Wonders never cease.

I completely understand your frustration. I'm the guy who dramatically groaned and dropped his chapstick, sunblock, and CD in the clothing section adjacent to the front checkout at Target last week because the line was too long, beyond my limit for patience. You've got a lot more restraint than me.

J

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2004, 03:45 PM »
I refuse to shop at Circuit City, their prices are too high and I will not forgive them for their initial policy of having salemen on the floor, they were like vultures.  Almost as bad as the Service Plan Peeps at Best Buy

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2004, 04:18 PM »

Consider yourself a good story teller ;)
Beth

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2004, 04:52 PM »

You had me at hello.

Wait, you didn't say "hello".

Well Brad, a fine story with a happy ending. I commend you on your patience. I thought for sure they were going to end up asking you for more money at the end. Thanks for the surprise ending.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2004, 06:39 PM »
I better not.

:-X
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2004, 07:56 AM »
See I have the exact opposite experience at my local circuit city. After months of researching a HDTV I decided it was time to take the plunge. I went to Ultimate electronics, Best buy, and some local mom and pop shops to determine best prices and negotiate. Circuit city wound up being the best deal. I purchased the TV the delivered the TV to my home the SAME DAY FREE OF CHARGE. GRATIS. About a week later, I was shopping prices (you know buyers remorse) and found that they had an additional 10% off sale at a competitor. Without hesitation ,I spoke to a the sales person(at CC) who instantly made the price adjustment wihtout talking to 14 other people before they made a decision they just did it and I  wound up saving almost 400.00 dollars.
I walked away tellling my wife I will never shop anywhere else but CC because of the no BS policy.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2004, 07:58 AM by Infamy Of Crete »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I will never shop anywhere else but CC because of the no BS policy.

Here's a tip - never shop at CC in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  :-*

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2004, 06:17 PM »
I agree Brad it does depend on the city and the people they hire. I know exactly where tuscaloosa is I was born in Mississippi lived in montgomery and have been all along the gulf coast from pascagoula to mobile . Certainley don;t miss that part of the south or should I say the Mississippi attitude.