Author Topic: Chronic Laziness  (Read 2233 times)

SilverZ

Chronic Laziness
« on: May 5, 2004, 03:45 PM »
There’s probably already a thread on this. But I’m too lazy to look for it.

Are you lazy? How much so?

I’ve just realized I’m chronically lazy. As in it’s a problem, not just a nuisance to my everyday existence.

See, I’ve been unemployed since December. I am really fortunate that I received a good severance, had a lot of vacation racked up, and a healthy bonus that has, and for a while longer will continue to, kept me happily eating and paying rent and bills. But this, in hindsight, has been the start of a bad trend: not caring about anything or motivated to do anything.

That includes looking for work. I just am too lazy to do it. I think about it all the time, but resign myself to doing it tomorrow. Luckily, tomorrow isn’t an easy word to hold someone to. There’s always another tomorrow that leaves the current ‘today’ open. It’s really pathetic. On the job front though, I really don’t want to go back to what I was doing before, which is a tough situation to be in, being I’ve done what I do since I was 17 and now have adjusted to the pay it brings (if I were to be paid).

This leads me to my second observation. I’ve had months, literally, to do all those little things I always say I’m going to do when I find a little time, or will do when I take a vacation. Organize the DVD collection, make the ultimate OT DVD, wax the car, clean the car, organize the closet, build a network music server, work out, lose weight, read more books, go to the beach, sell my old junk on ebay, fix my projector screen, go to the dentist, learn to play the guitar… It’s an endless list of personally satisfying objectives, all left undone due to complete laziness.

Here it is, May, and hardly anything has been done. Where has the time gone?

So my question is, are you lazy too?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chronic Laziness
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2004, 04:26 PM »
I'm more of a procrastinator.  Things get done, but I almost always wait until the last minute.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2004, 04:29 PM »
I'm more of a procrastinator.  Things get done, but I almost always wait until the last minute.

I'm a lazy procrastinator. I sit on my butt until I finally decide to do something at the very last moment.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2004, 04:40 PM »
I'm a big time half asser, things get done but probably not up to my full effort and could have been done better

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2004, 05:12 PM »
I'm one of the lazyest SOB's that you'll ever meet, unless there is an emergency. Then I am the first one to rush off to help.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2004, 01:29 AM »
Yup. Lazy bastard here.

I don't get up till noon. My car hasn't been washed in three weeks. My apartment needs to be cleaned and the empties taken back. I have enough empty beer cans and bottles to buy something I have my eye on that costs $45, but I don't feel like taking them back. I'd rather build a beerymid.

I have six months worth of comics waiting to be bagged, boarded, and filed, but I don't feel like doing it.

I also don't feel like filling out the University of Iowa application sitting on my dresser, and that's the worst of all. :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2004, 12:03 PM »
I was gonna reply to this yesterday but didn't...

And I don't relly feel like it now either
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2004, 12:20 PM »
I don't think I'm lazy.  I tend to blame anything I don't get done on my bipolar, schizophrenic disorder.  Oh sure, it's a mild case, but convenient at times.  

I'm a procrastinator to be sure.  I could be much, much better at my job too, but I spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time hanging out on the internet at toy boards.  Curse you JD.  

Being human, I do not like doing unpleasant tasks that require effort.  Fortunately, I have a wife that kicks my ass, lest I sit in a computer room doing nothing but surfing and playing games, eating crappy food and emulating Homer Simpson.  

Mmmm, beerymid
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2004, 09:09 PM »
I procrastinate like crazy unless it comes to something I enjoy. I guess that's why I spend so much time on forums when I should be doing my homework.

A recent example of my laziness (moreso than my procrastination) is that I should technically have my license by now. I don't even have my permit yet. I can get my license at any time, but I'm just too damn lazy to do it. :P
« Last Edit: May 6, 2004, 09:10 PM by BobaShek »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2004, 09:24 PM »
I wouldn't say I'm as much lazy as I am a procrastinator. I simply hold off on everything until the last possible second, part of it is being so busy, the other part is... well.... I just naturally drag things out. I also am a chronically late person. I run at least a ten-fifteen minutes late for everything, I can't help it really.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2005, 02:45 AM »
I'm as a procrastinating half-asser. I wait until the last minute and then I can't get things done as well as I would like.

Which is a pain since I have a tendency to be a perfectionist--being unwilling to let go of projects until I slam headlong into some sort of deadline and sometimes beyond. :-\

I, too, am chronically late. Usually it's because I underestimate the transit time or how long it will take to finish a task before I leave. As in, "Looks like there's time to stop here on the way" (famous last words!!) or "I've got plenty of time to finish reading this chapter." ::)
« Last Edit: July 2, 2005, 02:50 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #11 on: July 2, 2005, 03:05 AM »
I'd give a more detailed response, but I didn't read all the posts yet. I'll get to it later....

;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot