Author Topic: RIP Friends  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
RIP Friends
« on: May 6, 2004, 09:28 AM »
I'll admit that I haven't watched an episode of Friends since 1999 but I probably will be tuning in tonight to catch the last episode.  I thought the show was pretty good from '93 until '95 and my wife was a big fan until around the time we stopped watching when I started to point out that we weren't laughing at the show anymore.  Plus Survivor started which is a ton better than the old tired cliches of Friends.  

It does hurt not to watch Jennifer Aniston every week

Anyone going to miss this, going to tune in?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Friends
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2004, 09:44 AM »
We will definitely be tuning in tonight.  I know that a lot of people have started to either quit watching, or even dislike Friends, particularly over the past few years, but I guess that seems to always happen with something that is so popular.  Look at Star Wars...it became "cool" to not like it in some people's circles.  To be honest, my wife and I have pretty much watched this show religiously from beginning to end.  Some are funnier than others, and although we're sad to see it go in some ways...I can see where it is time too.  They are getting old enough now (the characters) where it has run its course most likely.  We've always enjoyed watching it though, just kind of puts us in a good mood when we see it.  I hope the finale goes well.....we were/are HUGE Seinfeld fans, and I thought the finale of that show stunk.  Anyways....yes, we'll be tuned in tonight for sure.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I like the last episode of Seinfeld more and more each time I see it but at the time I agree...it stunk.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I also wanted to add I think the Cheers final episode lived up to the hype...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2004, 10:09 AM »
I have never watched an episode of Friends. Had no intrest in the show.

Best ending I have ever seen was in the Newhart show. The crossover between Newhart & The Newhart Show was a classic.

When Bob woke up in bed & reached over to wake the person sleeping next to him & it was Emily, I just roared!  ;D

A way better ending than M*A*S*H*   ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I'll be watching...and sadly, after this one goes off the air - there will be no prime time sit coms left that I have any interest in.  This is the last holdover from my childhood...

Like I'm gonna start watching King of Queens now?

Nope...no reality t.v., no more sitcoms....looks like I'll have even more time to do anything besides watch t.v. - which is good.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Agreed on Newhart, that one was classic.  Newhart was a great show in general ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2004, 11:17 AM »
I'll be watching...and sadly, after this one goes off the air - there will be no prime time sit coms left that I have any interest in.  This is the last holdover from my childhood...

I agree...

I've been joking that I'll be TV free by 2005.

"Friends" is/was a favorite of my wife and I.  We usually plop down on the couch and watch together.  Once it's over though, all I'll have left that I feel the need to watch is "The Simpsons".

Sure, I watch stuff on TV like Alias, Las Vegas, ER, etc but there won't be any shows left that make me want to set the VCR in case I miss them.

Eh, it'll probably be for the best anyway.  Give me more time to read and or play video games...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2004, 12:24 PM »
I suspect I'll watch.  Despite my overwhelming preference for brunettes, I've always liked Phoebe.  I do not watch the show with any regularity, but sadly when I tuned in, it was as much to see the attractive women on the show as for the humour :-[

I watch very little TV anymore, outside of sports.  I can't think of any truly compelling TV shows.  My wife watches too much food tv and home renovation type shows.  She's good at fixing up the house, so that's cool, but she cooks like crap.  Too fast and more out of interest for filling a hole rather than good food well prepared.  Bless her, she tries hard but women do not belong in the kitchen.  

I can't even think of any shows I watch religiously.  I try to catch That 70's Show on the reruns as much as I can, otherwise nada.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I never really kept up with this show past its third season. I think I'll tape it for ***** and giggles.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Ding dong the witch is dead! La la la! La la la! Now just burn the reruns and I'll be happy!  :D

Friends suck!

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2004, 12:46 PM »
I'll be very glad to see this show leave the air. It sucks and has sucked since Ross and Rachel hooked up (much like Sam and Diane in Cheers and Niles and Daphne on Fraiser and Drew and Kate on Drew Carey and and and)
Bang Bang

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2004, 12:54 PM »
For those that might miss the episode tonight, it will be available on DVD next week.

Friends - The Series Finale DVD. Release Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2004, 02:22 PM »
What is Friends?  ;D

I have never really watched this show. It has a big following.
Good bye Friends.  ;D
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2004, 02:24 PM »
What is Friends?  ;D

I have never really watched this show. It has a big following.
Good bye Friends.  ;D
Hey David, welcome back!  How did the procedure go???