Author Topic: If You Lost Your Collection....  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
If You Lost Your Collection....
« on: May 7, 2004, 01:33 PM »
I wasn’t sure where to put this, since it doesn’t “specifically” apply to vintage, or Saga, or OTC, but collections in general.  Hopefully this is an ok place to put it, sorry if it isn’t.  I don’t mean for this to be a negative post, just something I was thinking about.  If you ever lost your collection, due to theft, flood, fire, natural disaster, etc…..would you try to get it back?  Would you just go after a certain focus?  Would you try to pick up your favorites from your collection, maybe 10-30 figures, a couple of ships, a couple of beasts and just have one nice little display shelf?  Would you just start collecting from what figures were currently out and in the future?  Or, would you just hang it up and quit?  I guess when I was thinking of this, I was thinking mainly of Star Wars collecting…but it can apply to anything and everything you might collect.  I think honestly, if for some reason I ever lost my collection…I wouldn’t try to replace each and every bit of it.  Not that I don’t enjoy it now, I just don’t know if I would.  I’d probably get a condensed collection using one of a few options….(1) a handful of figures from each movie - favorites (2) focus on Original Trilogy collecting only, or (3) pick up “ultimate” type figures (such as upcoming VOTC figs), and main ships from the OT.  As far as other collecting, I don't have much else...mainly Marvel stuff.  With what little I have, I'd probably try to pick up what I had...or at least a Spidey, and a few X-Men.  I hope no one here ever has to go through anything like this (not just because of collection reasons), this is more just a hypothetical question and I was curious what some of you thought.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: If You Lost Your Collection....
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Hmmm, interesting.  I was actually thinking about getting some insurance for my collection and was thinking about what I would do with a check if the whole thing burned to the ground.  I really don't think I would buy it all again.  I think I would do a carded Vintage (first appearance) collection instead.  I think it holds much more nostolgia for me than the modern stuff does and it would be a lot more satisfying and difficult thing to pursue rather than going to Target and buying the latest figures.

Not sure though...I might buy a loose OT modern collection too and ditch the prequels altogether

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2004, 03:01 PM »
The insurance issue is actually what first got me thinking of this too Scott.  We are in the process of moving, and talking to companies about homeowners insurance...and that's something I had just been talking about with my wife, insuring the collection.  I've thought like you too, maybe going back and doing the vintage route.  I've always been (very slowly) working towards a loose complete figure collection, with intentions of moving on to vehicles, playsets, or maybe carded figures after that.  I have a feeling I might lean towards OT-only regardless (modern or vintage)...but there would probably be a few PT figures I might want too (some of the main characters at least).  Although, if it was a start over point, it might be easier to stick to OT.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2004, 03:41 PM »
I would cry. Alot.

Given no one was hurt.

If no one was hurt, then I would cry.

Family comes first.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2004, 10:17 PM »
I currently have a $50,000.00 Insurance policy on my toy collection.
If I lost my toy collection do to some event I would hang it all up and stop collecting for the most part. To me it would not be worth all the effort to try to replace the entire collection that I have been massing for most of my life. For one I have some one of a kind items, those would be gone forever.

I might collect a few figures or items just to keep my inner child alive but I would not rebuild  to be where I am now with my collection.

I would be upset... very upset and sad.

I would hope that this would never happen to anyone.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2004, 10:44 PM »
I really need to get cracking on an insurance policy for my collection. That said, I dont know if I'd go back and get everything or not. Knock on wood, I hope it never happens to me or anyone else.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2004, 01:33 AM »
I hope I don't lose it, because I've been amassing this stuff for 23 years, but if it did happen, I'd buy the best versions of my favorite Star Wars figures, a few X-Men figures, and the Buffy stuff again, and that would probably be it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2004, 04:45 AM »
That would be bad. Hope never to lose my collection this way. If I want to give it for fre, let it be, but not to be stolen onr burned etc. But don;t know if I'll have the patience and $ to rebuild my collection. So I'll go for something else...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2004, 11:33 PM »
We're having this conversation over on the Canadian board.  Sorta.  Basically trying to find out who has insurance and how much they pay.  My insurer charges an astronomical amount, so it's not worth it.  

For me, I'd pretty much bail.  I'd hazard I have probably at a bare minimum $10000 in my collection, if you factor in all the replacement cost for chase pieces, htf stuff, shipping, exchange rate etc.  Probably double that easy.  

Nope, if it goes, I go.  Not worth replacing.  Too much of a challenge and not a pleasant one like hunting for toys at retail or trading.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 01:42 PM »
I didn't mean for this to be a "feeling bad" thread.  Obviously I hope no one here ever has to experience some sort of a disaster where they lose their collection, or anything else.  I have just been working on packing up the collection here for our upcoming move, and just starting thinking "what would I do if I lost all of this".  It looks like many people, like myself, wouldn't want the trouble of backtracking and picking everything up again.  I almost think I would focus only on OT, maybe as small as getting the VOTC figures, or just the OTC collection in general, along with a few ships here and there.  Right, once I started I'd probably end up getting more.  Thanks for the replies though everyone, it has been interesting to see everyone's opinions on this.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 08:45 PM »
My collection is loose and most of the figures are fairly easy to get, even the vintage. Despite that, I know it'll take time to replace the collection. I'll pick up a few here and there and whenever I chance upon them as my mood dictates, but I doubt I'd devote a lot of time pursuing replacements.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I would replace the prop replica's and the posters for sure.  I would probably replace the dolls but to even think of trying to get all the figures boggles my mind.  

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Similar question...If you had to sell your collection, would you put it up on eBay for one lump sum?

$25,000

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2004, 11:15 AM »
I saw that today too Scott, just glancing over some of it, looks like he might have been a little generous pricing some of those items.  I don't know how many people are looking to get their entire Star Wars collection in one swoop like that though...might not get bids, we'll see.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2004, 11:19 AM »
A little generous :P  A lot generous, I was thinking about that the other day, If I ever decided to sell my stuff how long would it take to get rid of?  Over a year I would guess