Author Topic: How Often Do You Watch the SW Movies?  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
How Often Do You Watch the SW Movies?
« on: May 7, 2004, 05:17 PM »
Just curious, how often do you think you actually pop in the tape, DVD, laserdisc, or whatever form of the various movies you might have.  Do you watch one more than the other?  Which one do you watch most...or do you watch them at all?  Personally, I can honestly say I don't really watch Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones all that often....although I watched AOTC a few times right after we got the DVD.  I tend to watch the OT much, much more.  I haven't watched any of them for awhile, but I think I tend to watch Empire Strikes Back the most, followed by Return of the Jedi.  I watch Star Wars (or A New Hope) once in awhile too, but not as much since it is on TV every now and then.  Anyways, how often do you watch the movies...which do you enjoy watching the most?

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: How Often Do You Watch the SW Movies?
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2004, 11:45 PM »
The last time I have actually sat down, and watched a whole Star Wars movie, was Attack of the Clones, when I had strep throat in Janurary.   ???
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2004, 12:42 AM »
I can honestly say that I don't remember the last time I sat down and actually watched a Star Wars movie--any of the five.  I've got the two legit DVDs, and two bootleg sets of the originals, both, er, original and Special Edition.  Last time I probably watched any of 'em was maybe early '03 or something.  

I'll scan through the satellite every once in a while, and sometimes catch the tail end of Clones on HBO, but only stick around for five or ten minutes--I've got an unwritten law that if I've got it on DVD, I'm not going to watch it on regular TV.

I've had a couple of bouts with insomnia as of late, and have thought about popping in either of the prequel DVDs to use as makeshift sleeping pills, but it seems that even the thought of that has been enough cure in and of itself.

As for the originals, I've kind of had a hankering to watch Star Wars a couple of times in the past few weeks, but I'm kind of of the thought that the official versions will be out soon enough anyway--and there's no sense in further burning myself out on something that I'm already way too burned out on to begin with.  

So I'm going to try to go into September 21st as fresh as possible--and hopefully with a new widescreen DLP to boot.

Other than that, there's no real need to watch the originals again as it is--I can pretty much play them in my head to begin with. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2004, 01:29 AM »
I'm holding off on watching the OT until it comes out on DVD, so it feels a little more fresh, as fresh as movies I've seen 100 times can be, anyway.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2004, 03:42 AM »
I actually fired up ROTJ:SE on LD about a week ago to check and see if my little Dolby Digital RF demodulator was working. Ended up watching the whole movie and was shocked to find that the LD's image quality stood up OK on my big-o' screen.

That was the first time in years I'd done so. I was never a fan of ROTJ, but after years of prequels, it's suddenly Citizen Kane. With the exception of "Jedi Rocks" which is the most offensive, inappropriate, and pointless SE modification to the entire series - Greedo shooting first, Jabba's redundant exposition in ANH, Boba breaking the 4th wall, and screaming baby Luke included. It's just plain craptastic.

But overall, I enjoyed what's probably my laserdisc player's swan song. There's not much left to watch that there aren't superior DVDs of now.

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2004, 04:32 AM »
I watch once a month on bootleg DVD's but not very happy until I see the original stuff.

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Havent watched any of mone for a couple of months actually. But I am will be watching them all when the dvds come out in September.

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I watched Attack on the Clones the other night.  But, it's been a while since I watched the rest of them.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2004, 12:35 AM »
ANH was on TV a few weeks ago. I had that running in the background. I watched AOTC when I got my portable DVD palyer for work.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2004, 11:37 PM »
I watch one or two of them a month probably.  Sort of fade in and out with attention and the wife almost always falls asleep.  Too familiar?

Pretty much go back and forth between ANH and ESB.  Occasionally watch ROTJ and would more, but for those accursed furballs.  Shoulda been Wookies.  

Hardly ever watch Clones, though I enjoy it.  Not a bad movie but for the love scenes.  My daughter loves the arena scenes with the animals.  She also likes the love scene where Anakin falls off the beast in the field (the sound of music scene ::)  You hear that LUCAS????  The scene appeals to my four year old!@!!!  Is that the target audience??? >:(

Can't stand Jake Lloyd, so TPM is painful to watch.  Still the best lightsaber battle thus far though.  Surreal.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Like many of the rest of you, I have kind of been holding out for the DVD release as well.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them in that format.  I used to watch Empire almost once a month, but it has been a few months since I last did now.  Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 02:11 AM »
I was going to watch A New Hope and Empire last Saturday, but I decided to clean out my DVD backlog instead, watching Master and Commander, Big Fish, The Last Samurai, and Kill Bill vol.1 (love that movie loud.)

I think I can avoid watching them until late June, then I'll be jonesin' for an OT fix while the DVDs are still months away. :P
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 12:07 PM »
Not very often, like Virex I only watch them when I have some bouts of insomnia.  And in that case, the OT will usually put me right to sleep.  I've seen most of the OT hundreds of times each from almost watching them daily back in the summers of no school.  I think some time in college we sat down, had some beers and watched them all back to back

I've watched both Prequels twice and will watch portions of AOTC on HBO.  Otherwise I'm waiting for the Official DVD's and for my boys to get a little bit older and introduce them to the galaxy far, far away

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 12:55 AM »
So the other day I'm talking to this buddy of mine and he tells me "yeah, the part where Sebulba loses the pod race and goes 'Poodoo'?  Yeah, they cut that out of the Phantom Menace DVD".  

So, like the dumbass I am, I had to pop the disc in to make sure that yes, Sebulba's "poodoo" was left in tact.

I thought so.

Left it in the player, though, and watched a little of it with the commentary on -- in between commercials on "Elimidate". . .

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 11:39 AM »
I watched SW:ANH:SE this past weekend for the first time in months.  I've watched Empire and Jedi in the past couple months. Haven't watched Clones in a couple months. Watched TPM on Fox.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"