Author Topic: Chronicling the construction of my Collection Room  (Read 12928 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Chronicling the construction of my Collection Room
« on: May 7, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Oooh try to say that 3 times fast  :P

With my recent move into a new home, I have the opportunity to utilize a side room attached to my bedroom exclusively for my collection. I've been taking pics of the progress I've made and thought just for kicks I'd make a small website to keep track of everything. So if you'd like please check out the link below to see how far I've gotten. As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

A Work In Progress: My Collection Room
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Newman

• Youngling
  • Meow
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicling the construction of my Collection Room
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2004, 09:47 PM »
Very nice I wish my room was as organized as yours. ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2004, 01:43 AM »
Thats going to look really nice once its all done.  8)  Keep us posted on the progess!  ;)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 12:07 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments. I've updated tonight with a completed diorama and a ton of vehicles.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Always interesting to see someone start a new display of their collection.  It's coming along very nicely, so be sure to keep posting updated pictures of your displayed collection.   :)
dustrho

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments Chris. I spent some time this past weekend working on the room, however there were more setbacks than forward progress. Had the two shelves which were holding the dioramas come off the wall while putting up more shelves and putting together a bookcase. I had pics of the carnage, but accidentally deleted them.  ???
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 04:51 AM »
That is interesting room indeed!!!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 01:21 AM »
In-DEED! :P

There's been some updates since I last posted, including one today where I finally got all my Ep1 and EU figs up along with my Jedi Luke focus.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 01:47 AM »
Sorry I'm late to the party here, Jas...  Cool idea chronicling the progress during your room setup.  I'm contemplating doing the same thing myself, but I don't have a damned digital camera yet, and I've been too lazy/scared to venture into the carnage that is my current collection room (more like a storage facility, really).  Boxes piled floor to ceiling throughout...   :-\

So it's cool, and helpful, to watch your progress, and see how you decide to display stuff.  Gives me some good ideas of what I'd like to do, or not do, so keep 'em coming!  Looks good so far.  Probably a good thing you lost the pix of the shelf collapse too.   ;)

It's been so long since I've had any of my stuff out, that I forget how big a lot of it is, especially those vehicles.  So it's really helpful to get a visual reminder of just how screwed I'm going to be when I try to display all of those.   :'(  Also fun to see just how crazy out-of-control the Jabba's Palace and Cantina dioramas are eventually going to be too!   :P  Makes me rather nervous trying to figure out just how in the hell I'm going to display even half of my stuff (no chance on the carded collection being displayed for a long time, I'm sure).

So how many complete walls are you working with altogether?  About 3 or so, once you've excluded the blinds and door?  Is there a closet in there too?  I've got 2 1/2 walls to work with, but the 4th wall is one GIANT closet, which is great for additional storage.  I'm contemplating taking the 3 sliding doors on it down, and using it for actual display instead, but I'm not sure yet.

Dig the Biggs Anchorhead scene down there too!  Looking forward to more updates, so I can continue to pick your brain and ideas!  Good job so far!   8)

- Matt

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 07:07 PM »
looks good so far jason. if only i had thought of taking the "making of" pictures of my room, since i've been working on it for a few weeks now myself. but i won't hijack your thread, i'll just start my own when i'm done  ;D

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 05:28 AM »
Matt/Dave,

Thanks for the good words, it's been a blast so far working on the collection room, but I'm about to hit a rut. I have what I would guess-timate at being 60% of my modern collection out and display, but I still have the entire vintage collection to put up. And with the vintage I've been looking at getting some nice glass cases for them, but haven't found anything in my budget yet. I'll have to take a pic of the full boxes I still have remaining they're taking up space in the southwest corner of the room and spread across the window area.

Matt: the room itself is actually quite small, it's about 10x7. the room was enclosed from the back porch which is just on the other side of the north wall so I wind up not really having a ton of space. outside of the wall with the windows, the other 3 walls were all bare before hand, with a valance on the northwall, which came in handy setting up the diorama shelves.  so in relative terms I've got a lot to work with. the next step will be some crappy shelves (compared to the diorama shelves) put over the bookcases to display the various TIE's I have. maybe I'll get to that this weekend....

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 10:14 PM »
Haven't been able to do an update to the chronicle just yet, but I've not had much to update either. I got new screen windows installed in the room, so I can actually open the windows when I desire without worrying about every bug on earth flying in and making my toys their personal nest. While getting the room a bit cleaned up so the work on the windows could be done, I shifted all the remaining boxes into one side and man do I have a long way to go, I'll have a pic of that up soon.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 12:32 AM »
While getting the room a bit cleaned up so the work on the windows could be done, I shifted all the remaining boxes into one side and man do I have a long way to go, I'll have a pic of that up soon.

did it look anything like this?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Dave,

If I had put all the boxes I started off with then yeah it would look like that. Right now it looks like my boxes cover about the same amount of floor area as in your pic, but only about half as high.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 07:47 PM »
It only took a month, but I finally did some more work on my Collection Room. Nothing special, just a couple of shelves to hold my modern TIEs. But I also did take a pic or two of most of the boxes o' stuff waiting to be put up here's a sneak peek, check out the rest at the Chronicle...

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin