Author Topic: Honda Accord: Anyone drive one?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Honda Accord: Anyone drive one?
« on: May 13, 2004, 12:44 AM »
So, it's about that time.  Looking at getting an Accord in the next couple of weeks--just kind of trying to find out if any of you guys have one, and how much you like it if so.

Looking at one of the 1998-2002 EX two-door Coupe models (like the body style a little more than the new ones).

Any advice/thoughts/recommendations/pontifications/remembrances/suggestions/insults/jokes/money you can send my way?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 12:45 AM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Accord: Anyone drive one?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 01:30 AM »
No money, that much is certain.  

Back in 1998 we looked at buying a car.  The choice was between an Accord and an Altima.  No Camry's here :-*

Basically it boiled down to me being a cheap bastard.  We could get a comparable Altima for about $4000 less than the same year and similarly equipped Accord.  (Due note: Cars are hideously expensive in Canada)  The Altima has done very well, up until last week not needing any repairs at all.  It currently has about 115,000 miles on it.  The repair was for a new catalytic converter, which cost way more than it should ($1100).  The dealer blames the gas companies up here for putting something in the fuel that screws with the converter.  Not sure, but I couldn't find any dealer service bulletins on the subject, so it's not a common defect.  

All that said, an Altima is a nice car, but if I were to buy one right now it would be 2003 or better.  2002 was the model change to the new body style which is much nicer, but the early versions had cheap plasticy interiors.  Blech.  Subtley changed in 2003.  

Oh right, you said Accord.  Ahem.  

I've owned four Honda's, up until the Altima, the only company I've ever owned a car from: 1980 Civic; 1985 Prelude; 1987 CRX; 1989 Accord.  All bulletproof, but the brakes suck.  If the muffler goes, get an original parts version, more expensive but lasts five times as long as a Midas version.  The Accord had the most miles: replaced the muffler, breaks, starter, alternator and battery.  When it was written off (not my fault, really) it had 219000 miles on it, so the repairs were reasonable.  

Would I buy an Accord now?  Sure, if the bastards at Honda would deal.  Two hours of bickering with a sales lackey and I saved $2500, well worth my time.  Honda up here won't budge on a price.  BUT...Honda holds it residual value better than Nissan does.  In fact, after 6 years, I would actually be $1000 further ahead due to lower depreciation of the Honda.  I'd be torn between a current Altima and an Accord.  

Both seem pretty bulletproof.  The Nissan was an experiment for me, Honda reliability is a given.  I think the Nissan engine has a bit more balls (useful perhaps for chronic masturbators) but I think the Honda has better fuel economy in city driving (something I do very little of, so I appreciate the awesome passing gear in the Altima).  

I plan on keeping my car for quite some time.  I've already killed the residual value due to high mileage and my driving distance isn't about to decrease any time soon.  It's proven it is pretty reliable, something I count on Honda for as well.  

If you can afford the Accord, I would pick it over the Altima because of the residual sales value.  If you're short a few bucks, I'd buy an Altima, though take a serious look at the 2002, you might bump up to a 2003 and that might be out of the price range.  Sure won't be a comparison between a 2003 Altima and a 1998 Accord in terms of price.  And I'm not knocking the 1998-2001 Altimas, just the styling is lacking relative to the Accord of the same time frame and newer Altimas.  

We may well be trading in the Pathfinder that my wife has soon.  The choice will be the same as outlined above, Altima versus Accord.  Good luck.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 03:55 AM »
We've been looking into buying one for a while now, but just haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.  It's still the car we're probably shooting for though.  Aside from the obvious fact that it's the most stolen car in the country, I have never heard anything even remotely negative about it.  I've got several friends who drive them, and they love 'em and swear by them.  Can't really go wrong with one, unless freak hailstorms tend to hit your area, in which case I'd probably just pick up a fuel efficient junker instead...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I'll vouch for the Accord, although I've only driven other Honda products.

I got a 88' Civic Wagon in 91', it had 80,000 miles on it when I got it and 292,000 when I sent it to the American Lung Association two years ago. Not that it didn't have value, just that I needed the write off wanted to help people, since it was Christmas and all...

We now have a 99' CRV LX and a 02' CRV EX, which we bought new. We're not totally geeky, because Honda changed the body style enough we don't look like twins. And they're different colors. And one has two kid car seats in it and the other one doesn't. But the way i can tell them apart is my remote entry makes the horn beep and the lights flash so I can find the car in the dark. Screw the neighbors! It's how my car says "I love you".

We get respectable gas mileage in each and repairs have been minimal (80,000 and 38,000 miles respectively). Honda makes cars that feel solid, even at the Civic price point. The all-wheel-drive on the CRV's has been awesome in the winter and when we go into the mountains.

Regarding dealers, they're pricks in the Twin Cities and in Utah. On the 99', I went through all the dealers in the cities with little price reduction and finally went to a small town about 90 miles away where they were a little "hungrier" and didn't get the volume of potential customers that Minneapolis did.

Salt Lake dealers were even worse. The 02' CRV was in high demand when we bought ours. Honda had just changed the body style and increased the size of the engine. It was winter, and a lot of people in Salt Lake were looking for an all-wheel-drive car. None of the dealers would budge off of MSRP, one was charging $800 over MSRP, and I honestly believe they were engange in price fixing. It was cheaper for me to pick one up in Kansas City (we were already planning to fly there for Christmas) and drive it back to Utah. I made the deal over the phone. I called four dealers, and one was expecting delivery of the color and model we wanted while we would be in town. I offered my price and they accepted. No "I'll go see if my manager will let me...", no b.s., and respectably below MSRP.

I say go for an Accord, no question. I'm also going to guess you're smart enough to avoid all the "rust protection" upsell traps and that you know to check non-Honda dealers for used Hondas. They're more motivated to get a car brand that is not theirs off their lot, and people generally don't go to the Ford dealer "looking" for an Accord.

We've been looking into buying one for a while now, but just haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.  It's still the car we're probably shooting for though.  Aside from the obvious fact that it's the most stolen car in the country, I have never heard anything even remotely negative about it.  I've got several friends who drive them, and they love 'em and swear by them.  Can't really go wrong with one, unless freak hailstorms tend to hit your area, in which case I'd probably just pick up a fuel efficient junker instead...

Anyone else notice how comfortably Matt mixes "trigger" and  "shooting" gun metaphors into his description of car shopping? Only in LA baby! Word!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 10:50 AM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 11:13 AM »
I've got a 94 Accord, great car - I'd recommend it to you (any year from 94 to current).

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 11:26 AM »
I've never driven an Accord, but I'm currently working on driving my 93 civic to its last mile - and it shows little sign of slowing down.

Honda makes a fine product no doubt.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36 AM »
My family has had a number of Accords.  They've all been great, and extremely reliable.  I own a Honda currently, but it's a CR-V.  Still a really reliable car.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 11:41 AM »
No Camry's here :-*

You son of a JDCTTRAA!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 12:16 PM »
No Camry's here :-*

You son of a JDCTTRAA!

Mission accomplished ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Here's an idea...when you start posts like this, lets get some follow through to see how the story ends.  Did you buy an Accord?  Maybe you decided to buy a Segway and drive around OKC that way.  Or perhaps you mutated wings and you can be seen flying around the city

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2004, 12:03 PM »
His level of commitment to the forums lately has been a tad disappointing. I think he's taken to the bottle  :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2004, 12:14 PM »
He's been telling me he's had "computer problems"

Perhaps you're right Jamie

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2004, 12:44 PM »
Yeah, I had this nagging feeling that I needed to both update this thread, and thank everybody for their advice, but my "computer problems" have made web-surfing incredibly difficult lately.  So much so, in fact, that I began composing this post at eight o' clock last night.

As for the car, though, still don't have it yet.  Went out and looked a little bit last night, actually, but I'm waiting on some things to happen financially before I can do anything.  Hopefully I'll be in a new car in about two weeks.

Still set on a '98-'02 style Accord.  Looked at some '04's last night, but I just don't care for the body style.  Definitely prefer the angles on the older model.

Thanks all for your help and concern.

When I get my new wheels, though, I'll update this thread again.  In fact, I'm going to start on my reply right now.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 01:00 AM »
I bought a "new" truck tonight...and by new I mean a '97 Dodge Ram 1500. My Blazer was on its last legs and I've been riding the crotch rocket to work basically every day, so it was time to break down and get something a little more practical.

If you would have hurried up and gotten that Accord maybe we'd be hanging out at Bonaroo right now. My little town's overrun with hippies right now loading up at the last Wal-Mart before you hit Bonaroo. Lucky bastards...