Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting  (Read 60942 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2005, 09:43 AM »
I'm feeling better about the future with the announcement of "The Saga Collection".  This is the type of line I've been looking forward to, and hopefully it will be handled well.  I'm a little concerned about a remaining ROTS glut hurting the chance of finding the new stuff, but we'll see about that.  The rumored figure total (56) for the year is a little higher than I expected, but many of those (half?) could be repacks, so that lightens the financial load a bit possibly.  I always liked the "themed wave" idea that we had in Saga 2004, and I think that worked fairly well.  With a few exceptions, those waves weren't too bad to find initially, so hopefully that will help that as well.  Like others have mentioned, I'm very much ready for some new OT product.  Other than clones, clones, Padme, and maybe a few SA Jedi...I could take a bit of a prequel break for a bit.  I won't mind the repacks either as long as they aren't the majority of the line, and they are fairly decent choices.  I can't wait to see the reaction with Cantina Han is released yet again :P.  Just kidding.  I hope we can see more pics and more info on this line soon, I'm already looking forward to it.  Vehicles sound like they will be minimal, and if we do see them, repacks/repaints.  I was disappointed to see that the Q and A with Randy at GH today basically told us flat out "no Cloud Car is likely"...but it does sound like a TIE with accurate wings is on the way.  The future doesn't look too bad overall to me though, and hopefully it will make everyone (or most) happy.  First time we've been able to have a line covering the entire Saga, could be fun.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2005, 09:56 AM »
I like the packaging and I can live with the repacks.  I'll probably collect this line like I did the OTC one - all 38 carded makes for a nice presentation considering everything else I own is loose.

Then again, maybe I'll just buy the ones that are improvements/new tools to replace the POTF2 buff ones I have.

I'm getting burnt out with this ****, to be perfectly honest.

And another thing that bothers me is the theme for each assortment - each one is a "battle." 

Waddup with that?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Some interesting highlights from the Hasbro 2nd quarter report that was released today:

- Net revenues up 11% to $572.4 million, compared to $516.4 million a year ago, driven by strong performance from STAR WARS products;

- Toy segment net revenues up 25%, reflecting strong performance from STAR WARS products

- Revenues in the U.S. Toys segment were $209.3 million for the quarter compared to $167.2 million a year ago, reflecting a strong performance from STAR WARS

- International segment revenues were $210.2 million for the quarter compared to $179.2 million a year ago, reflecting strong performance from STAR WARS

Apparently, the RotS line is doing well so far.  Of course, these sales were at a peak traffic time of retailer re-orders and such for Summer/Fall product.  It will be interesting to see how fast the numbers fall off next year with no more movies to come...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2005, 01:30 PM »
Cool. Yay us! ;D
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2005, 01:39 PM »
Don't you mean yay for the people with a vested interest?

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Touché.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Just as an update to the vehicle thing I was talking about earlier, here is the Q and A portion, courtesy of Galactic Hunter.

From GH:
GH: We've also been told by the Swami that most of the vehicles next year will be rehashes, including a TIE Fighter with more accurately scaled wings. Are there going to be any newly sculpted vehicle for Episode III and the Original Trilogy like the Cloud Car?

Randy: No Cloud Car. I can tell you that.

GH: Yeah, Brian Wilke (Hasbro designer) joked around with me that he hates the Cloud Car because it's like the taxi cab of the Star Wars universe. And I told him that makes the Landspeeder a Pinto and Sandcrawler a garbage truck. (laughs)

Randy: Well, I like the Cloud Car. I think it's pretty cool. But we don't have plans for the Cloud Car. For the vehicles next year, we're mainly focused on Titanium. Anything that comes out in 3 3/4 inch scale will be an enhancement to what's out there like the TIE Fighter with more accurate wings. We're tooling those up from scratch so it's gonna be pretty big and cool. But we will be making vehicles that we have better.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I haven't had any time to post my discussions with the Hasbro guys yet, but I did ask about the Cloud Car at the Q & A (can't remember if it was after the panel officially wrapped though).  They said NO, go buy the vintage one, to which I expressed a good amount of frustration...

I also asked them what the status was on the Tie Fighter with accurately scaled wings, that they confirmed to me last year at SDCC, and they said it's definitely on the way soon, and will be an exclusive (but wouldn't say to whom).  They also confirmed that it will have the revised (correct) cockpit that came out with the KB exclusive Tie a couple years ago.

They also mentioned that the U-shaped portion of the Cantina bar (probably with distillery) would still be coming at some point soon here as well.

Can't remember what else right now though, but I'll post some more later when my senility's slowed down a bit...  :P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2005, 04:44 PM »
I want a damn AT-TE and Turbo Tank.  Damn them to the hottest depths of hell.   :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Well, I guess if there's going to be no new Cloud Car, I should go ahead and find the cockpit windows that my vintage one is missing.  :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Y'know, Hasbro could still be having a "strong performance from Star Wars" if they'd get some new crap on the shelves!!  I have money to spend on Star Wars, and I can't find the product.  That's un-American!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 02:43 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I wonder why Hasbro hates the Cloud Car so much. There's obviously a demand for it, and it wouldn't be that expensive to produce. Also, they could sell it for a low price (like $20). It's just mind boggling.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2005, 11:00 AM »
My big fear or question is whether or not the retailers can pull it togeather. The theamed waves are great and I fully suport them. However, when we have lulls like we're experincing now, one would hope thaat retail can keep new product on the shelves as it's released.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Frankly I don't care about a Cloud Car; What I really want in the Saga Collection is a wide-release Tie Bomber.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2005, 11:35 AM »
I'm all for a new Cloud Car... I can't believe they haven't put this out yet.  Maybe they are waiting for the ESB 30th anniversary.

Seems though that Hasbro has plans to keep the line around for quite some time... funny how so many people thought it would end right after ROTS.  Oh, you poor negative people.   :-*