Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting  (Read 60935 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2006, 10:02 AM »
I have to admit, I feel like I am getting an overdose of 3 3/4 these days.

Exactly to my point. I think the sheer volume this year could be overwhelming. In a way, I can see that Hasbro is just trying to keep things going from their incredible year last year, and I don't blame them, but the question is, can it be sustained? Another odd factor for '06 is that, due to inventory, we haven't seen the usual flow of product yet, so January's continuing sell outs could be misleading. Time will tell, as always, but it will be interetssting if the pace can be sustained.

I think sideshow had a nice racket. Sideshow's 12" line will go on for years to come.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:03 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Excellent points by everyone.  I think price is a big issue.  I have been fortunate enough so far to find the 2006 figures at WM, for $5.88, so it hasn't been quite as bad...but the $6.99 price at Target scares me a little.  That is really about my limit as well for the most part, and sometimes that is pushing it.  I, like many/most of us, paid the $10 price for the VOTC figures...and sometimes I felt ok with it (Han, Chewie, Stormtrooper) and sometimes it felt a little high (3PO, Yoda, etc.)  Then we saw the ROTS line, which had a lot of figures that were of just as high of quality as the VOTC but were being offered for $5.  I think we've seen that they can do this cheaper now, so that makes the $10 price tougher to stomach.  If the line was only available online, or was quite limited (20 figures a year or something), and the figures were all of top quality...I think I would end up paying the higher price, but if it was something like a 50 figure year with $8-$10+ prices, I just couldn't keep up financially with that.

It seems from reading the comments, that although sometimes Star Wars collectors (or collectors/fans in general) do get a reputation for being hard to please (and honestly, sometimes we can be)...that looking towards the future we aren't asking for a whole lot.  A lot of people's responses have been similar....keep the price in check, don't release quite so many figures, keep the quality up to a standard that has already been set with the basic figures.  Give playsets a try in some way, throw in a vehicle here and there, and "trim the fat" of the other lines that are pegwarming at retail (Choppers, Transformers, Unleashed Battle Packs, Force Battlers, etc.)  It seems like a lot of us are even open to things being online exclusives, as long as there is enough so that everyone can get what they want.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I agree, the worst thing is the pricepoint.  I can stomach Walmart's $5.88, but the Target price?  I might get a few figures here and there at that price.  But not extras for army building.

As for wanting 30-40 figures per year, I could be on board with that.  In a way, that might really be what we're getting this year if of the 80 or so figures, nearly half are rehashes.  So if you look at it as a collector who collects what they want rather than being a completist, you're fine.  I've passed on Barada, Chewie in chains and Rieken so far, and it felt good.  Of course, I bought 5 Bibs though (4 for customs!)   ;)

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2006, 12:25 PM »
True, when you consider the repacks, the number might not be quite as daunting.  I do feel for the completists though, because 80 figures this year is insane if that is true.  I just buy what I want as well, but have ended up buying a few of the repacks/repaints because I missed them the first time (missed out on some of the POTF2 line), or if the repaint just looks nice.  I passed on Rieekan, and although I haven't yet seen him, I will probably pass on Vader too.  I'd kind of like to pick up the R2, just for the gadgets and everything that comes with him.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2006, 01:23 PM »
I haven't bought a single saga figure yet. I got so burnt out buying the ROTS stuff that I just couldn't stomach going into another year with another mountain of figures coming out. I'd be happy if they could just put out 12-20 figures a year, a playset or two, definatly lightsabers and blasters of various types and some ships. They way it used to be, back in the day. I think some of this new stuff is cool but the only thing outside of the 3 3/4 line, ships and playsets I've bought are a couple of unleashed, some of the exclusives and a set of the new hope galactic heros. I also picked up a few lightsabers (not MR) and blasters (not MR) and that's it. I'd love to see a new Death Star play set but I doubt that will ever happen. If they put out a new death star that was kick ass I may go out and start picking up the new saga line. Otherwise I'll wait until I can find a dealer at a show dumping stock to pick up the majority of Saga 2006. I look back on 2005 with ROTS and it was like I had a crack habit. I spent so much money on gas alone just trying to track this stuff down that it almost wasn't worth it. Honestly, I'm thinking of dumping everything and using the cash to go to shows and find the stuff I've always wanted, mostly vintage stuff I had and destroyed as a kid. I am all for the 3 3/4 unleashed idea on another thread though. I'd pick those up. That's primarily because hasblo wouldn't be pumping out 12 a week and mixing the assortments to make it nearly impossible to complete a run without owning your own gas pump and having a horde of lackeys hitting stores and picking stuff up for you. It's nuts. I went through this with POTF2 also, I don't have a single saga figure from the first time they did this and don't care about it. I don't have any PM or AOTC figures either. I do have all of the VOTC that I wanted. Sorry, just had to go on a bit of a rant and probably off topic.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: February 1, 2006, 12:04 AM »
On the issue of quality and cost...  I'm to the point I'd take substantially less (not that I want less, I'd buy lots of stuff if I could) if it meant quality went up...  We've seen a regression in the line unfortunately between 2005 and 2006.  Somewhere in January the figures have gone backwards I'm afraid.  This trend appears to be continuing and it's disappointing.  I'd take far fewer figures if it meant Hasbro adopted a higher standard...  I just want a good quality, POSEABLE, action figure out of this company...  Leg articulation that hasn't advanced beyond 1983 though is just really inexcuseable at this point as an avid consumer of this line.  When I've got enough for one action figure, and I"m looking at a super poseable soldier in 21st's line right next to Hasbro's limited articulation figure(s), I'm just at a loss...  Plus the 21st figure is still less than $5 and from a vastly smaller company working with a lot less.

If knee articulation weren't proven to be so possible and easy over the last 2 years or so, I'd maybe feel different, but they can and should deliver better figures...

As far as playsets go, again I don't know that quality is the question.  2002 saw a $40 Gunship that by all intents and purposes is a GOOD toy (I don't care for the scale, but my opinion there aside it was a great toy), and yet it didn't sell...  It saw clearance at multiple stores.  Can Hasbro deliver really high quality at $30?  The ARC Fighter was...  It didn't sell well.  The Jedi Fighters are $20, they're amazing really even by my standards, and they didn't sell great...  I think Hasbro's seeing those kinds of trends and saying that despite price and quality, they don't necessarilly have a hit, and thus it's a gamble, and thus they don't want to roll those dice...  If they do a great Death Star in a modular style I'm first in line to get one but I'm not hopeful on it...  They might though, I just am not hopeful.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2006, 09:47 AM »
The push for getting star wars into every niche is disappointing. The choppers, transformers, force battlers, metal ships, mini-figs, and now metal figs. If there are people out there that love them, great, but we don't seem to see many of those people around these parts.

But as long as retail is happy with the line, we get to keep on chasing. So let Hasbro make some stuff at various price points to keep the retailers smiling and rolling in our filthy money.  ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Well, now that we have a bit of a peek into the future of Star Wars collecting (at least the end of 2006 into 2007), how do you feel about things?  It seems like more and more of us are getting a little tired of the basic line - whether it is repacks/repaints or just so many years logged into the line in general.  It looks like at lease some of the "other" lines will be gone by 2007 (Choppers, Force Battlers, maybe 7" Unleashed?) while others are staying (Smaller Unleashed, Transformers, Galactic Heroes).  The basic line looks to be continuing the same style, mixing new sculpts and repacks.  We'll also see a new line of 2 packs, "starfighter" sized vehicles, some exclusive vehicles and figures, and more of the VOTC/VTSC figures.

With all this in mind, do you like where things are headed or settling in?  What would you like to see at this point?  Although the repacks are a pain, I guess I can skip them.  However, I'd rather see a scaled back line (its hard for me to keep up with 60-80 figures a year), consisting of mainly new sculpts.  Being realistic though, repacks are part of the line.  Like others have mentioned, almost anything prior to the POTJ line (with some exceptions) shouldn't be released and should be resculpted to today's standards.  The two packs could be a nice idea, although the initial offerings might not look great to many.  Getting two figures for $10 in Star Wars would be nice though, especially if they are new or newish.  Heck, if they want to stick older VOTC/VTSC figures in these packs with a new figure, I wouldn't complain either (especially Stormies).  And, although I'm running out of room for them, I'm glad to see the vehicles continue.  I think its good to have an ongoing $20 pricepoint assortment, but hopefully we'll see more than Jedi Starfighters in it in the future ;).

As far as "other" lines, I've always kind of preferred those were kept to more of a minimum.  At least compared to the past couple years.  I'm talking about lines at retail I guess mainly - the "online" stuff is higher end and very nice, and its good to have stuff from Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, etc.  My two favorite "other" lines have been the large scaled Unleashed and Galactic Heroes.  The future isn't real bright for Unleashed the way it looks, and if it dies, I guess that saves me some money.  Galactic Heroes seems to finally be noticed by Hasbro though, so we may see more there - although the repacks are getting out of hand in that line as well.  Overall, what do you think of the future of Star Wars - what do you like or dislike - and what would you like to see?

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I really think the question here is not what do I think about the future of Star Wars collecting, because that is far beyond my control. I can answer the question of where am I with Star Wars collecting ajd Hasbro.
This is a question I have spent some real time thinking about over the last 2 months because I have reached a point where I felt I was getting too much into the hunt and the hobby at the expense of other things. When I spend $100 to $200 a month on this, for me that is too much. I just increased my 401k contributions to 12% of my wages (I can save up to $15k a year before employer matching is added to it) and thought that I want to increase the amount of money in my nest eggs. So part of this is a financial decision on my part. I have also watched others I know get too much into the hunt or into the hobby at the cost of other items and in the end, decided regardless of anyone else, I had to make some changes.
The basic line has reached a point that I am bored. I am done with most army builders. No need to have an army because any display is small, 3-5 clones, a Jedi etc.  I don't do big (except for the Balrog that just came out, but that isn't SW). I am down to themes in my collecting and whether or not I like or want the character.  My themes are Jedi, Clones, Main Characters.  I just don't have time, room or want to put my money into everything. So, I will buy from each wave, only those figures that fit my themes, that I do not have (NO, absoluetly NO rehashes) or that are significant improved sculpts. Otherwise, pass.  That will scale me WAY back on what I am getting.
Next, vechiles.  I'm done. I will get the snowspeeder since I do not have one, and my son wants one. But that is it, no more. My son is 12 going on 13 so he has stopped playing with most ships, and I just don't have the room; well, I am not going to make the room for items that can never be in scale and are over priced for what they are. I am tired of seeing the Jedi Starfighter redone in how many paint colors just to make it easier on ReHashbro.
All other items at retail, I am done with.  I would imagine that next year I'll pick up 20 figures probably and that is all.  I made a conscious decision in my teaching to move more of my collecting dollars over to my students so that we can engage in higher learning activities that will hopefully broaden their understanding of concepts, and give them something to remember. My 12 year old summed it up last June for me when he said (he was in my class), "Dad, one seven dollar figure can buy 2 books, or 1 pair or group of 4 science project supplies.  I think its worth it for us to back down from collecting and for you to help the kids in your class out." Out of the mouth of babes or children.  That made me think, and by doing this I estimate I will save anywhere from $35 to $50 (just for figures) and I can send that money to the classroom and buy enough supplies to fuel 1 science or social science project a month for my class, or buy a literature group a set of 6 books that they will read.  I narrowed my son's comment to Plastic or People (kids)? There really is no choice. That and I am starting my Masters this year and finishing an endorsement so time is very limited and what time I have, I don't want to consume it all with hunting. I will hunt when it fits into something I am already doing, or order online if the price and the want is right.
I have also gotten back to a hobby I love, which is taking plastic minatures of soliders from time periods, modifying them and painting them and putting them in a display of no more than 10 to 12 on the display piece (a block of wood with a diaramha of vegetation on it). I have enough figures but the time to do this hobby is consuming. But my daughter loves it and is doing it with me so if it is something else that keeps my 13 year old hanging around Dad, good thing.

On a side note, please realize that as a teacher I do get a supply order that covers the basics each year, and from $150 to $200 for other items. It seems that no matter what, I spend $1000 to $2000 a year doing this. To do the things that I really like, and that the kids engage in like mummifying chickens (Ancient Egypt and then when we do micro-organisms we go back and ask why the decomposers/bacteria didn't decompose the chickens), an Astronomy Family Night to show consellations and look through telescopes, to buying micro-organisms for the kids to looks through in telescopes after we have grown them (again, I am in Utah and in the winter the ponds around here are frozen often), plastic half circles to chart the movement of the sun during the school day, supplies to make instruments for heat light and sound, growing mold and bacteria in aguar and petri dishes, and it goes on, requires money. I know that by doing these hands on activities that my kids understanding of the concepts increases by connecting them to things they have done in real life.
So to answer the question to where I am with collecting it comes down to this; time is very precious right now and my free time goes to my wife and kids.  Next, I have a personal commitment to teach according to a certain philosophy and part of that requires some funding from me. I'm tired of getting 2 to 3 figures I like, and a bunch that are rehashed and I either don't need or don't want. So, I'll pick up the 2 figures or so a wave I want and that fit a theme of what I want to collect. If there is nothing I want, then I can just fade away and won't be missed in the collecting world. I don't want to fade away and not be missed by my students.
That is where I am at. I have backed off big time, and though I still consider myself in the hobby, I am not what I was six months ago.  My wife is pretty happy about it, but most importantly, I am extremely happy. 
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2006, 02:23 PM »
I agree with Brian's statement that more and more of us are getting weary of the basic line. Not that there aren't some good things happening, but the sheer quantity of product and the percentage that are repacks and paints make it less interesting and more inimidating.  I find myself looking to significantly slow down my Hasbro purchases in general, although there is enough excitement to keep me around the line to pick up the things I do like. Some of the ships that are coming out (Hailfire droid and Mace's starfighter) interest me, many more do not (just too many repaints, even if Anakin's sith starfighter looks cool).  I was very pleased with the new dagobah x-wing, and now feel I have the only X wing I need for any scene.

So while I won't turn my back on Hasbro completely, the box after box after box in my basement suggests they have done 90% of everything I want, and I can slow my purchases way down and not feel that I am missing too much. The greatest battle and Heroes and villians lines confirm that suspicion. The fact that galactic heroes are moving to multipacks that include so many repackaged figures is another sign that my interest probably peaked a few years ago, and is on the decline. I don't begrudge Hasbro doing it, many people are playing catch-up or just starting and it makes sense for them to put the products out there. I just don't have as much to be excited about personally.

Now other lines are hitting their stride or just taking off- Gentle Giant is a consistent home-run hitter in my book, many people like the sideshow 12 inch line, master replicas, kubricks, etc. More and more of us are finding our space and funds too limited to keep going at the pace we did originally.

So I will try to keep the Hasbro part of my collection at a steady state, picking up a few items here and there, letting a few go here and there, as I focus my collection more and more.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I agree with Brian's statement that more and more of us are getting weary of the basic line. Not that there aren't some good things happening, but the sheer quantity of product and the percentage that are repacks and paints make it less interesting and more inimidating.  I find myself looking to significantly slow down my Hasbro purchases in general, although there is enough excitement to keep me around the line to pick up the things I do like. Some of the ships that are coming out (Hailfire droid and Mace's starfighter) interest me, many more do not (just too many repaints, even if Anakin's sith starfighter looks cool). 

Get out of my brain! That's almost exactly how I feel. Funny thing is, I had always been wondering what, if anything, would get me to this point, now I know.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2006, 07:26 AM »
I am looking forward to the end of the 3-3/4" line.  It has been overkill for me.  50+ figures each year has taken its toll on cost and space.  Plus I dont get as excited anymore about new figures being released because we know that 99% of them will be made by Hasbro.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Most of the time I am bored with the 3-3/4 line.  I remember the day that I was excited as a little kid to find new figures and I was in my 20s.  But lately it is like, ok, there it is and then I have to think whether or not I want it based on what I have read and how it (and the paint app) looks. 

I know there is no way Hasbro can keep me interested in their product until 2018.  I am already buying about 50% less than I used to, even army builders.  My guess is that by 2010 the hobby would have lost me.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2006, 09:57 AM »
I have a prediction that '07 is going to be a bit of a turning point for Hasbro. Reason being, EU. There's just way too much EU coming out next year. I think the McQuarrie figures will do decently, but I think anything else EU related is going to move slowly and force Hasbro to change strategies mid-year.

It's not to say that there's no interest in EU, but that interest is more Hardcore fan based and there are a lot more casual collectors out there than we realize.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I have a prediction that '07 is going to be a bit of a turning point for Hasbro. Reason being, EU. There's just way too much EU coming out next year. I think the McQuarrie figures will do decently, but I think anything else EU related is going to move slowly and force Hasbro to change strategies mid-year.

It's not to say that there's no interest in EU, but that interest is more Hardcore fan based and there are a lot more casual collectors out there than we realize.

That seems like a dead-on assessment to me. I like some Expanded Universe stuff, but everyone (fans/consumers) has their niche (videogames, comics, novels, etc) and will only be interested in a small portion of what is produced.

The 2006 tsunami of Revenge products is getting tiresome to look at, and the Naboo wave coming out really doesn't get me excited. I expect Hasbro will have kept a few aces up their sleeve regarding OT product with the anniversary. But I personally do not need any more TIE fighters, X wings, gunships, jedi starfighters, etc.

I know they don't believe it, but playsets would be the way to keep me pumped. Give me some good diorama material for the 10 years + worth of figures I have sitting around. I just picked up a vintage dagobah playset to use in my new dagobah x wing set up. I have one of the POTF 2 generator/trench set ups in my Hoth scene, and I could sure use a bunker playset for my Endor scene. Tatooine could use at least a few playsets (Lars homestead, a good Jabba's throne room,  and a decent cantina). Hoth could use a cave for the wampa set up.

Those products would have me running to the stores again (or at least the computer to order them). I want to show off what I have accumulated, not continue to fill boxes.