Author Topic: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?  (Read 79622 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« on: May 16, 2004, 05:25 AM »
It's been quite a while since I've really bothered figuring out where we stand on the total number of basic carded figures to date, just in case Hasbro wanted to surprise us with something cool similar to the 300th Fett from the POTJ line a couple years ago.  So I've put together some rough numbers here, with a few debatable figures and sublines, I'm sure.  I'll try to notate some of those issues at the end here, so you guys can comment and maybe we can come to a general consensus as to where we really stand.

But by my count here, it looks like #500 will actually be the very last Saga figure this year - one of the Bespin figures.  Pull out the questionable Star Tours and animated Clone Wars line though, and you wind up with #500 being somewhere in the middle of the OTC run.  Perhaps Hasbro could instead do a #500 for just the modern era though, which would obviously be a bit further down the line.  So without further ado, here's my preliminary breakdown, based on some quick research.  It's by no means dead-on accurate, I'm sure - so feel free to give me your numbers, and answers to my questions below, so we can make any adjustments to this list, as necessary.  I'll try to break these down as much as possible, just to help further isolate any potential issues or inconsistencies.

Basic Carded Figures:

Vintage - 96
Droids - 13
Ewoks - 6
POTF2 - 82
SOTE - 5
EU - 9
Flashback - 11
Commtech - 9
Episode 1 - 50
POTJ - 58
Star Tours - 9
Saga - 121
HOF - 12
CW regular - 11
CW animated - 8
VOTC - 12 (upcoming)
OTC - 38 (upcoming)
----------------------
Total - 550

Here's some notes on what I did and didn't include.  Feel free to discuss them!

- Episode 1 - included all 4 Battle Droid variants (clean, dirty, shot, slashed)
- POTJ - included clean and dirty Biker Scout, plus the 300th (boxed) Fett
- Saga - included both head variants for the RFT and IO
- Clone Wars (regular) - includes Red ARC Trooper
- Exclusives - I didn't include any of the Silver anniversary figures, or Jorg Sacul
- I suppose the inclusion of both the Star Tours and the animated Clone Wars figures is up for debate, but I've included them for now.  I also hate to include the stupid vintage Ewoks and Droids lines, but since Hasbro included them for the 300th Fett figure count, I suppose they should be in here too.

Speaking of #500, what would you guys want to potentially see as a figure for this special occassion, should Hasbro actually do something?  Me, I'd say it's got to be an "ultimate" figure, with the most amazing detail, accuracy, articulation, and accessories.  I'm probably thinking either a Tatooine or Jedi Luke, with ALL the fixin's.  Yeah, I know we've had a million Tatooine Lukes already, and we also just got a couple Jedi ones too, but I'd love to get some cool $10 box set here, with a ton of stuff.  A Tatooine Luke similar to the special 100th 12" figure Luke, that came with like a bazillion accessories, pretty much covering him from the entire ANH movie.  Or a Jedi Luke, with enough removable clothing parts, interchangeable hands, and accessories to cover his entire ROTJ role.  Either one of those would be very cool with me.  Rumblings of a 500th Vader are also floating around the net as well.  I think I could handle that figure too!

So, what do you guys think?  What are your numbers on where we stand, and who would you like to get as a figure?  Think Hasbro will actually do something again, or just blow it off?  I think I recall GH running a poll on this topic this last month, so hopefully they're on to something over there, and that a commemorative 500th carded figure is indeed on the way!   8)
« Last Edit: June 9, 2004, 02:05 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Coming in OTC?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 09:10 AM »
Should be close, I had read somewhere that the Episode III figures would be about the time of Mister 500.  Vader seems like a lock

SilverZ

Re: 500th commemorative figure... Coming in OTC?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 10:42 PM »
Vader sure seems like a shoe-in. But man, that is the last figure we honestly need another of at this point. The VOTC version is pretty close to locking an ultimate version, except for a removable helmet.

How about an ultimate Biker Scout with Speederbike in a nice windowbox?

I’d like an SA Clone style figure that can look good in a neutral standing position and still be able to ride a speeder. If that can happen, and the bike is an OT paintjob with the updated (correct) handles, I’d be pleased as punch. As happy as a clam. Like a pig in…

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
500th Vader
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2004, 09:21 AM »
If the rumors pan out what do you want to see in a 500th Figure Special Super Duty Vader?

Me:

Removable 2 Piece Helmet
Ball Joint Shoulders
Ball Joint Elbows
Ball Joint Knees
Ball Joint Ankles
Soft Goods Cape
Wrist Articulation
And....

Meditation Chamber

Go All out on this sucker and make it a mini diorama from ESB

Anything else?  Perhaps light up effects on his control box or a battery operated hissing sound (like the 1st Saga R2 beep)?

« Last Edit: June 9, 2004, 09:23 AM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 500th Vader
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I'd like everything Scott has listed PLUS:

Figure Features:
Detachable forearm

Accessories:
A second "clean" Anakin (Hayden) head
full Lightsaber plus Hilt-only saber
Mini-Holo Emperor (like the one with Dooku)

CommTech chip with the following ESB Phrases:
"What is thy bidding, my Master?"
"All too easy..."
"Impressive... most impressive, but you are not a Jedi yet."
"I am your Father"

FreezeFrame slide with Carbon Freeze Vader shot.

Flashback Photo with Vader/Ep3 Hayden

Not too much to ask for, is it?  8)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 10:05 PM »
I'd like everything Scott has listed PLUS:

Figure Features:
Detachable forearm

Accessories:
A second "clean" Anakin (Hayden) head
full Lightsaber plus Hilt-only saber
Mini-Holo Emperor (like the one with Dooku)

CommTech chip with the following ESB Phrases:
"What is thy bidding, my Master?"
"All too easy..."
"Impressive... most impressive, but you are not a Jedi yet."
"I am your Father"

FreezeFrame slide with Carbon Freeze Vader shot.

Flashback Photo with Vader/Ep3 Hayden

Not too much to ask for, is it?  8)

Jeff

what, no stand??  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 10:15 PM »
I figured he'd be seated in the Meditation Chamber, so no need for a stand.

;)

Jeff

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 10:19 PM »
ahhh.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:08 PM »
If the rumors pan out what do you want to see in a 500th Figure Special Super Duty Vader?

Me:

Removable 2 Piece Helmet
Ball Joint Shoulders
Ball Joint Elbows
Ball Joint Knees
Ball Joint Ankles
Soft Goods Cape
Wrist Articulation
And....

Meditation Chamber

Go All out on this sucker and make it a mini diorama from ESB

Anything else?  Perhaps light up effects on his control box or a battery operated hissing sound (like the 1st Saga R2 beep)?

You guys see the recent rumors hitting the net?  I think it was GH who reported last week that a source of theirs up in Canada says this WILL be coming with the Meditation Chamber, as more of a "Deluxe" type of figure.  Cross your fingers!  That'd be one more highly demanded Deluxe set we could all check off of our lists...  Hopefully the Vader figure itself gets the royal treatment as well.   8)

Not exactly going to be the "500th Figure" by my count though, going by my calculations below (though a few of my figure categories might be debatable):

Basic Carded Figures:

Vintage - 96
Droids - 13
Ewoks - 6
POTF2 - 82
SOTE - 5
EU - 9
Flashback - 11
Commtech - 9
Episode 1 - 50
POTJ - 58
Star Tours - 9
Saga - 121
HOF - 12
CW regular - 11
CW animated - 8
VOTC - 12
OTC - 38
----------------------
Total - 550

:-\

Not that I really care, as long as we get the figure.  Just jacked up counting.  Again.

SilverZ

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Considering the VOTC version is pretty spiffy aside from the elbow articulation and non-removable helmet, it's going to take something pretty shocking to get me on board with another Vader. What would really sell me is a good - and I mean better than the trash compactor sets looking good - diorama included with the figure. Not too sure if the meditation chamber does that for me. Vader in an egg just isn't that compelling to me.

At this point I don't see the purpose of keeping track of the figure numbers after so many rehashes, exclusives, and various incarnations of figure releases in the line, either. No one's ever going to agree on the number. They might as well just call it "commemorative".

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 08:02 PM »
if you don't count the recards in the vintage line, why count them in the modern? that would probably bring the total closer to 500. oh wait, if we took the recards out, that would bring the total closer to 400  ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:03 PM »
I wish I had more faith, but if indeed the speculation is true and Hasbro is planning on offering up a 500th Vader, well, Hasbro's repack-o-mania leads me to believe that some "new" variation of this is what we'll get:

Take the old Complete Galaxy Chamber, toss in a "new" kit bashed Vader (vOTC body with Rem Helmet Head maybe?) and there's your 500th "special".

Hasbro has given me NO reason lately to expect something new that isn't tied directly to Ep3, so until I see otherwise, I'm gonna have to go ahead and expect the worst from them...  :-\

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 12:12 PM »
That's the first thing that crossed my mind too Jeff, some kit-bashing of that Complete Galaxy Vader set.  And, like you said, it wouldn't be surprising with the repack-o-rama that has gone on this year.  Hopefully they'll pull something a little more special out for the "500th figure".  Heck they did for the Fett, and that was only 300...seems like 500th would be a little more significant ;).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 02:30 PM »
That's the first thing that crossed my mind too Jeff, some kit-bashing of that Complete Galaxy Vader set.  And, like you said, it wouldn't be surprising with the repack-o-rama that has gone on this year.  Hopefully they'll pull something a little more special out for the "500th figure".  Heck they did for the Fett, and that was only 300...seems like 500th would be a little more significant ;).

Yep, same thought here, even back in June this is what I thought you were hinting at.  What with the pics and all ::) 

When I was in the states this weekend I enjoyed not buying stuff.  Up here we have cruddy starburst backgrounds (change blue to black on Saga cards and you have the idea) so the opportunity to pick up some 'real' OTC figs should have been great.  But I have all the figures I saw: Bossk, IG-88, etc.  The only one remotely tempting was a Tie Pilot, the background was great.  But I have 6 sitting under my desk here at work on Saga cards.  What, really, would be the point in getting another. 

I'll see what Vader looks like, but like Jeff, don't count me as excited at this point.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Trying desperately to write this without spoilers...

So just in case:

I know it seems like a solid rumor that the med chamber is a lock, but wouldn't it make more sense in the new movie year that this be a more ROTS styled figure... meaning a different set piece from a certain pivotal scene? With certain removable or interchangeable parts? It certainly would be deluxe enough, I think.