Author Topic: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?  (Read 79598 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Exactly.  I mean, do we start including the vintage 3-packs as legit variations?  what about pack-in figures?  It just seems like something of a waste of time unless it's legitimately helpful to people as some way to catalog what they have.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23 PM »
And let's face it - regardless of release date, Hasbro always has the ultimate wiggle room and can say "Well this is the Xth figure that we conceived" and put any figure they want and any milestone they want. It would be nice to see an all-comprehensive encyclopedia on the Modern line get made so you could (a) fully appreciate the depth to this line and (b) make sure you have everything you want according to your own collecting standards...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 04:40 PM »
Exactly.  I mean, do we start including the vintage 3-packs as legit variations?  what about pack-in figures?  It just seems like something of a waste of time unless it's legitimately helpful to people as some way to catalog what they have.

Well, I was just operating under the assumption that it would be a similar calculation to the "300th" Fett, where they were supposedly only going with regular carded figures.  They may have something else in mind, but regular carded figures would indeed give you the lowest potential number, which is their best shot at this point, since we can see they're already over that as well.

I'm sure it'll be pretty entertaining, just like the last go-round with Fett.  The end result with the Fett, IIRC, was that they were "only" off somewhere between 3-7 figures altogether (granted, not if you break it down on a 100, 200, 300 basis).  I have a feeling they won't be anywhere close to such a minor discrepancy this time around.

I was also speculating a while back though, that they may be nixing the entire vintage run this time in their calculation, so maybe "modern line" is going to be the ticket here...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 04:41 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Let's try it that way:

With my original numbers, excluding vintage:
Basic Carded Figures:

Vintage - 96
Droids - 13
Ewoks - 6
POTF2 - 82
SOTE - 5
EU - 9
Flashback - 11
Commtech - 9
Episode 1 - 50
POTJ - 58
Star Tours - 9
Saga - 121
HOF - 12
CW regular - 11
CW animated - 8
VOTC - 12 (upcoming)
OTC - 38 (upcoming)
----------------------
Total - 435

Plus Jim's updates:

Emperor Hologram
Clone Wars Animated (new) = 6 (including 3 Clone variants)
POTC = 8 (includes all repacks and repaints)
EP3 Preview = 4
EP3 = 57 (including Guard variant)

Total = 511

That at least gets them down to a point where they can fidget with the numbers a bit, like excluding the Star Tours Droids, or maybe some of the Ep. 3 figures if they haven't hit prior to the Meditation Vader's arrival.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 05:03 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I for one can't believe the level of thought that's going into counting everything up.  Are we all that anal-retentive?  I'm just happy to get the Vader in Meditation chamber, and screw the number.  Is it really THAT important?

I agree, weve been hearing rumors of this fig far a good 5 years now.  While I dont care how we get it, it still interests me how Hasbro determines these numbers. 

Another thing that is F'ed up and always pissed me off was that to get to 300, only basic carded figs determined the number,  Then they release the Fett 300 in box display and not even on a card ???

Things were so much more simpler in the vintage days.  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:00 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I for one can't believe the level of thought that's going into counting everything up.  Are we all that anal-retentive?  I'm just happy to get the Vader in Meditation chamber, and screw the number.  Is it really THAT important?

No, it's not important at all.  And yes, most of us are that anal-retentive too.  It's just amusing to see how close Hasbro's getting with their number, especially if they're specifically naming something "500".  Plus, we're relatively bored, and a lot of us have OCD, so we thought we'd do the math.  No biggie, Nick.  :-*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:12 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2005, 07:31 PM »

No, it's not important at all.  And yes, most of us are that anal-retentive too.  It's just amusing to see how close Hasbro's getting with their number, especially if they're specifically naming something "500".  Plus, we're relatively bored, and a lot of us have OCD, so we thought we'd do the math.  No biggie, Nick.  :-*

Sometimes I wonder if there really is another world out there ;D    Its pretty sad to think we need to know how Hasbro gets to the big 500 with so much more going on in the world.  Oh well.  I'd rather just dwell on this a bit longer ;)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2005, 01:03 AM »
It just seems like something of a waste of time unless it's legitimately helpful to people as some way to catalog what they have.

Are you kidding me?  I spend half my days going through my xx different versions of checklists I've designed in order to keep track of everything.  How else am I going to remember what I own when I've been doing this for so freakin' long?   ;)

Besides, 500 is just a cool round number, so Hasbro probably figured they must be somewhere around that point.  And based on Matt's list there, they could easily fudge things to get to 500.   Nice job, M.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2005, 01:24 AM »

Maybe I'm just too busy and occupied with the rest of my life to care about the numbers adding up.  I just want the damn figure, not to rain on anyone's OCD parade.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:24 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2005, 08:38 AM »
Galactic Hunter has a larger preview pic up of the 500th Vader figures.  You can check it out HERE.  Looks pretty cool to me, can't wait to pick it up.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Here's the pic, hosted by me.

If I'm not mistaken, the price is kinda high - $14.99.

Is that the VOTC Vader?  Or is it just the cape that is throwing me off?

Edit:  And am I the only who was hoping for the top of the chamber?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:53 AM by ruiner »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Well we are just seeing the product itself.  It probably comes in some special box or something to jump the price up.  You know the drill. 

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2005, 12:03 PM »
now THAT is an exclusive I want to have ;D
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2005, 05:10 PM »
While I understand that making things to scale is difficult, this this is so small it's funny.  To me, it looks like Vader's toilet, which would be down the hall, and to the left, of his meditation chamber.

I would have paid 25.00 for a good size chamber with a bottem and a top.

Who knows, maybe we can redeem our Jedi Points for a top half!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2005, 05:44 PM »
While I understand that making things to scale is difficult, this this is so small it's funny.  To me, it looks like Vader's toilet, which would be down the hall, and to the left, of his meditation chamber.

As Uncle Eddie would say:  "$hitters full" :P