Author Topic: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?  (Read 79654 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Small pic, but it certainly looks very promising there!  Looks to be OT as well, so that's a big relief.  Or maybe Vader uses the chamber in ROTS too...  Either way, as long as it matches the ESB version, I'll be happy.

Nice, reasonable price point as well.  Really looking forward to this one.  It's been a LONG time coming, when you think of the MANY times we've all tossed around ideas for Deluxe figures over the years.  No idea why it took Hasbro so long to catch on, but I'm just glad they finally did.

Still quite curious to see how they're going to get even remotely close to that "500" number...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 01:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05 PM »

Still quite curious to see how they're going to get even remotely close to that "500" number...

How else.  They'll botch things up like they usually do. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Aren't we more at like 800?  Seems like 500 was passed eons ago.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 04:43 PM »
On my spreadsheet I have around 700 pre ROTS with that its around 770-780  And I know I've missed quite a few figures I don't own or care about (EU crapola)  So its probably between 800-900 right now :P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 05:40 PM »
How about just the basic carded Scott?  We arent nowhere near 700-800 yet.  I wonder if they will consider figs like Sacul, Silver Figs, Battlefront, Different Colored Clones, etc when they tally the numbers. Also what about all the resculpts with the OTC line?  Will they recount these again?  There is a dozen ways to fudge the numbers to add up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 06:03 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 06:52 PM »
Well yeah how many figures are there?  Anyone try to add that up yet?  I do not mean just basic carded.  I mean you count Logray and Wicket seperately instead of one.  That has to be past 800. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Well - if you count ONLY single carded figures let's see:

OTC: 39
CloneWars (movie style): 13
CloneWars (animated): 14
Saga: 135
POTJ: 56
EP1: 50
SOTE: 5
EU: 9
POTF2: 103
Jorg Sacul
Toy Fair Vader
Chrome R2-D2
Silver Fett
Silver Clone
Silver Sandtrooper
Silver Vader
Battlefront Bikerscout

That makes for a total of 432

What I included: the Hall of Fame wave as part of Saga's tally, Fan Club Holo Emperor as part of OTC. I counted the Animated Clone color variants as individual figures, I counted the movied-styled colored Clones that came cared with Anakin, Yoda and the ARC Trooper as three more figures in the Clone Wars tally. I counted the Battledroid variants for EP1 as individual figures. The POTF2 tally includes both the individually carded Vader sculpting variant that was originally a SOTE 2-pack figure AND the Fan Club exclusive Wurher.

So basically I counted RELEASE instead of actual figure.

If you add 58 (for ROTS) and 1 (for 300th Fett) to 432 you get 492 - 8 figures shy of the 500 mark. Adding the 12 VOTC figures to that tally brings the total up to 504! So you could easily "play" with the numbers to make the Meditation Chamber Vader the actual 500th figure - just put that last five ROTS figures AFTER the 500th Vader in the list.

I suppose if you discount EVERY OTC and Hall of Fame figure that is actually just a repack, discount the paint-op variants for things like Battledroids and Clonetroopers, you might get down to a number that you could add the original vintage count of what 76 figures (?) to bring the tally closer to 500.

So believe it or not, if you stick to single carded only then we're actually pretty close.

What amazes me is that there were less than 100 total figures made for the OT in the vintage line. Since 1995 there have been well over 400 figures made. So that averages out to over 40 a year. The vintage line only averaged at roughly 12 figures a year.

Amazing huh? And what makes it more amazing is that this doesn't even include Deluxe, pack-in, Electronic, Millenium Minted Coin, boxed, etc... figures
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:12 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 02:26 PM »
You forgot the Vintage Line.  This is what I get without variations and just basic carded.  Did not include mailaways (Spirit Ben, Han Storm, Mace Sneak, Oola, Kabe & Muftak, B'Omarr) ??? No Cinema Scenes, DLX, etc. ???

Vintage = 96  (not including Blue Snag, Rebo Band)
Droids = 12 (not including Vlix)
Ewoks = 6
Orange Card POTF = 26
Shadows of the Empire = 5
Green Card POTF = 28
Freeze Frame POTF = 27
Expanded Universe = 9
Flashback POTF = 11
Commtech POTF = 10
Episode 1 = 47 (not including 3 variant Battle Droids)
POTJ = 56 (not including Scout variant)
EP2 Preview = 4
Star Tours = 9
SAGA 2002 = 57 (not including IO, RT, BD, ET variant)
Jorg Sacul
SAGA 2003 = 41 (includes Luke, Jango, Han, Leia, 3PO repack)
Clone Wars = 10 (not including Arc variant)
Hall of Fame = 12 (C-3PO only new carded from MM line)
OTC = 38 (includes all repacks and repaints, only 10 new carded in series)
Emperor Hologram
Battlefront Scout Trooper
VOTC = 12
Clone Wars Animated = 11 (not including 3 Clone variants)
POTC = 16 (includes all repacks and repaints, only 8 new figs in series)
EP3 Preview = 4
EP3 = 56 (not including Guard variant)
Silver Figs = 6
EP3 Exclusive = 2 (Holo Yoda, Lava Vader)
300th Fett

Total = 608 ???

« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 03:35 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 02:34 PM »
What amazes me is that there were less than 100 total figures made for the OT in the vintage line. Since 1995 there have been well over 400 figures made. So that averages out to over 40 a year. The vintage line only averaged at roughly 12 figures a year.

Those were the good old days.  Don't get me wrong, I sure do enjoy getting many of the characters in figure form that we never got in the vintage days...and its always nice getting more and more figures, but in times like this (movie years in particular), I kind of long for those days where there wasn't quite as much to get to complete your set.  A little bit cheaper of a hobby that way, and space doesn't become as much of an issue.  Of course, I decide what I pick up, so it is my own fault ;).

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 03:03 PM »
You forgot the Vintage Line.  This is what I get without variations and just basic carded.  Did not include mailaways (Spirit Ben, Han Storm, Mace Sneak, Oola, Kabe & Muftak, B'Omarr) ??? No Cinema Scenes, DLX, etc. ???...

Yeah - as it turns out I left a lot of stuff out - I didn't include the 4 AOTC Preview Figs, the 4 ROTS Preview Figs, and the entire POTC line. I didn't include the Bikerscount POTJ variant, the ARC Trooper Clone Wars Variant, and the ROTS Royal Guard variant - that's a total of 26 more figures.

So, if you take just modern individually carded figures, my total comes up to 530 which is WAY past the 500 count.

So if you discount painting variants of the same release - that subtracts:
Clone Wars: 4
Clone Wars (Animated): 3
EP1: 3
POTJ: 1
ROTS: 1
So you'd have to minus 12 from my tally bringing the number to 518

So there's still a huge discrepency regardless of whether or not you include the vintage line (which the tally for the 300th Fett DID include).

You only really start dropping the tally when you take the Cantina Han figure that first came out on POTF CommTech and then has been released to death in HOF, Saga, OTC and POTC (for example).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Here's my original post in this thread with some of the numbers I put together (quite a while ago now).

It's been quite a while since I've really bothered figuring out where we stand on the total number of basic carded figures to date, just in case Hasbro wanted to surprise us with something cool similar to the 300th Fett from the POTJ line a couple years ago.  So I've put together some rough numbers here, with a few debatable figures and sublines, I'm sure.  I'll try to notate some of those issues at the end here, so you guys can comment and maybe we can come to a general consensus as to where we really stand.

But by my count here, it looks like #500 will actually be the very last Saga figure this year - one of the Bespin figures.  Pull out the questionable Star Tours and animated Clone Wars line though, and you wind up with #500 being somewhere in the middle of the OTC run.  Perhaps Hasbro could instead do a #500 for just the modern era though, which would obviously be a bit further down the line.  So without further ado, here's my preliminary breakdown, based on some quick research.  It's by no means dead-on accurate, I'm sure - so feel free to give me your numbers, and answers to my questions below, so we can make any adjustments to this list, as necessary.  I'll try to break these down as much as possible, just to help further isolate any potential issues or inconsistencies.

Basic Carded Figures:

Vintage - 96
Droids - 13
Ewoks - 6
POTF2 - 82
SOTE - 5
EU - 9
Flashback - 11
Commtech - 9
Episode 1 - 50
POTJ - 58
Star Tours - 9
Saga - 121
HOF - 12
CW regular - 11
CW animated - 8
VOTC - 12 (upcoming)
OTC - 38 (upcoming)
----------------------
Total - 550

Here's some notes on what I did and didn't include.  Feel free to discuss them!

- Episode 1 - included all 4 Battle Droid variants (clean, dirty, shot, slashed)
- POTJ - included clean and dirty Biker Scout, plus the 300th (boxed) Fett
- Saga - included both head variants for the RFT and IO
- Clone Wars (regular) - includes Red ARC Trooper
- Exclusives - I didn't include any of the Silver anniversary figures, or Jorg Sacul
- I suppose the inclusion of both the Star Tours and the animated Clone Wars figures is up for debate, but I've included them for now.  I also hate to include the stupid vintage Ewoks and Droids lines, but since Hasbro included them for the 300th Fett figure count, I suppose they should be in here too.

Speaking of #500, what would you guys want to potentially see as a figure for this special occassion, should Hasbro actually do something?  Me, I'd say it's got to be an "ultimate" figure, with the most amazing detail, accuracy, articulation, and accessories.  I'm probably thinking either a Tatooine or Jedi Luke, with ALL the fixin's.  Yeah, I know we've had a million Tatooine Lukes already, and we also just got a couple Jedi ones too, but I'd love to get some cool $10 box set here, with a ton of stuff.  A Tatooine Luke similar to the special 100th 12" figure Luke, that came with like a bazillion accessories, pretty much covering him from the entire ANH movie.  Or a Jedi Luke, with enough removable clothing parts, interchangeable hands, and accessories to cover his entire ROTJ role.  Either one of those would be very cool with me.  Rumblings of a 500th Vader are also floating around the net as well.  I think I could handle that figure too!

So, what do you guys think?  What are your numbers on where we stand, and who would you like to get as a figure?  Think Hasbro will actually do something again, or just blow it off?  I think I recall GH running a poll on this topic this last month, so hopefully they're on to something over there, and that a commemorative 500th carded figure is indeed on the way!   8)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Did we have an actual lineup to get to Fett 300?  Looking at the back of my Fett you cant clearly see how they got to that point since the numbnuts at Hasbro put 4 freakin pictures covering up the lineup.  Id like to see that lineup and then try to get to 500 from there. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Did we have an actual lineup to get to Fett 300?  Looking at the back of my Fett you cant clearly see how they got to that point since the numbnuts at Hasbro put 4 freakin pictures covering up the lineup.  Id like to see that lineup and then try to get to 500 from there. 

Nope - their methodology of getting to 300 for Fett (or 100 for the Vintage Han w/Carbonite or 200 for EU Mara Jade) was always sketchy at best
Peter

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I for one can't believe the level of thought that's going into counting everything up.  Are we all that anal-retentive?  I'm just happy to get the Vader in Meditation chamber, and screw the number.  Is it really THAT important?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005, 04:10 PM »
No it is not important at all.  I think we were just wondering how many Star Wars figures have been made over the years.  At least that was all I was getting at.  It gets to crazy to have a definitive list with all the variations and reissues etc. 

The world may never know.