Author Topic: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?  (Read 79632 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« Reply #165 on: July 1, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Yeah, great review there Pete.  Feels like I've got one already, after reading that.  And I assume there's not a single mention on the packaging anywhere of exactly how Hasbro actually reached that magic 500 number, right? (forgive me if I missed that)

- M

The packaging itself merely has a statement on the bottom of how this figure commemorates the 500th action figure produced by Hasbro and how iconic Darth Vader is. Blah blah blah. No effort whatsoever is made to illustrate how they arrived at the number 500 and what 499 figures came before this one.

So we're just going to have to take this for what it is - a nice display piece, with a pretty decent figure inside.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 1, 2005, 11:01 AM »
Cool, thanks so much for clearing that up for me Pete; it is very appreciated. I can't wait to find one of these now. ;D

Have they started showing up at non-TRU retailers yet?

Still too early to find them at other chains, IMO.  They don't reset til the second week of July.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 8, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Came home tonight from vacation, and my 500th Vader was waiting for me at the door.

Opened it (what a pain with the twisty ties) and it's a definite winner.  Not quite as good as the VOTC Vader (doesn't have ball jointed shoulders) but other than that, it's great. 

He has an extra right hand that can hold his lightsaber (other set of hands are to be resting on his knees in a relaxed position) and his cape is removable, and has an odd extra elastic piece to keep it on (but it's not really a bad thing).  His helmet piece though doesn't want to stay on the head too well.

When sitting down, this is one hell of a display piece.  I am happy with it and want to see a few more figures done in this fashion.

It is a little overpriced, but to get cool environments like the meditation chamber are worth it to me.

:P

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2005, 07:23 PM »
I picked one up today and am really thinking about taking the figure back. For $19 it just seems like it is way over priced. That and I have the Death Star Mediation Chamber with a similiar Vader that I think fulfills the need. I am really going to have to think about this. I have the 300th Fett, so I figured I'll get the 500th Vader, but I am thinking for the $20 I can hold on to it and get some rehashed/repointed clones (3 of them) instead of one figure. Thougths to help me deicide would be appreciated.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2005, 02:04 AM »
I've seen him at KM and I can't bring myself to pick him up for their routinely over-inflated price.  $20 is highway robbery.  $16-$17 is just painful.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2005, 10:33 AM »
I'm going to pay $10 for it.  Either on sale, on clearance, on ebay, or somewhere else and if I never see it for 10 then I will not have it.

I think I can go on living without it.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I paid about $20 for mine online.  I think it's worth it... just love finally having a meditation chamber.  Though I do think they should have made a real top for it.

:P

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2005, 05:28 PM »
blackdog where did you get yours?  chewie where'd you order yours?  all shelves are bare out in my neck of the woods unless you want an army of Bails'.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Found mine at a Kmarrt here in Utah. I hid one for a friend who picked it up today. I am thinking about returning it for the Anakin 3 pack that I have hid (money is tight). IF I decide on that and IF you want it I would sell it at cost plus shipping, IF I decided to return it.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2005, 10:46 AM »
Found it at Kmart yesterday. They had two, both marked $7.99. Somebody forgot to add a 1 before the 7. Saved me 10 bucks! :)

money is tight

I know how that feels. If these weren't marked wrong, I wouldn't have gotten one. :-X
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:48 AM by Ook »

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2005, 01:54 PM »
if anyone has any trouble finding this figure, go to your nearest KM, i've seen 3 500th at 3 Kmarts intact!!

i guess no one wants to pay 17.99 for it  >:(

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2005, 02:27 PM »
I saw them yesterday at KB also...didn't even look at the price.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Has anyone snapped a shot of their Evolution Vader sitting, unmasked, in the meditation chamber? I'd like to see that. I can't wait to get Anakin Evolution so I can stick Vader in there.

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Decided to keep the 500th Vader and the Anakin Evolutions (my 11 year old son WANTS the Anakin Evolutions bad!). Oh well, just money. I go back to teaching next month and will have about $200 - $300 out of pocket expenses for starting the year so that is why my spending/collecting money is tight.  I might have to sell some of the dups I have of the AT-TE Gunner and the SA Clone #41 to get the other clones coming out.
I did sell a green 3 pack (had 1 extra) so that will help.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I found two Vaders sitting on the shelf of the local Wal-Mart earlier this morning.  I got one of them and a kid came by right behind me and took the other one.  The good news is that they rang up at 14.88, which is better than both TRU's and K-Mart's price.  So, I guess the watch is on for these at WM now.  :)