Author Topic: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?  (Read 79637 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: 500th commemorative figure... Vader?
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Great find DP!

I guess this means that WM's are finally starting to implement their resets!

$15 is much more palatable than the $17-20 reports from other stores...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Well, after trying to figure it out for several weeks now (no, it hasn't been the only thing I've been doing), I think I may have nailed how Hasbro came to their magic "500" number with very little fudging on their part, but a lot on mine.  Here's a little backstory:

When the 300th Fett came out in 2001, the back of the package had a list of the 300 figures to that point.  The list included the figures from the Droids and Ewoks lines and its pre-300 ended with Plo Koon from the POTJ wave just before the Fett was released.  It was with that in mind that I started to modify 301-500, but I had to do something interesting to get it down that far.

First of all, I pissed all over Hasbro's list and removed the Droids and Ewoks figures.  I've never considered them a part of the basic action figures line, due to the stylistic differences, so they both went out the window, as did the Animated Clone Wars figures.  Given Hasbro's selective attention, I figured they wouldn't be above forgetting the Ewoks and Droids lines when coming up with 500 either.  :)

Now, on the 300th Fett packaging, Luke was 1, Carbonite Han was 100, Mara Jade was 200, and Fett was 300.  Since Hasbro counted Luke as 1, I went with that, but the ditching of the Ewoks and Droids figures brought Han out of 100, leaving it wide open for... the POTF2 version of Darth Vader.

Basically, figures 1 through 96 is the vintage line (with C-3P0 with Removable Limbs and R2-D2 with Periscope and R2-D2 with Lightsaber all included).  97 begins the POTF2 line with, again, Luke Skywalker, and after that it's in alphabetical order by wave.  Darth Vader is the third non-Luke figure in POTF2 alphabetically, so he's number 100.

Now, funnily enough, using this logic, figure number 200 is no longer Mara Jade, but...the POTF2 Flashback Anakin Skywalker.  Even in alphabetical order, it still wound up that way without any of my tinkering.

Which brings us to figure 300, which I kept as Boba Fett, but in doing so, I had to move the formerly 299 Plo Koon back a bit, and 299 is now the end of the Fan's Choice Ellors Madak wave, and that figure is Sabe.  Boba Fett still comes in a "break" in the sequence of basic action figures, but he comes a bit later in the game.

Strangely enough, we keep the Skywalker tradition going with figure number 400 who is, again, I'm not fudging things, Padme Amidala (Lars Homestead) from the 2004 Saga lineup.  At that point, things were just too eerie for me, but I pressed on nonetheless.  :)

And figure 500 is, of course, Darth Vader, but who was just before and who was just after him?  Figure 499 is the ROTS Destroyer Droid (figure number 44) and Figure 501 is the ROTS Tarkin (figure number 45). 

Now, as for what was and wasn't included:

Now Included:  R2-D2 with Sensorscope, R2-D2 with Lightsaber, C-3P0 with Removable Limbs (Vintage)

Not Included:  Variations of the Battle Droid (Episode I), Scout Trooper (POTJ), Battle Droid (Saga 2002), Rebel Fleet Trooper (Saga 2002), Imperial Officer (Saga 2002), any recard of a figure without major changes for any reason (e.g. 31 of the OTC line), the Droids and Ewok vintage lines, and the Animated Clone Wars lines.

Is it accurate?  Probably not, but it's the closest I could come after about 25 different tries to get things to match up.  If there is interest (and the mods don't mind the massive list), I'd be more than happy to post it here.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Went looking for one at TRU today, and an employee looked in the back but came up empty. He told me to check their website for one. Little does he know that you can't order it on Amazon.

Now I'll have to check out Wal-Mart. I'm glad its cheaper there, as I don't want to give Philip Wise TRU any extra cash.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Love this figure, kind of dissapointed in clear packaging as mine is rather hazy, not quite a full clear package.  I like the small mechanism that lifts his helmet.

My Kmart had him at the $20 mark.  A little steep, I'm hoping to find one for $15 so I can take it back.  $15 is a good/reasonable price for this fig.  $20 a little steep.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline T16skyhopp

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 2, 2005, 08:46 PM »
jsut picked him up. im an opener but his packaging is damn cool. is there a way to preserve the packaging so i can put him back in it?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 2, 2005, 09:04 PM »
is there a way to preserve the packaging so i can put him back in it?

Okay, this is going to be a long one, but it might be worth reading if you're an opener that can't bear to part with the actual packaging on this (like me).  There is a way to remove the figure and the top of the chamber from the packaging, but still leave the bottom half of the chamber attached to the cardboard base.  And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll tell you how to do it. :)

First of all, you'll want to cut the tape that holds the four corners of the cardboard base (henceforth referred to as "base") together.  Some of the tape might run off onto the bottom of the base, so be very careful when cutting the tape.  To be safe, only cut along the edge of the cardboard where the two sides meet and the tape overlaps. 

Once you have the tape cut, carefully pull the tabs, one by one, that hold the bottom of the base to the sides of the base.  The tabs are kind of like the ones that hold most boxes together nowadays (a tab in slot type of thing), but the cardboard on the base is not as strong as those boxes, so be very careful not to tear the tabs off completely.  There are two tabs on three sides, with the fourth side being hinged to the bottom and top of the base itself.

When you have the tabs out of the slots, you should now be able to open the bottom of the base on its hinge.  Looking at the inside of the base, you should be able to see a smaller cardboard square inside, with a baggie that holds the cape, lightsaber, and extra hand.  Get the bag out of the way.  There will be two twist ties along with plastic guides that hold the meditation chamber itself in the packaging.  Carefully untwist these ties (DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THE CHAMBER AS YOU WILL NEED THEM LATER), and gently pull the shell and the chamber from the cardboard base, being careful not to rip the cardboard when you do so.

Once you have the chamber itself off the base, you can turn the chamber upside-down.  The shell and bottom of the chamber are held together by several (smaller) twist ties like the ones that hold the chamber to the cardboard base.  Gently untwist these ties as well and straighten them out as best you can.  Once you have them all loosened, go along the outside of the shell/chamber top and lightly pull on the twist ties and they should easily come out of the shell and you can pull them through the chamber. 

This takes the clear shell off the chamber itself.  The next step is to remove Vader.  On the bottom of the chamber, there is a twist-tie in the very center (note: the two twist ties that hold the chamber onto the cardboard base should still be visible; do not remove these; again, you will need them later).  Untie the center twist tie and straighten it out as best you can.  Turn the chamber right side up again, and carefully pull the twist tie (and Vader if it's easier for you that way) and remove them from the chair.  Vader has a small clear plastic piece that holds him on the chair, but you can discard that.

Now, you should be looking at just the meditation chamber itself with the two twist-ties (making for four ends of twist-tie) on the bottom.  At this point, you reattach the chamber to the cardboard base.  Carefully reinsert the four ends of the two twist ties through their original holes in the cardboard base.  Once the ties are through, you can replace the black plastic guides (the little pieces with all the holes in them that hold the twist ties on the cardboard) and tie them back.  The twist ties are now once again secured to the cardboard base and the chamber.  This will keep the chamber from sliding around once you put the clear shell back on.  Carefully reinsert the tabs on the cardboard base into their respective slots, and there you go.

Okay, now that that is taken care of, you can put Vader back in the chair of the chamber.  There are foot pegs on either side of the chair which (thanks to his great leg articulation) Vader can fit on securely.  As described earlier in this thread, there is a butt imprint on the chair so Vader can stay seated there in addition to the footpegs.  Position Vader however you like him, seated in the chamber, and adjust it if it's off kilter so you can lower the helmet on him without difficulty.

The last thing is, of course, the clear shell, which slides securely back onto the base and the chamber.  Oh, and the little peg that raises/lowers the helmet armature can be rotated 360 degrees, so you won't scuff or mark up the shell when you put it back on.  Personally, I keep the accessories in their original baggie and store them inside the "hollow square" inside the cardboard base, but you can keep them out if you like. 

Now, after about 10 minutes of careful work, you can have all the fun of the 500th Vader loose, while maintaining the cool packaging that makes him look so special.  :)

Hope this helps you and everyone else out!

Offline T16skyhopp

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 2, 2005, 11:12 PM »
thanks a bunch! ^_^

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2005, 01:27 AM »
I  finally got one yesterday and will probably leave him in the package. I'd like to see him   without the top piece but we'll see. Got him at TRU for $16.99
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I don't know if a lot of people are still looking, but I did notice that Amazon has the 500th Vader in stock, $16.99 (plus shipping).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 02:41 PM by mosnab »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2005, 11:23 PM »
saw 3 at wallyworld for $14.99  >:( :'(
I probable should ask tru to price match or refund but i know I won't bother with it
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 9, 2006, 12:07 AM »
He's big, He's bad, he's been re-released more times that I can count and at my Super Target today, yes today, The commemorative 500th Vader sits in the new reset for $15. So if you missed it the first time, and didnt get it in the numerous repacks check your local stores for the original.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #191 on: July 9, 2006, 02:54 AM »
Wow I haven't seen one at Target in ages.  I wonder if that means he's reshipping for the reset?  That's nutty.

Considering how manyb asic Vaders sit and fester at retail I question the 500th making a reappearance.  It's a nice display piece but really who doesn't have one at this point that needs it?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2006, 07:57 PM »
I saw one a couple weeks ago for about $9. Don't remember which store.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I also saw the dreaded "Pyramid of 500th Vaders" return at Target. This is really crazy since this particular Target is waist deep in both Hoth wave and Tatooine wave Vaders. Looks like they're selling 3 variants of the same Vader now.

Also, the price was $14.99... never going to sell at that price... just like last year.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2006, 11:14 PM »
I have to admit that the Vader presence at my local Targets is also very frustating.  Right now they have several Hoth and Bespin Vaders.  At least they do not have any 500th Vaders.  What takes the cake is that I have yet to buy and open this bad boy in any of his incarnations. ::)
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.