Author Topic: Vintage disaster  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Vintage disaster
« on: February 7, 2003, 10:26 AM »
I shared this with another board and will share here as well. They say talking about it makes it better but I am still in shock and a little pissed.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever had that sickening feeling that you know something is bad but you really don't want to know how bad?
The wife gives me a call at work to tell me she had a problem at the house. Ok then she tells me that she left my collection room door open and the puppy got in. The real bad thing is that I am in the process of building floor to ceiling shelves, so the room is ripped apart. Things are stacked on the floor and so forth. Well that damm dog chewed up some of my misb items carded stuff chewed some loose 12. Some was waiting to be shipped so I have that to deal with.
This is getting to be the most expensive dog I have ever owned. Anyone want a dog? complete with vintage crap.

I swear I love that woman but sometimes I think she hates my collection. I know she didn't do it on purpose but I had to do my best to stay calm.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re:Vintage disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Wowza that sucks...while packing to move my wife let our 11 month old son "play" with some of my carded figs...after I saw what had happened I realized I have a bunch more custom fodder now :)

So are the people you are trading with PO'ed???

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Well the guy involved didn't respond back yet, but he has not paid for the items either. He was going to pay at the end of Feb so, it is more of a let down for him. I hope he understands.

What really gets me is that I have been building a landspeeder collection up and I just received a mib one a few days ago. well the box is now shot.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2003, 10:40 AM »
I replied to the other board. Man that sucks. Pet's will be pet's.
Women will be, is she Blonde? J/K.
I would be devastated when I got home but the damage is done.
Just play it cool. There is nothing you can do now.
KMP on the fig's. There may be a hope that the 2 I am looking at will be safe.  :)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2003, 11:05 AM »
Dale you are in luck. Those were still hanging on the wall. I am picking up some poloroid film this weekend to get thge pics for you.

ANd yes she is Blonde

I know it is to late. It just sucks. I am not going to go postal. I am left with that sinking feeling in my stomache

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2003, 11:22 AM »

ANd yes she is Blonde

Sorry, that made me laugh. Glad there safe. Hope the other stuff isn't too bad. The loose stuff may be a right off. I'm sure the other people will understand what happened.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: When good blonde wives go bad...
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2003, 01:52 PM »
My condolences to you and your Vintage collection Sarge.  That really sucks, and is the nightmare that most of us collectors always pray we are lucky enough to avoid.  BTW, my wife is blonde to, and let me tell ya', she does some rather mindlessly aggravating stuff sometimes too!

Best of luck with the clean up and rebuilding process.  Just tell your wife that you're not taking her out to dinner for the rest of the year to compensate for her actions.  That should save you up some cash to replace some of your damaged loot!

But keep in mind that it's not your dog's fault.  He's just being a dog and obviously can't be expected to know the difference between chewing a C-9 12 back versus say a Saga Jar Jar, right?  Unless he's highly trained that is...  Just like when a Great White munches a poor surfer boy - he's just being a shark and it's what they do (eat stuff in the ocean)...

Sorry again, and good luck with things...

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Well if one good thing came out of this it is this. She knows it was her fault and not the dogs. She left the door open and wasn't watching the pup. So now she can hardly say to much when I buy new stuff to replace it.

Looks like it will be a star wars Valentines day.

You know of all the crap I had laying in the room she(dog) went for the older stuff first. Must be something with the old cardboard smell.

Now the dog really has a Chew(bacca) toy ;)

Offline T K - 114

• Youngling
  • " I can't see a thing in this helmet "
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2003, 12:51 PM »
 Been there ( well, almost )  I too have a personal Sw museum. ( one room of the house devoted to SW ) Anyway, my wife and i have 2 dauchunds. they come into the SW room i am here on the comp. and are veeery good. don't mess with ANYTHING. One morning before work., one got into my room an as i left for work i closed the SW room door ( not knowing he was in there ) and so my wife calls me at work at 4 pm to tell me that i shut sydney up all day in the room . I thought " oh no " but when i got home to see what damage had been done...There wasn't any. All he did was pull up some of the carpet at the door. He was pissed ! No SW items were hurt during the pup imprisonment !!

T K - 114
Collecting SW since 1977 and been broke ever since.....

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 04:14 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about your Star Wars collection there Reconsgt.  It makes me sick to my stomach to hear about all those deaths (the carded figs).  What a tragic way to go.

I have one room in our house devoted to Star Wars items and we have 4 cats.  If I'm not in my office for one minute my door is shut.  It's going to be tough when we finally start having kids, because I'll have to get a lock for the door.   :)

dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2003, 03:00 PM »
Reconsgt,

Any up date on the condition of your stuff.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2003, 09:23 AM »
Well I have picked up another landspeeder MIB to replace the one chewed. I am still building in that room but have since put all the items out of the dogs reach. The total damage could have been worse.The guy who was going to buy one goup was really understanding. He has pets and could relate. Atleast he didn't pay ahead of time so that made it easier. The total damage was a few hunderd buck worth but the wife felt bad so I was able to get a few new things.  I do have a few more C10 loose figs in the collection now ;)

I still think that the vintage must be differnt than new as she left the new stuff alone for the most part. Either that or they were stored someplace at one time and absorbed some sents she liked. But all in all it OK, sometimes I guess you need a little shake up to get you going again.

The dog is doing just fine.she had a good dose of vintage fiber but didn't get sick on it.  It was to late to even yell at her by the time I got home after work. She wouldn't have known what I was yelling at anyway.  I did switch out the door nob for a locking one though so now I just lock it up.