Author Topic: San Diego Comic Con 2004  (Read 35602 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 San Diego Comic Con
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Matt and Jared...thanks so much for everything you did for everyone, you guys are absolutely the best in the land for doing all of that grazy stuff.  And I want to thank you in advance for the poster :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2004, 04:35 PM »
Three Cheers for Jared and Matt!

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Indeed.  A ton of work, great coverage and super effort in picking up stuff for the folks here.  Congratulations on a superb reporting and photo job (still haven't caught up) and for the assist with the merch.  We are all quite fortunate to have someone like youse guys around here.  

cheers.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2004, 04:47 PM »
I'm sooo beat.  Got caught in the storms in Atlanta Sun eve. and didn;t get home until 3:30AM.

What a freaking blast!  As far as exclusives, I lucked out BIG time!  I scored a ST Luke bust on Thurs. with one ticket-no kidding!  While in line a guy had an extra bust-up tix. so I got one of those too(not a Glow I D one)...

An absolute blast have about 4hrs. of footage from the con I'll have on my widescreen Sat as well.

Bob -
Sorry I never got a chance to hook up with you!  I was hoping to, but jotted your cell phone number down on a piece of paper that I didn't have with me the last day or two, and wasn't able to give you a buzz.   :-\  I think I saw you at the Hasbro Q & A though...  Did you get up and ask them a question at one point?  I heard a "from Pittsburg" and I think "Bob".  White T-shirt and a hat, if I recall...  Was that you?

I'm sure we'll have better luck at C3 though!   ;)

Missed Sharon too.  Called her a couple times, but never got through to her or heard back from her.  Sharon, you out there?  I assume you hit the show right?  You have fun?  Meet some other folks?

I missed Robert and Ook as well, though I saw Ook a couple times, at the Hasbro Q & A (back wall) and at the GG booth on Preview night (I was shouting at you from across their tables Ook, and you heard me, but didn't recognize me and know where it was coming from!)   :P

I did get a chance to meet Tammy (RJP) though, so that was cool.  Sorry I said "kickin' some ass on the exclusives" in front of your kids though.  Brainfart.   :-[

Also met and chatted with JoshEEE, Mark Hurray (RS Staff), Philip Wise, "Sir Steve" Comenzo, Gus Lopez, Duncan Jenkins, Ray Park (walking down the street), Steve Sansweet, and several others I'm forgetting now.  Nice to put a few more faces to the forum names.  Good times!  8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 04:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2004, 05:07 PM »
As far as all the requests for the exclusive loot, I've updated the list on page 2 with what I'm pretty sure are the final tallies for everyone.  I came up one VOTC poster short (they sold out of them Saturday), so I'm gonna have to figure out who was the last person to request one, and unfortunately not hook them up.  Real sorry!   :'(  I am still trying to track an extra down though, from some of the local fellas who went.  I'll keep ya' posted if I'm able to!

I'll e-mail everyone a list of the stuff, and the total costs with shipping once the loot's gone out.  I think I have most of your shipping addresses already, but if you've moved, or think I don't have it, shoot it on over.  And LMK your shipping preferences too (Priority, cheaper snail mail, Delivery Confirmation, Insurance, etc.)

The good news is that I didn't have to pay for any extra badges for the stuff.  I was able to get a lot of the exclusives on mine, and talked a number of buddies into cruising through the lines with me to snag me/us even more extras.  So NO added cost for any other badges!  Exact retail for everything...   8)

For those who asked for the VOTC posters, please LMK if you want me to pick up a cheap poster roll (on your dime) to ship them in - especially if I'm sending you other stuff in a regular box that I might be able to fit it into.  Again, some of them got a little ruffled on the top and bottom edges unfortunately, 'cause my dumb ass didn't come prepared with a poster roll to keep them all safe in!   ::)  Had to carry them around in bags full of other stuff all day...

Sorry again to those who I couldn't help out with a few of those things.  Total whiff on the GG Luke busts, as expected.  Would've been fine, if the Comic Con people didn't force GG into doing a raffle ticket system.   >:(  Scored plenty of the Bust-Ups in the GG raffles though, oddly enough.  I won't open those up though, so the 4 of you who asked for them (and me) all have an equal chance at getting the rare "Glow in the dark" versions.

It's gonna take me a few days to sort through and package everything, so I'll talk to you all soon!

- M
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 07:22 PM by JediMAC »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2004, 06:18 PM »
Matt, just wanted to thank you one more time for all your help in getting me (and everyone else) all that loot.  I would have loved to been there (believe me, my husband is paying big time for his error) but I'll have to wait until C3 to meet up with everyone.
Beth

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2004, 10:34 PM »
Scored plenty of the Bust-Ups in the GG raffles though, oddly enough.  I won't open those up though, so the 4 of you who asked for them (and me) all have an equal chance at getting the rare "Glow in the dark" versions.

i don't know who else you bought them for, but i suggest you open them all up and see if there is a glow in the dark version. and then, keep that one for yourself, since you went there and picked them all up. we wouldn't be getting them period if it wasn't for you. i have no problems with that... anyone?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Good suggestion Dave.  Not like I'm keeping mine sealed anyway.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Hi Matt!

So sorry I missed you guys!! :(  Matt, you called my home in Orlando. Was having cell phone trouble, so really was out of touch. Totally bummed, I really wanted to meet you guys.

My trip was a bit rough, and to top things off, Mike Sullenger(GalacticHunter) left me stranded with my luggage at the Con on Sunday. >:( Had major hotel problems.

Thankfully, was able to score  the Luke GG bust for my self, and one of each bust up. If you  carefully cut the tape on the box, the black bags have holes punched in them, so you can see which variant you have.

I owe you guys a beer at C3!! So sorry we couldnt have gotten together. My bad.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2004, 01:30 AM »
Scored plenty of the Bust-Ups in the GG raffles though, oddly enough.  I won't open those up though, so the 4 of you who asked for them (and me) all have an equal chance at getting the rare "Glow in the dark" versions.

i don't know who else you bought them for, but i suggest you open them all up and see if there is a glow in the dark version. and then, keep that one for yourself, since you went there and picked them all up. we wouldn't be getting them period if it wasn't for you. i have no problems with that... anyone?

Ummm...  I want mine sealed.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Definitely a big thanks to Matt, Jared, and everyone else that was out there "getting the dirt" on Hasbro and other companies' plans for their Star Wars lines.  And a BIG thank you for running around picking up all of that stuff for all of us here, it was so incredibly helpful of you.  I hope you had enough time to actually enjoy the convention as well, when you weren't lugging bags of JD forum member swag around :-*.  Anyways, thanks again for the helpfulness, as well as for the great coverage here at JD.  You guys are pillars of the community here, thanks much!

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2004, 12:20 PM »
I stocked up on extra promo goodies as well, and will have some stuff to share. It will take days to sort thru, but will catch up with JediMac to see who's missing what on his list.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2004, 01:30 PM »
I stocked up on extra promo goodies as well, and will have some stuff to share. It will take days to sort thru, but will catch up with JediMac to see who's missing what on his list.

Thanks Sharon!  That'd be very cool of you to do...  I think it looks like I came up just one VOTC poster short on all my requests for everyone (along with the GG Luke busts, of course).  So drop me a line, and maybe I could hopefully steer one of your extra VOTC posters in a worthy JD recipient's direction (if you have any extra posters, that is...)   8)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I'm sooo beat.  Got caught in the storms in Atlanta Sun eve. and didn;t get home until 3:30AM.

What a freaking blast!  As far as exclusives, I lucked out BIG time!  I scored a ST Luke bust on Thurs. with one ticket-no kidding!  While in line a guy had an extra bust-up tix. so I got one of those too(not a Glow I D one)...

An absolute blast have about 4hrs. of footage from the con I'll have on my widescreen Sat as well.

Bob -
Sorry I never got a chance to hook up with you!  I was hoping to, but jotted your cell phone number down on a piece of paper that I didn't have with me the last day or two, and wasn't able to give you a buzz.   :-\  I think I saw you at the Hasbro Q & A though...  Did you get up and ask them a question at one point?  I heard a "from Pittsburg" and I think "Bob".  White T-shirt and a hat, if I recall...  Was that you?

I'm sure we'll have better luck at C3 though!   ;)

Missed Sharon too.  Called her a couple times, but never got through to her or heard back from her.  Sharon, you out there?  I assume you hit the show right?  You have fun?  Meet some other folks?

I missed Robert and Ook as well, though I saw Ook a couple times, at the Hasbro Q & A (back wall) and at the GG booth on Preview night (I was shouting at you from across their tables Ook, and you heard me, but didn't recognize me and know where it was coming from!)   :P

I did get a chance to meet Tammy (RJP) though, so that was cool.  Sorry I said "kickin' some ass on the exclusives" in front of your kids though.  Brainfart.   :-[

Also met and chatted with JoshEEE, Mark Hurray (RS Staff), Philip Wise, "Sir Steve" Comenzo, Gus Lopez, Duncan Jenkins, Ray Park (walking down the street), Steve Sansweet, and several others I'm forgetting now.  Nice to put a few more faces to the forum names.  Good times!  8)

Yep, that would be me!
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2004, 08:24 PM »
Matt and Jared, I too want to personally say thanks for all the effort you both put in.  

Jared was unbelievable with coverage, and persnally I think we "shattered the competition".  ;)  Well, I think we were a solid showing at the very least.  GH.com and Scum both had nice Q&A efforts and coverage too, so I was pleased with all the news, if not a little overwhelmed.

Matt's Q&A, take no prisoners attitude, was phenominal.  Great work Matt, and thanks for asking questions that I can't help but think you were thinking "Jesse would wanna know this" when you asked them!

Bob, it's good to have you back...  It's good to see you got a good response on your Vs. 2-pack idea too!  I'm ecstatic at the thought of Super ARticulated 2-packs.  Maybe Hasbro's really gonna look into that.

Great work guys, and Matt an extra thanks (and Jared too because I'm sure you made him work at this too) with the exclusives.  I'll just sit idly by while I hear what the outcome is on my requests after the smoke settles, haha.  :)  You guys really did a lot in that regard.

plus thanks for stopping at 21st Cent. Toys' booth, and nabbing me their Modern Figure set they put out.  Finally I'll have at least 2 Afghan soldiers for my grunts to shoot at.

Thanks guys...  A job above and beyond, seriously.  I hope you all had fun out there to boot!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77