Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111418 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2007, 11:17 PM »
$44,232,338 for its opening day.  Not bad.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2007, 01:09 AM »
Saw it tonight.  Absolutely loved every last minute of it...I almost cried when Sirius died...and again when Harry exorcised Voldemort and he saw all of his friends and family...

Wondeful all around, the way they condensed the book in to the film worked on so many many levels that it was truly great.  There were Umbridge scenes in there that were exactly as I visioned them in my head while reading.

OOTP is my least favorite book of the the 6 so far but I think outside of the first movie, this is the best one of the bunch

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2007, 01:42 AM »
Saw it tonight.  Absolutely loved every last minute of it...I almost cried when Sirius died...and again when Harry exorcised Voldemort and he saw all of his friends and family...

Quote from: OCB
Wondeful all around, the way they condensed the book in to the film worked on so many many levels that it was truly great.  There were Umbridge scenes in there that were exactly as I visioned them in my head while reading.

I enjoyed it thoroughly as well.  I have one question for you book readers.  The one thing the movie seemed to lack was some sort of closure between Harry and his girlfriend at the end.  He found out she was compelled to betray them via potion, so I guess we're left to assume they had some sort of reconciliation.  But it's not seen on screen.  Was there anything more in the book about it?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2007, 09:46 AM »

I enjoyed it thoroughly as well.  I have one question for you book readers.  The one thing the movie seemed to lack was some sort of closure between Harry and his girlfriend at the end.  He found out she was compelled to betray them via potion, so I guess we're left to assume they had some sort of reconciliation.  But it's not seen on screen.  Was there anything more in the book about it?

Cho wasn't the snitch in the book, it was a minor character named Marietta. Regardless, that was a glaring loose end.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2007, 10:59 AM »
I saw it last night too, and feel the same as OCB....they took the worst book of the series and managed to make it one of the best of the movies.   All of the Grawp scenes I hated in the book.  Hated them.  Utter wasted of time.  They actually made them engaging and drew a clearer line to the story line. 

Umbridge was fantastic.  Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix was brilliant, and once again Alan Rickman proves to be probably the most perfect casting choice in the history of print to film adaptions.

My only complaints would really just be on behalf of the non-book readers:  The movie needed to explained more about the Black family and more about the prophesy and the hall of mysteries.

Can't wait until this Saturday now when my copy of the Book 7 arrives! 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2007, 06:10 PM »

Cho wasn't the snitch in the book, it was a minor character named Marietta. Regardless, that was a glaring loose end.

On top of that, they never really continued the relationship in the book. It just kinda died after an argument they had.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2007, 09:15 PM »
OOTP is my least favorite book of the the 6 so far but I think outside of the first movie, this is the best one of the bunch

I agree.  OotP is my least favorite, but I liked the movie.  It flowed well, they made some good cuts, and it moved the story along. 

The one problem that I did have was that they left out the hospital bit - I would have liked to see the Longbottoms and Gilderroy and whatnot.  I missed that scene and it took a lot away from the Longbottom characters to just get two lines from Neville about them.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2007, 11:07 PM »

I agree.  OotP is my least favorite, but I liked the movie.  It flowed well, they made some good cuts, and it moved the story along. 

The one problem that I did have was that they left out the hospital bit - I would have liked to see the Longbottoms and Gilderroy and whatnot.  I missed that scene and it took a lot away from the Longbottom characters to just get two lines from Neville about them.  :-\

Especially when in the book, it was revealed That Voldemort marked harry as his equal, but it could have been either neville or harry. It adds alot more depth to the longbottom family, that was kinda big in the 6th book.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #263 on: July 15, 2007, 02:04 AM »
Good points, but there's no way they could make these movies just like the novels; and let's face it, up until POA, these movies were the closest to their book counterparts in history!

I enjoy the books, and I enjoy the movies...I just know that there are going to be differences plotwise.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:56 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38 AM »
I saw it again yesterday and have to admit I liked it better the second time. I would have loved to see the Lockhard scene myself, but as soon as I read the book (my favorate) I know that the meeting was going to get cut. :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #265 on: July 15, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Saw the movie last night and it was my least favorite so far. I thought it was boring and slow moving. I felt like nothing was really going on.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Saw OOTP today. Very good, on par with Goblet.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I've started a thread in which to discuss Deathly Hallows once you are done reading...don't post any reactions, comments or anything else here as I don't want to see something wrecked ala the season ending episode of Lost

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows SPOILERS

If you post spoilers here you're ass is grass :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:20 AM by OCB »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2007, 09:31 AM »
I have to wait until my Wife is done reading TDH to start. Fortunately, she'll probably be done by the end of the day on Saturday.

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I've read the book but i have'nt seen the movie my cousin's friend said it was TERRIBLE ;D
I suck.