Author Topic: What do you do (job, student)?  (Read 28677 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
What do you do (job, student)?
« on: January 13, 2003, 03:02 PM »
Just curious what all you Jedi Defender forum surfers out there do in the real world in terms of your profession...

As for me, I do Music Royalties Auditing.  I work for a firm that specializes in auditing the major record companies (Sony, Universal, Warner Bros., Capitol, EMI, etc.) on behalf of many of your favorite singers, bands, songwriters, and musicians.  Basically, we just scope out the record company's books, find all of the money that they're hiding or have just underpaid to the respective artist, put a report together with our findings, submit it, and get the artist a FAT chunk of change in settlement compensation (as if they're not all rich enough already - but who's counting).

We haven't done anything Star Wars related yet, but we were in negotiations to pick up John Williams as one of our clients last year, and it seemed to be a done deal, but I believe things fell through at the very last minute - likely due to the already huge backlog of work that we had at the time.  Though it hasn't come to fruition yet, from what I've heard, the partners at my firm are still trying to work out a deal with his people.  Now that would be totally sweet if I could audit his stuff!  Talk about some job satisfaction...

So if any of you know someone in the music business, and/or who's had a record hit the Billboard charts and wants to get back some of what is rightfully theirs, give me a shout!

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re:What do you do (job, student)?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 05:51 PM »
...I'm a student. ;D

Speaking of that, I have to start studying for my Midterm Exams. :(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 07:56 PM »
...I'm a student. ;D

Speaking of that, I have to start studying for my Midterm Exams. :(
What kind of student are you BobaShek (what level)?  High School, college, graduate?  If one of the latter two, what's your major and what school do you attend?

Good luck on your midterms!

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 11:28 PM »
I work full-time as a grocery store manager, which is always interesting.  I work the night shift, so I work with all teenagers.  They are all very entertaining.
Then, I take pictures in my spare time.  I do weddings and senior portraits. I like to keep myself busy.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 12:37 AM »
I work as a grip on film sets in Hollywood North (T.O.)

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 04:37 PM »
JediMAC: I'm just a lowly Sophmore in High School as of now. :) I'm in advanced placement classes, so our Midterms and, basically, tests in general are wicked hard.

...Oh, and thank you. :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 07:58 AM »
Senior in High School... Advanced Conceptual Physics is kicking my ass.  :-X

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 10:52 AM »
I just threw away all of my High School Physics notes...aw good times ;)

I am a Chemical Engineer.  I work for some pretty big Chemical Companies as a Consultant..  My company designs Chemical Process systems which go into plants which make intermediaries which are then used to make final products at packaging facilities.  My job entails designing and specifying the components that go into the systems...pumps, reactors, tanks, piping and instrumentation, valves, gauges

If you have seen Robocop where the dude gets eaten by acid...that basically where our stuff goes.  I work with some of the deadliest acids on the planet and so making sure everything is chemically compatible and propely sized and functions right is critical.  I love my job, it is fun and a challenge every day.  There has been a huge slowdown in the Chemical processing community in the US in general the last 4 years so if I continue to do this forever is the real question.

The nice thing is having a ChemE degree means I can work for a ton of different industires...Food, Pharmacuetical, Pulp/Paper, Petroleum, Power Plants etc etc  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 01:41 PM »
JediMAC: I'm just a lowly Sophmore in High School as of now. :)
Nothing lowly about it BobaShek!  Some of us old farts 'round here would give our left n*t to go back in time and spend a few days in the tenth grade again.  Those were some good times back then!  Enjoy it while you can - 'cause the "real world" and all of its mind boggling responsibilities awaits you a few years down the road...

Of course, you could always stretch out your college career for a good 8 or 9 years like I did, and it should make things much funner and easier for you.  Until you meet your wife that is, and she starts asking about your career, finances, etc.  Hmmm, bad advice I'm giving you.  Maybe you should just GET BACK TO YOUR STUDIES, so you can better support that future family of yours!!!   Well, what are you waiting for...???  Chop, chop!   ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 03:44 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 10:38 AM »
I work in product development at a nutracutical company. We come up with the formulations for vitamin and natural health supplements. I have been here for 5 years. The work is interesting.  We are currently one of the top 10 in the US and are sold world wide.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 07:44 PM »
I'm a college student and work at a grocery store.  
I haven't decided on a major yet, not sure what I want to pick but I need to soon (been there to long 5 years :o ).  
As my job I used to be a courtesy clerk bagging your groceries, getting carts, and being the goppher of the store (do this do that).  In November I started doing Trash which basically means I picvk up after nightcrew (boxes and stuff they leave on the floors at 4 am) and just last week I became one the liqour clerk and doing misc. things before our store opens.  The only thing that sucks is the hours 12am, 1 am, 2 am, and 4 am each morning almost.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 08:50 AM »
Well I do computers and photography. I've worked the past 5 years in the computer dept/helpdesk for the largest jeans maker (hint*NOT levis) but we're gettingl ayed off in May so they can give our jobs to an Indian (as in India) computer company "to save money".
But I do all kinds of computer hardware/software installs, upgrades, fixes etc.
And I am a photographer, I do weddings, portrait shots, if you need a picture -  I have the camera!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 05:15 PM »
Great topic and really nice to know everyone here a little better.

As for me, I work as a producer at one of the larger videogame publishers - not EA big, but we produce and publish lots of titles that are recognizable, and some actually don't suck.

My day consists of interfacing with programmers, artists, and designers on the day-to-day tasks of building games for Xbox, PS2, and Gameboy Advance. It's partly creative, with input on design, story, and art direction, but also includes plenty of tracking of assets from film companies, contracts, budgets, and internal politics. Right now I'm working on a kid's game based on a new Mike Meyers movie and a street racing title with a company in Japan, also based on a movie.

The street racing title is going to have lots of music from known recording artists in it. Maybe one day JediMAC and I will have issues, and I can say:

"Obviously, we can not settle this with our knowledge of contracts, but with our skills... with a LIGHTSABER."  
 :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 08:59 PM »
The street racing title is going to have lots of music from known recording artists in it. Maybe one day JediMAC and I will have issues, and I can say:

"Obviously, we can not settle this with our knowledge of contracts, but with our skills... with a LIGHTSABER."  :)
Just watch it there with those music royalties bub!  We've been known to go after some of those video game titles in our artist audits before...

Though I must admit that my company has never settled any music royalty discrepancies through the use of a lightsaber though.  Interesting idea...  I'll have to run it by the partners here, as it may just speed up a few of our settlement processes!   ;)

I can tell you that the Jedi mind trick has unfortunately never worked on any record company folks before though...  :(

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: March 4, 2003, 10:03 PM »
Where to begin here.  I recently terminated my employment with Global Computer Supplies (http://www.globalcomputer.com), and was an Account Executive (basically a sales rep).  So, I'm currently unemployed and searching for a job.  I worked at Global Computer for 2 years.  Ever since 9/11 the spending for companies has drastically decreased, which also killed my commissions.  Wasn't making a whole lot of money there since then.

Before that I was a Network Administrator for Citibank in Chicago, and prior to that was a Lotus Notes Certified Professional for McDonalds' headquarters in the Chicago burbs.  Also did helpdesk/phone support there too.

But for now, I'm trying to find a good job doing just about anything.  Graduated with a B.A. in Journalims (TV background), but have failed trying to find a job in that field.  Would love to get back into that though (been about 7 years since I graduated from college).

Anyone hiring in the Chicagoland area???  LOL!   :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003, 10:56 PM by dustrho »
dustrho