Author Topic: OTC DVD Sets  (Read 18440 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
OTC DVD Sets
« on: May 30, 2004, 11:57 PM »
Talk about Lame

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: OTC DVD Sets
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 12:18 AM »
There's no end!  What the hell???

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 01:26 AM »
What did they do? Over produce those figs back in the day?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 01:50 AM »
My question is, is there a DVD included with each set?  That's what would seem to make the most sense here, and be a clever marketing gimmick by Hasbro to get the kids into the figures even further, when they buy the DVDs...

Or is this just a set of figures, in which case, what's with the "Commemorative Trilogy DVD Collection" moniker?  Well $h!t.  Looks like one more item I'll "have to" pick up.  Just one sealed set should suffice, since there don't appear to be any changes happening with the figures themselves.   :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 07:38 AM »
Glad I'm not a completist.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 10:21 AM »
Aside from the very idea of these being done in the first place, which I find completely and utterly asinine, the main thing that bugs me about this is the figure selection.  I mean, once again, we're getting the same Obi-Wan, the same Luke, and the same Stormtrooper we're getting on regular cards.  This is the third different assortment that the Obi-Wan has been part of this year so far (Target Cup, OTC regular carded, OTC three pack).  

And I don't know if anyone else has noticed it or not, but the R2 in the ANH set is apparently the same one that came out in the very first wave of POTF2 back in 1995.  

I've gotten to the point where I've stopped asking myself "What are they thinking?"  I've simply realized that Hasbro doesn't think.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Why even HAVE an OTC line of figures if they were planning on pulling this crap too

Sure 4 of them aren't in the OTC, but the case could be made that they should have been

I agree Doc, they don't think...OR they are losing so much money on this line that new sculpts and new figs can't be made

Notice we haven't seen a FC #6... :'(

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Suuuuuuck.

I'm glad TRU's 4-packs have broken me of my completism habit.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 02:56 PM »
 >:( F'ers. I'm getting really sick of this. How'd we go from 2004 looking so good through the Bespin wave to Hasbro brining us to our knees with this crap?

Maybe these are meant for non-toy outlets. Something that Suncoast, Best Buy, etc can put on the counter or give away with purchase of the DVD set.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Talk about Lame

Agreed.

>:(

Stop the Madness!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Folks, I know it blows for all of us.  Obviously the whole aim is to get new collectors, kids, even old collectors or anyone into this stuff anyway possible with the cheapest and easiest way - repackaging.  

Don't even think we are getting any new stuff.  It ain't happening until maybe late this year or early next year.  Save your coins for Ep3, the convention, and maybe newer OT stuff for 2005.  Kiss 2004 goodbye and accept it.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Folks, I know it blows for all of us.  Obviously the whole aim is to get new collectors, kids, even old collectors or anyone into this stuff anyway possible with the cheapest and easiest way - repackaging.  

Don't even think we are getting any new stuff.  It ain't happening until maybe late this year or early next year.  Save your coins for Ep3, the convention, and maybe newer OT stuff for 2005.  Kiss 2004 goodbye and accept it.  

Yep, this seems to me to be a last ditch effort to breathe life back into the line.  Sure, collectors want other stuff/new stuff.  But maybe this will help us in the long run by revitalizing the line :-\  Yeah I know, stupid and naive.  

I haven't figured out yet if these are individual movie releases with figs, or do you have to buy three sets of the movies to get all the figures?  Not that I care, I'll obviously buy the ROTJ set if I have to buy one, but I am curious how much JediMac has to lay out for his disorder?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Revenge

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 05:07 PM »
I like the packaging but I dislike the figure selection. :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Thinking about this again, and I know the answer is "because they're Hasbro" but I'll ask the question anyway.

Hasbro has to know that things like this piss collectors off. They have to know the history of their own industry. Pushing too many exclusives kills lines... ask Playmates. They must realize that the moment these roll of a line in China, or wherever, samples end up on eBay. Collectors see things like this, don't have enough information, and speculate themselves (ourselves) into anger. So:

Why, oh why, do they not post information on the official Hasbro site on things like this before images leak?

Do they not have 1 PR person?

Edit: High time I updated the picture for this occasion:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 08:56 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2004, 12:41 AM »
I guess the thing that ultimately bugs the hell out of me is that with just some simple painting they could do all new figures that people would lap up like crazy

Paint Wicket black with white highlights
Use the Stormtrooper bodies and stick new heads on for Luke and Han
Repaint R2 and do one of the undone R2 units
Repaint 3PO and call him U-3PO
Repaint IG-8 white for the Bespin IG droid
Do Vader in Holo Form