Author Topic: VOTC "swap" irony  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
VOTC "swap" irony
« on: October 4, 2004, 06:58 PM »
I went to a Target today and saw a VOTC Threepio on the shelf. I'd already passed on him once, but I always look, especially with the sale going on. It actually didn't look too bad, and I thought about buying it after all, but then it hit me...

...somebody had swapped the VOTC Threepio with an OTC Threepio in the bubble! I looked closer and could clearly see where the bottom of the bubble had been sliced thru to pull off the swap. The "OTC" cardboard insert concealed it on a casual glance.

I thought about taking it up to the desk to alert them to the scam they had fallen victim to, but in the end I didn't. Whoever winds up buying it will be getting a superior figure anyway.

(Unless they're a carded collector, but then they can always sell it off on eBay as a "rare error" figure for tons of dough.)

Anyone else seen these swaps around?

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC "swap" irony
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2004, 07:41 PM »
I saw a VOTC Vader swap at a TRU. I cannot remember if it was in So. Cal. or in Dallas off of 183 and Belt Line. I think it was a HOF Vader placed into the VOTC tray. It wasn't even that impressive of a job. There was a tear in the card paper and the interior bubble was creased.

I did tell a TRU employee who was passing by, but he showed little concern and I doubt anything was done about it.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2004, 08:05 PM »
I saw a VOTC Vader swap at a TRU. I cannot remember if it was in So. Cal. or...

Hey!  When were you in SoCal?!   >:(

As for the swaps, yep, I've seen one too.  On Lando, at a Target just last week.  Rather surprised I haven't seen more than just that one so far...   ::)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2004, 08:56 PM »
Sorry, I meant that other So. Cal... San Diego. We went down in late August for about a *cough* week *cough* and goofed around on the beach. No Disney, no Sea World, no zoo... Just the four of us on the beach (and four trips to Ikea, and one to the Apple Store). I suggested driving up to LA to Kris and it didn't go over well based on our 2 and 4 year car passengers. If I'd told her it was to hook up with my Star Wars buddies, I'd be single now.

Next time Matt!
« Last Edit: October 4, 2004, 09:00 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2004, 08:55 AM »
That is some funny stuff Bobb and so true, waste of plastic that C-3PO is >:(

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2004, 09:41 AM »
When I saw VOTC R2 at Target, I thought someone had swapped out the VOTC version for a POTF2 version.  Alas, I realized it was, in fact, the VOTC version, but that R2 was just plain crappy.
Binders full of astromechs...