Author Topic: Chores... What do you do?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Chores... What do you do?
« on: June 1, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Ever since we were kids (which several of you still are ;)), we've always hated doing our chores...  Most of us probably still do.  I've noticed myself becoming much more lax with chores over the last several years.  I'm getting lazy in my old age, I think...  Here's some of the stuff I still manage to do, if but only occasionally:

• Pay the bills - all of 'em, every month

• Take out the trash - all of it, from every room

• Laundry - I've done all my own clothes washing since I was about 10

• Wash the cars - every several weeks, whereas I used to do it every week

• Water the plants - once a month, rest has been handed over to the Mrs. since we moved

• Load/unload dishwasher - maybe one out of every 3 or 4 times

• Clean the house - maybe once a month I'll help out with the vacuuming and dusting, but not nearly as much as the old days when I was a total clean freak

• Grocery shopping - virtually never now; used to do it at least once a month

• Cooking (if that's a "chore") - Never.  Used to maybe once a week.

• No yard work to do anymore, since our HOA provides gardeners  8)
I think that's most of it.  The pattern I'm noticing is that I'm getting lazier and lazier as the years go by, and passing off more and more of my prior duties to Patty (unfortunately for her).  Not very fair/nice of me, since she works nearly as many hours a week at her jobs as I do at mine.  Lazy husband here needs to get his ass in gear and start pitching in a little more, methinks.   :-\

So, what all do you folks do, if anything?  Getting worse/lazier in your old age too?
« Last Edit: June 1, 2004, 06:09 PM by KG's fishing buddy »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Chores... What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Lets see...

Wax the floors
Yesterday I greased all the window tracks and hung new shelves in the pantry and closet...
Take out the dogs about 3 times a day
Feed the dogs 2-3 times per day (3 for the little one)
Dogs to park
Clean up after Dogs
Clean up after myself
Clean up after girlfriend
Laundry
Pay bills
Dishes
Take out trash
Sweep
Make the bed

You name it - I do it - except for yard work, because I live in a loft condiminium.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2004, 06:55 PM »
That'll all change Rob!  You're still a youthful 20-something.  You just wait 'til you hit your 30's...   ;)

Hell, I bet Morgbug and DSJ don't even lift a finger anymore, unless it's to get a beer or change the TV channel...   :-X

Lets see...

Clean up after Dogs
Clean up after myself

Hopefully you and your girl are more potty trained than the canines...   :P
« Last Edit: June 1, 2004, 06:58 PM by KG's fishing buddy »

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2004, 05:16 AM »
Chores r 4 suckers.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2004, 12:43 PM »
That'll all change Rob!  You're still a youthful 20-something.  You just wait 'til you hit your 30's...   ;)

Hell, I bet Morgbug and DSJ don't even lift a finger anymore, unless it's to get a beer or change the TV channel...   :-X

Lets see...

Clean up after Dogs
Clean up after myself

Hopefully you and your girl are more potty trained than the canines...   :P

Yeah, when I said clean up after the dogs, I meant the dog toys they insist on leaving all over the house, and the occaisional item they chew to shreds.   :-X :)

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2004, 02:37 PM »
A ton, living alone I do most of the necessary styff like the dishes and vacuuming and laundry.  I also have to snowblow my driveway and mow the yard.  Plus do all of the yardwork in the spring and fall

Don't make the bed too often or pick up around the place, unless a lady is coming over ;D
Bang Bang

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2004, 06:40 PM »
what chores do i do? how about all of 'em? that's when living alone really sucks  ::)

• Pay the bills - all of 'em, every month - yep

• Take out the trash - all of it, from every room - yep

• Laundry - I've done all my own clothes washing since I was about 15

• Wash the car - every several weeks, whereas I used to do it every week - ditto

• Clean the house - every weekend, or whenever i have a day off.  i used to be a clean freak too but living with my ex-wife cured me of that  ::)

• Grocery shopping - every week, otherwise i ain't eatin'

• Cooking (if that's a "chore") - whenever i want to eat. i don't really eat as much takeout food as i used to. of course, sometimes "cooking" to me is just opening a box and putting it in the microwave  ;D

and just add on about any other minor thing you want to. if it needs to get done around the house, i'm doing it... or it ain't getting done.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Well, here's my list...

-Wash/Wax/Detail car(s)...  My 2, my mother/fathers car, & my father's truck.  Sometimes my girl's truck too, but it's garage kept and she's not going to hang onto it for long before getting something new so usually it's just a wash here and there.

-Oil Changes, help (at least) with brakes, etc...  Routine maintenance.

-Yardwork (just a catch all for my life around here)

-Work out...  I consider this a chore.  I don't get the "pleasure" others do from working out.

General stuff like that...  There's a creek across the road from my place I've been having a bitch of a time with this year keeping it from eroding away at a walking bridge I've got built there...  I guess that is yardwork, but it's turned into a routine chore with the wet weather we've had.  No flooding though so I can't gripe (not that we ever have flooding here...  knock on wood).

Oh yeah, and looking for Star Wars figures, cuz Hasbro and retailers have made that one a chore.  Can't even order cases from what I read about NewForce cancelling orders...  Thanks Hasbro!   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 4, 2004, 11:47 PM »
My Chores:

Really easy for me:
Empty the trash
Fold Clothes
Set the table
Clear the table
Clean my own room  ;D

Only bad thing: no allowance
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Membraneman

• Jedi Initiate
  • Me, Me, Me !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Nothing, I'm a lazy sonofa*****...........no actually, I do allot of everything you guys posted. The one thing I can't do though is cleanup after the dog. You wanna see a guy gag, it's me... :P
I FIND, YOU FIND, WE TRADE

Bob Newton
Membraneman
BHC Administrator
bob@galactichunter.com

Offline Dark_Kanos

• Youngling
  • Jawa Ben
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 09:42 AM »
:) I do cat boxes and once in a while walk my cute black lab!  8)
Jawa Ben

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 10:50 AM »
Well since I bought my house, I've done:

*Removed old cabinets, sink and countertop
*Removed old closet, infilled with new gypsum to make the kitchen larger
*Removed two walls of the kitchen down to the studs, insulated, re-sheetrocked, etc.
*Installed new kitchen cabinets and countertops
*Minor plumbing work, including relocating the water lines for the washer and installing a correct washer discharge (after a little flooding incident)
*Painting
*Hung new doors with all new hardware
*Minor electrical work (replacing outlets and switches, etc.)

Soon to come:
*New roof
*New shutters
*Removal of paneling in the basement and replace with white instead of the existing 70's faux wood.
*New flooring in the basement
*Building storage shelves for all the new tools I've bought
*Build a bar

It's been a hectic month and a half, but slowly but surely the house is coming together.  But we'll probably never be "finished"
Common sense isn't so common

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 11:51 AM »
Yardwork, painting, laundry, dishes, wiring, garbage, ironing, bathing the little one... typical daily/weekly home owner stuph. Fortunately I have a wife who's a stay-at-home-mom who does most of the chores while I'm at work. (Posting this.)

We've got a lot of renovating to do to our new home and have barely scratched the surface. Right now the priority is the third floor to prepare for BabyPL #3. The major construction chores go to people far more qualified than I. (Hey, she's got a toolbox for a reason.)
Post sober.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 01:59 PM »
My main, permanent chore is the dishes. My girlfriend does all the cleaning (she hates doing the dishes so much that she'd rather clean everything else). I do the painting, electric, carpentry, moving stuff, etc. We each put our own clothes away, since we both have our own way of storing them.

And I walk the dog at night.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Weird, KG's fishing buddy took out the inflammatory remarks directed at me.  Wonder why?  

Sorry, chores are about all I do.  My wife and I tend to split things pretty evenly for the most part.  I had hoped that the kid would eventually reach an age where she could help out, but I see indications from this board that she is as likely to turn into a lazy, spoiled slug :P

Predominantly, I do the following:
-dishes
-cooking on weekends (would cook all the time, as men should do, but I get home from work too late)
-laundry
-clean bathrooms - including the litter box
-clean and maintain the cement pond out back
-wash cars
-tend the garden
-take out the garbage and recyclables
-pay the bills

Wifey does the rest.  Kid does chores, but token things to help out (hey, she's 4)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.