Author Topic: Who's getting bored?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Who's getting bored?
« on: June 3, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Im talking with the whole Star Wars line in general.  I certainly am.  With all of these repacks heading our way, my first thought was a ton of negativity toward Hasbro.  But you know what?  Im running out of space and the influx of these rehashes is going to save me a ton of dough this year.  I still like the line, and the few new figures that are being released, but I never thought the day would come when I look forward to the line dying.  Let them keep pumping out the rehashes for the new collector and throw in an occasional new fig for the die hards.  Anyone else getting bored quick?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Who's getting bored?
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2004, 11:43 AM »
 Im running out of space and the influx of these rehashes is going to save me a ton of dough this year.  

Nutshell, right there.  

Bored?  No, not really.  I just need to chase vintage stuff for now to keep the interest.  Sure is fun being sniped while sniping yourself.  

I honestly believe this has everything to do with rekindling the line.  A last ditch effort if you will to drag in new collectors.  DVDs finally released and the "last" of the movies in theaters next year, they want to go out with a bang.  

Hey, I hope Hasbro succeeds and a whole new crop of completeists joins the fray.  I've got enough carded POTF2 stuff to fill the needs of two or three of them :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2004, 12:13 PM »
I'm not really bored with collecting and since i don't have anyof the figures being shown, it's just a matter of not having extra money. I do like the dvd package style mulitpacks, they look cool enough to display.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2004, 12:15 PM »
Sorta...the one thing that concerns me with Hasbro's Head Up their Assitis is that they better be damned sure to end this repack madness ASAP...otherwise they will lose more and more collectors to boredom

I'm psyched over the VOTC and Dagobah and Bespin Wave

Can't wait to see what EpIII brings

Otherwise, I'm just crossing my fingers until Fall of 2004 :-\

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2004, 12:18 PM »
they better be damned sure to end this repack madness ASAP...otherwise they will lose more and more collectors to boredom

:-X

Repack/rehash.   It will be the death of me!   :-\

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2004, 12:55 PM »
Not much boredom here.  I collect other SW items so when the figure hunt seems to come to a lull, something else always seems to be available.
Beth

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I am! OK so maybe bored is the wrong word, it's more like I'm growing out if it than anything else I guess.

Over the last year or so I've been getting back into my true love (hobby) of model railroading, but I digress. I WAS very excited about the OTC stuff and it's fancy new packaging, even with repacks galore, but recently have been SERIOUSLY considering skipping everything, every last bit of it, until the debut of E3 figures and focusing only on model RRing. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to contain myself when I see those new cards on the pegs. Time will tell...

I really think that I only have another year, perhaps two, to give to Star Wars collecting.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 11:03 AM by T-Bone Kenobi »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2004, 11:12 AM »
Boredom isn't the right word for my feelings toward the SW line; the correct word would be frustration.  I'm just getting really tired of all these endless repacks, reissues of now subpar toys (the OTC X-Wing after the excellent FX/Saga sculpt), and the apparent unwillingness of the company behind making said toys to recognize and learn from their mistakes.  

A few years ago, I was actually excited about SW toys and I would often wonder what Hasbro was going to put out next.  Now, I find myself wishing that they get all the decent characters for Episode III put out in a year or two tops so this line can die, which is really sad.  

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: June 4, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Yeah, bored may not be right.  Fatigued.  I think everybody knows I am at this point.  I look at the repacks as an opportunity to take a much needed break.  Space, funds, and the fact I've been collecting these for ten years and it's not so new (and how many Vaders can I buy?) have all taken their toll.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2004, 04:03 PM »
I collect other stuff, so I'm not all that bored. By the time all these repacks come out, the Buffy line will be releasing stuff like mad, and that'll suck up fundage pretty quickly.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2004, 03:34 PM »
Mmm, Buffy.  And Batman Hush.  And ML and LOTR, and...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2004, 05:34 PM »
Oh dude, especially the Hush figures. I paid $17 each for Hush and the Joker, and Mike at the Core said they'll get Batman next week. Oooof. Plus series two...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2004, 06:28 PM »
I have never gotten bored with SW collecting, for me it has gotten more exciting every year.  There are some very, very slow times once in a while though, and to me this time coming up is going to be one of them.  

The VOTC figures are going to be very exciting though, as are the Dagobah/Bespin/re-release Endor waves, but most of the other stuff is pointless rehashes IMO.  

During times like this, I tend to rekindle my love for customizing figures and making new dioramas.  And I will hopefully get my photonovel series back on track.  I will also probably do a lot of buying older army-builders and fodder for more customs.  It's the Wookie way to save the day. :D

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2004, 08:57 AM »
I don't know if I am necessarily bored either.  I'm kind of frustrated with so much re-released stuff during the second part of the year though (some I can understand, but Hasbro may have gone a little overboard).  However, I don't know if I have been as excited for figures for a long time (since vintage days) about those VOTC figures.  I can't wait until those start showing up.  Also pretty excited about the Dagobah/Bespin waves, and the other figures we have seen during the first 6 months or so this year.  I think 2004 has been a pretty good year for figures, re-releases aside.

Also...with distribution spotty (at least around here), I think the dry spells in finding Star Wars swag has led me into collecting other lines in the past.  I'm pretty much just interested in Marvel and LOTR stuff now, but probably wouldn't have thought as seriously about buying any if I didn't have long spells without finding Star Wars stuff.  Must be some sort of collecting "bug", have to buy something.  Still haven't had much luck talking the wife into having more LOTR figures in the office though :)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Totally bored. Too many re-releases and resculpts.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"