Author Topic: Shipping to Canada???  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Shipping to Canada???
« on: June 3, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Nope, not going to whine about anything.  For a change.  

A question for our intrepid US friends.  If you are sending something to Canada, is there a way to get delivery confirmation/signature through USPS?  It should seem simple, but I don't know if it is.  I've had a great many packages come up this way, but have never signed unless there were associated customs fees and that never tells the sender anything.  

I'm sure you can with UPS or other methods of shipping, but those tend to come with exhorbitant brokerage fees for the Canadian recipient, something sure to get the Canucks whining again (as we do about SSW.com shipping to Canada).  

Anyone?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping to Canada???
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2004, 09:45 PM »
to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to track and confirm anything that leaves the u.s. without using global priority mail, and getting into that will probably cost as much as ups.  :-\

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2004, 09:49 PM »
I ask about this when I sent out an item to Austrila and the clerk told me the only way would be to get it insured which would help track the item down.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Check out the USPS web site.

Bottom of the page.

Track & Confirm products and services

Hope this helps.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2004, 09:59 PM »
actually, i just went and checked the usps website. apparently, you need to use global express mail to get any kind of tracking and insurance. starts at $15.50, takes 3-5 days.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2004, 10:10 PM »
I think I've discussed this with you and Dale in the past Brent, 'cause it would seem like there would/should be some kind of way of doing this with USPS.

What I've been told by the USPS employees when inquiring in the past about confirmation/tracking to Canada, is that it IS available, but only with the extremely expensive option of insurance, which was like an additional $12 - $15.  Sounds like that's what Dave's link there says as well.

So it's available, but at a very steep price.  Unless something's changed in the past year when I wasn't paying attention, I'm pretty sure that's the only option.  So an extra $15 for tracking and confirmation to Canada, whereas we can get it here on a package within the States for only 45 cents.  Go figure...   ::)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2004, 10:14 PM by KG's fishing buddy »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2004, 10:15 PM »
I'm not sure if Simon reads this section or not but when he sent my Kubricks a few weeks ago he sent it with tracking (Global EMS???) and worked fine...not sure how much it cost him but it wasn't much because the total on the Kubs was like $95 plus air shipping and insurance

Not sure if that is an option for us Yanks or not???

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2004, 10:19 PM »
Never heard of EMS being available to us Yanks.  Since most of the EMS stuff from Japan usually costs about $12 to $15 for the shipping, insurance, tracking, etc., I'm guessing that's not an option we've got (at least to Canada) based on what I've been told by the postal employees.  Wish we did have it though...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2004, 10:28 PM »
International Express Mail (EMS). Simon shipped my Kubricks this way & I have had other parcels shipped this way from over there.

Basically EMS is a courier service. My parcels came by Purolator.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2004, 08:38 AM »
Since I seem to be part of the toy-export-to-Canada system, I can tell you first hand the information about tracking packages via high priced insurance is correct.
I've always wanted to track the stuff I send but in order to do so the price was an additional $20.00.  I'm not so sure about the normal insurance I put on the packages now will help find a lost package.  I have another one to send out today so I'll ask them the exact specifics and let you know.

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2004, 11:52 AM »
Brent...from now on I'll put a GPS locater in all packages and you can sit with a hand held and watch it slowly head up yonder.

What I wonder...do they actually air ship stuff from MN to Canada or do they just ship it via truck and make you pay out the nose???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 4, 2004, 12:06 PM »
What I wonder...do they actually air ship stuff from MN to Canada or do they just ship it via truck and make you pay out the nose???

Not sure about Minnesota to here.

I say it's a hit & miss. You can send it by air & it may go surface & visa versa. Depends on the room. I sent a parcel last year to Europe by surface which would take anywhere from 6-8 weeks & they got it in 1 1/2 weeks. If they find they have room & the parcel will fit, in it goes.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 4, 2004, 11:33 PM »
Brent...from now on I'll put a GPS locater in all packages and you can sit with a hand held and watch it slowly head up yonder.

My guess is it makes not a whiff of difference.  From me to you goes by truck, I'm 99% sure of it.  I've sent smaller packages to a bunch of the Minnesotans (yourself, Jim, Jeff, Cory when he was there and a couple of other guys variously from RS/GH) and then I've sent big packages to you and Jim as well.  The difference, maybe two days.  

But Canadian shipping sucks anyway.  Air or expedited (surface with tracking and shipping) is decided primarily by weight for us going to the US anyway.  I can pay air for a big package, but it makes no sense to do so.  Jacks up the price by about double or more for no more speed and no insurance/tracking.  

Anyway, thanks for all the answers.  It was something I didn't know how to answer for a friend.  Most informative.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2004, 12:08 PM »

My guess is it makes not a whiff of difference.  From me to you goes by truck, I'm 99% sure of it.  I've sent smaller packages to a bunch of the Minnesotans (yourself, Jim, Jeff, Cory when he was there and a couple of other guys variously from RS/GH) and then I've sent big packages to you and Jim as well.  The difference, maybe two days.  

But Canadian shipping sucks anyway.  Air or expedited (surface with tracking and shipping) is decided primarily by weight for us going to the US anyway.  I can pay air for a big package, but it makes no sense to do so.  Jacks up the price by about double or more for no more speed and no insurance/tracking.  

Anyway, thanks for all the answers.  It was something I didn't know how to answer for a friend.  Most informative.  

Thanks Brent and others for the input.  Brent check out the best deal thread in the vintage section.  I have some extra stuff for you for free if you could use it.

-Fish-

Offline Membraneman

• Jedi Initiate
  • Me, Me, Me !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2004, 02:10 PM »
But Canadian shipping sucks anyway.  

No kidding. I just priced out a 12" Jango head (just the head) in a small padded envelope. $8.05 to send to Nova Scotia.
It's downright robbery here in Canada just to ship between provinces
« Last Edit: June 5, 2004, 02:10 PM by Membraneman »
I FIND, YOU FIND, WE TRADE

Bob Newton
Membraneman
BHC Administrator
bob@galactichunter.com