Author Topic: Episode 3 Packaging Revealed!!!  (Read 33344 times)

Offline road

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 3 Cardback
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 12:58 PM »
This is my take on what the EPIII card should look like...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Nice work road, much better than my effort no doubt ;D

I'm fairly confident that my final version a few posts up here is almost identical to what we will be seeing...and my thoughts on it are mixed

I like the mix of oranges, reds and yellows along with the black to contrast the warm/hot tones.  

From what I've been told, the Vader actually is really neat...not sure if that is a New Episode III helmet or they just drew him "angry" sort of like what Deanpaul's animation showed on page 1.

They will be pushing the lava thing hardcore in all of the packaging and merchandise.  Its going to literally being dripping off the boxes and cards

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I've seen images of Vader from Episode III. Purists have nothing to fear. The illustration on the branding is just a stylized version of the character. Think of the "Vader in Flames" icon developed for the TESB crew patches. That's as far as the artistic license goes from what I could tell.
Post sober.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 02:36 PM »
I prefer that one, if it's going to be stylized then don't do some lame looking warped shot from the movies. Now, this would make the 3rd time Vader is featured on the card in the modern era, right? Seems like more than that, but That's 1995-2002 so it seems like more.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2004, 01:23 AM »
Road that's a NICE cardback.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Durge

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2004, 01:28 AM »
This is my take on what the EPIII card should look like...

Holy S---! That is a great looking cardback. I'm sure it'll be better than Hasbro's attempt.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2004, 03:33 PM »
Ya' know, the more I look at that potential packaging, the more I'm not quite as excited about it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a cool look, but it's almost got so much visually going on that I'm concerned that it might detract from the look of the actual figure on the card, and that is, after all, what it's all about, right?

I've gotta admit though, that I love road's example there.  Having the Vader on that card, since it's obviously one of the more appropriate figure choices for the "scene"/backdrop depicted there, makes it very cool.  That almost gives it the OTC feel, with the appropriate background for each respective figure.  So for Vader, and perhaps a couple others, I think that would be a sweet cardback.  But for the entire line, I think it may be a bit too much...   :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2004, 03:44 PM »
I'm hoping the scenes stay too ala the OTC...it could happen with the lava acting as a pseudo-border to the bottom and sides sorta like the bars on the OTC card now...

I've read and seen complaints to the fact the Black/Orange/Red has been done to death but I really think these a bunch different than either of the POTF2 or Ep1 cards

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:45 PM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Keep in mind that Hasbro has been allowed to take liberties with branding in the past. If they don't like the way things are looking, they'll get together with Lucasfilm and develop a solution.

I've no doubt the basic elements will all be there (logo, Vader, lava), and Lucasfilm's branding has usually been pretty simple and flexible, but I've noticed differences between what Hasbro is allowed to do and what is expected of most other licensees.
Post sober.

Offline road

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2004, 07:05 PM »
thanx for all the kind words!!  ;D
It was fun to just come up with something...
I hope its good no matter what they decide to do...

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2004, 09:34 AM »
I like this last version as well!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2004, 01:09 PM »
That last version gave me goose bumps!

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2004, 01:06 AM »

OK...little birdy sent me some more really big clues.  I've modified mine slightly and I think it looks pretty damn good!  Actually this is almost spot on
Made a few small tweaks...it will be interesting to see how close this is to the real thing and how much liberty Hasbro will get in their design.  The top left is sort of boring and I'm wondering if the SW Logo might be in the middle

SilverZ

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2004, 04:59 AM »
Hmmm. That SW logo looks pretty tiny. I don't know, but my first impression was fairly positive about this card, but now I'm already growing bored with it, honestly.

This really is based off stuff that comes out of LFL's Ep3 styleguide? The orange/red theme is going to be played out before the movie even hits - it's so overbearing.

Offline Durge

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2004, 01:35 AM »
We haven't even seen the real thing yet. How can you be bored!?