Author Topic: do you have too much stuff?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
do you have too much stuff?
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:54 PM »
over the course of the past several weeks, i've been going through all of the boxes of stuff that i've collected over the years. when i moved into this apartment a year and a half ago, there was an "extra" room at the back end that was supposed to be my collection room. well of course, the only thing it collected was crap that had nowhere else to go. but i recently took all the boxes - every single last one - and moved them out of that back room to set up my collection.

so, i picked up a few cd racks that were made of wood and had some glass sliding doors on them for the loose figures, and i decided i was going to hang all of my carded figures on the surrounding walls.

now, my back room (which was supposed to house my entire collection) is full. and the only things i have back there are:
    *modern 4" carded figures '95 to present
    *loose 4" modern figures '95 to present
    *loose 4" vintage figures '77 to '84
    *a few loose vintage items (rancor, mail away stand and a few others)
and that's it.

i'm completely out of room. well, not completely. i have enough space for about another 75 carded figures on one wall, and maybe another 20 or so loose figures in the cases. after that, i'm done.

and that's only about 1/2 of the stuff that i wanted to display. the other stuff (vintage carded, modern and vintage 12" figures, lego, unleashed, model kits, statues, etc. etc.) is all scattered throughout two other rooms of the house - computer room and living room (the bedroom is off limits to star wars items, because it currently houses my nightmare before christmas collection). and i'm still not even done with all the items i was hoping to display.

of course, i also have about 20 posters that i was hoping to frame and display. but now, after all the shelves and book cases that are holding all this stuff are mounted to the walls, i have almost no free wall space.

does anybody else have this problem? do you have too much stuff? what do you do with it all? should i just move out and get a bigger apartment??  ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: do you have too much stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:37 AM »
When we moved recently, and I spent the time packing and unpacking my stuff, I kind of got to feeling a little "overwhelmed" at times too.  I don't have nearly the collections of many of the people here, and I have a very select few carded figures (which are packed away), so I'm sure I don't have the space issues that many others have.  I guess I just don't like my collection to start to look "cluttered" or to look like I'm really jamming figures on the shelves either.  Right now I don't have everything on display either, but would like to eventually.  I have my modern, loose figures on some shelving that I put up in our office closet.  I took the closet door off, and it works pretty well to display them in there.  A few figures (old POTF2, and/or crappy Episode I or Saga figures) have gotten packed away, and I still don't have an area to display my vintage loose collection on (but I'm not done with that anyways, so it is ok).  I have my Unleashed displayed on the top of my desk here, but would like to eventually get some "floating" shelves to put them on around the room.  I also have another bookshelf that currently holds the B-Wing (that thing is tough to fit anywhere), Clone Wars Animated figs, Playskool Star Wars, the 25th Anniversary sets (and Trash Compactor Screen Scene), the two Target glass sets I have right now, and some prequel ships (Anakin/Zam speeder, Jedi Starfighter, Jango's Slave I).  I also have my other, smaller collections on these shelves too (LOTR, Marvel Stuff).

I've started to consider being a little more selective with my collecting, just so I don't get too overwhelmed in here, or to figure out some more shelving.  There is some great Star Wars stuff coming up (VOTC collection, Galactic Heroes, new Falcon, and a "few" new OTC figures), a few more LOTR and Marvel Legends figures I'd like to get, as well as a growing Spider-Man collection that I'm really getting into.  Plus, now I'm starting to get interested in the SW Kubricks as well, so that won't help any (but at least they are smaller).  Anyways, I know sometimes I wonder if I have "too much stuff", and I think sometimes I look over a few things here and there and wonder if I really needed them or not.  Sometimes it was some completist-ism coming over me, other times it was just that I hadn't seen anything new for a long time in stores, and settled.  I have considered at time collecting only OT items, to keep it more limited, but when a new movie comes around, I just end up buying more than I should anyways.  Plus, I do like to at least have some of the key characters from the prequels.  Anyways, I do know what you are saying, I sometimes feel like I have "too much stuff" as well.  As long as you are happy with your collection, and can figure out some way to enjoy it (displaying it, changing it out every few weeks/months, or buying a bigger house  :P)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 01:06 PM »
Ha Ha Ha!  I know what it's like to have too much stuff.

I have well over 1200 loose figures now on display in dioramas in a spare bedroom in my house (all on those nice heavy duty shelf units from Lowe's), and I don't think there is room for a 6th shelf for the upcoming EP3 figures.  I am afraid I am screwed.

Most of my 12" collection is still at my parents' house, and my wife won't let me expand much of anything outside of the collection room.  I do have a few on the computer desk, but she usually takes them down and throws them in a closet when she sees them.

I would think that collecting carded stuff would be even harder than loose since the packages take up so much space.  But then again, loose army building people have huge problems too when the armies get out of control.

:P

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 01:39 PM »
I also have a lot of stuff, and am moving into a house next week that I will have less space than I have now.  What I plan to do, and I'm hoping works, is to rotate what I have on display every few months.  The thing is, I'm a 36 year old man, so I don't actually "play" with my toys.  But by changing my displays now and then, I can spend time actually interacting with my collection, and not just looking at it.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I rearrange my stuff about once a month or so, it keeps the collection a fresh look.

:P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 02:50 PM »
YES.  This is why I have a 10' x 10' climate controlled storage unit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I had around 1000 loose figures out that I recently packed up in zip lock bags and put away. I kept the unleash out and about 50 of my favorite 3 3/4. Between SW and TB LOTR figures, I just do not have the space in my office to display them. I too have backed off of my collecting and only collect the 3 3/4 that I want and the unleash that I want. I am more excited about the unleash then the 3 3/4. Also have ordered a couple of busts that I really like, and are cool to display.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 05:18 PM »
Yeah, I have way too much stuff. My parents are pressuring me to get it out of their house, so I'm thinkng about renting a storage locker. Trouble is, Iowa winters are brutal, so I'm afraid that won't be any good for the collection.

These are the Days of HMI's Life...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 07:25 PM »
Climate contolled storage is the answer!  Just check your local yellow pages, and be sure to check the place out before you sign any kind of contract.

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

But, I'm knee-deep in trying to find a new apartment, so that's on the back burner for now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 11:02 PM »
If you're apartment hunting, it could be more of a help than a hindrance.  Having a place to stash your collection and whatever else while you're moving things like furniture and everything else in your life isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I move things to my storage unit when it's convenient and I'm headed in that general direction.  It's worked out really well.  However, the fact that I have a 10' x 10' storage unit nearly full, and it's mostly my toy collection is kind of frightening.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:04 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 01:06 PM »
What's your plan for all that stuff Nick?  Storage in the short term, but long term?  

I am fortunate to have a crawl space in our house, but with moving plans, stuff will remain there for the forseeable future.  

As far as too much goes, hell yeah, it's pretty obscene.  I was in JediMac mode plus army builder mode for a while, so it's quite frightening.  It's even scarier when I look at ebay and see what I could have paid, had I been patient.  Oh well.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Short term it's going to stay there.  Long term, I'm looking to get a house to keep everything in a specific room.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 01:56 PM »
That really is the best plan.

I have a "Star Wars Room" in my house and love it.  There is a lot of joking in my family that I get the SW Room and the Garage, and the rest of the house is my wife's (which is true from a decorating point of view).

My whole collection is stored safely in the 12x12 spare bedroom we have.  Shelves, tables and what not, with carded figures stored in Hasbro boxes in the closet.

I only collect SW 3 3/4" figure line, so I've got no legos, 12" AF, micromachines, Legends, LotR, X-Men, Gundam, etc taking up space like others do, so I don't have too much stuff, because it all still fits in the room!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 07:59 PM »
I think I'm going to pitch all the cards I've been saving. That'll save a lot of room.

My collection is pretty well handled, but my comics and magazines are the next pain in the ass. I suppose those could go to the new apartment, since I hope to score a  two bedroom.