Author Topic: Chewie?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Chewie?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Sounds very cool - keep me up to date on the Beauty Queen if you do decide to go with it.  ;)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 09:24 PM »
I kind of lost interest for now, but will keep you updated if I decide to see it through. Trying to devise a short story to do art for that is horror/romance genre. Also attempting to create some cartoons and art to submit to various magazines (New Yorker, Diamond Select...). Diamond Select is doing a contest for fan art. I don't have the specifics in front of me, but if you are interested, I'll get it to you. What filling your sketchbook these days Brad?
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 11:53 PM »
Armor-clad Angels (both good and evil), black birds (crows mostly), and I'm still working on human anatomy so there are alot of torso and full-body sketches. I've been doing alot of Cowboy themed things (boots, spurs, and panchos have been creeping their way into my dreams alot lately) and as always lots of Sci-Fi stuff.

I've been sticking with just a plain old mechanical pencil lately because of my lacking time to really use anything else. It's depressing that I don't have time to even play around with an ebony pencil and a kneaded eraser and smudge stick anymore.

I'm sending you a PM with a few paragraphs of ranting and moaning. Check your inbox,  :P.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 04:55 AM »
Okay Brad. I can't send you these in an IM and prefer to just do it here vs. email in case anyone else might be interested. I can finally post 2 images too! Wow!

Before I address the image, I want to give the info on the Diamond Select Art Submission thing:

Previews wants your drawings! Compete for the "Star Artist of the Month" spot and win free stuff with the "How to Draw Comics Previews Contest".

The subject matter must be based on "New Comic Day". What that means is beyond me, but I assume it's just a one page original comic book art piece that relates to new comics being released. Not necessarilly titles, but in the spirit of... This month's Previews was "How to Draw Comics Month". I'll look into defining it further...

The winner gets their art printed in the (October) Previews and posted on their site. They and 2 runners up also receive "loads of How to Draw Comics-related merchandise". Submissions must be received by August 27th.

For a PDF of the rules and entry form go to:

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=216&ai=12384

I'm not sure I'll do it, but if I do not try, I'll never know...

Now to the art...

This is in regards to your planet art piece Brad. I was talking about all the possibilities and textures you can get with ink and inking related materials. This is half of a 2-Page splash by Carmine Infantino that appeared in a story by Chris Claremont in Starlord magazine #15. It's not planets or space, but an amazing example of a lot of different inking approaches, textures and styles. Most of this is ink and brush, but the line quality varies to establish the illusion of space. Different textures are drawn to establish what is is we are looking at and to separate each object or area drawn from another. I love the composition and how the inked lines guide your eye. The wrap around the guy hanging upside down stands out clearly from him. It may seem easy, but things can get muddy pretty quick if you let them when inking. The other texture in there is from a China Marker (grease pencil). It's a much more consistent and effective way to create a dry brush effect. Obviously, this is about the placement of light and thin lines and dark, thick line. It's also about the use of black space. Any more or any less would shift the balance completely. I just think this is a prime example of a well inked page...

The second is a frame from the same story. This is the more planetary/space image obviously. The stars and the starburst are done with a liquid masking agent and a toothbrush. Just a few calculated (yeah right) flicks along the toothbrush bristles and you have your stars. Let it dry and black it out. He probably masked the planet too by the way. The smaller (and very cool) star dust effect is done with the toothbrush, but after most of the liquid mask has been flicked off. He concentrated on an area and held the brush downward and flicked ever so slowly to get that fine and minute dusting effect.

The planet has several techniques that give it the texture it needs to look rough and planet-like (God, I sound so condescending... - sorry). Most of his you probably see or know, but I'm being thorough. The light source is tricky here as the Starburst appears to be the sun and it wraps around the planet lighting up all sides. The darker is obviously to the left and the crosshatching to the edge gives a sort of sunset effect. The hatching is only on the left side and then black out in the mid areas with scatterings of white to add to the texture developing on the right. Loose brush strokes, spontaneous hatch lines and some China Marker. hina Marker is aways last as it is waxy and will resist the ink. Now there are many other possibilities that could have been used here. Zip-A-Tone for more texture, spounging the ink in light blots for a more crater-like effect...

The point is, that ink gives you a pretty wide range of possibility when dealing with space and if you are painting with color, dyes or colored inks/liquid acrylics/watercolors/gouache can give you the same kinds of results on top of the ink after it dries as it is water proof. Don't know why I decided to take this and run, but thought it might help in some way for the future or if you wanted to redraw what you turned in.

Hope it helped in some way. I actually am thinking I should just do a large splash page of a planet/space scene for portfolio purposes to showcase my ability to use all these different inking techniques in one composition. It would at least be fun to experiment and play with. I'm done boring you and everyone else...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."