Author Topic: Playsets... what are the options for the future?  (Read 20856 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Playsets... what are the options for the future?
« on: June 24, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Let's say that somewhere down the road, Hasbro ends up making some shocking wonderful announcements...

...SAIL BARGE COMING SOON!

...CLOUD CITY PLAYSET COMING SOON!

...DEATH STAR PLAYSET COMING SOON!

If it were to happen, and these were the mother of all vehicles/playsets, how much would you be willing to pay for these?  Say, one comes out in 2005, one in 2006 and one is 2007.

I would be more than happy to shell out hundreds of dollars for each of these if they were done correctly.  Look at how great the USS FLAGG GI JOE playset was, how huge the giant shuttle was they made, etc.  If Hasbro did things right, they really could profit from this, as well as make some fans very, very happy (they could even include 2 ultimate figures with each one to make them even more desirable).

Thoughts?

:P
« Last Edit: November 8, 2005, 10:53 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: High End Vehicles/Playsets - How much $$ would you pay?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:37 PM »
The only one I could come close to guessing a price for would be the Sail Barge.  It would probably be a pretty sizable box, at least as big as the EPISODE I Fambaa box.  I'd pay $80 tops.

With the others, it really depends on how it's done.  There are obvious constraints on doing the Death Star and Cloud City.  It would really depend on how large it is.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 07:45 PM »
I've always wanted them to do this, but I think it would take an arrangement that either Hasbro is unwilling/can't afford to make, or is unable to within the terms of their license. Here's how I figure it:

Scenario A: They make a Sail Barge, Death Star, etc as an ultimate collectible for 3-3/4" scale, and the pricetag brings it in at say, $150-$200 retail. Hasbro can't move enough of them even through an exclusive retailer arrangement because of size/cost. If they had trouble getting the shuttle out using existing tooling, they'll never be willing to shell out the development costs to make an all-new vehicle/playset happen.

Scenario B: They move it online with the same specs. They once again most likely run into order numbers that don't come close to justifying the expense of development, manufacturing, etc.

Scenario C: Sublicense. This would require that their master toy license from LFL allows such an action, which it may not. More than likely they hold all rights to toys, and any portion that they do not wish to pursue can not be sublicensed, but instead would need to be relinquished to LFL, which in turn could license the category to another company. And I'm sure Hasbro, even with the notion of never, ever releasing something called a "high-end vehicle/playset" line, won't let someone else make one without pulling some profit off it. So, it never happens.

Which is a bummer, because what would be great is a sublicense where a smaller shop, Neca, McFarlane, whoever, or a brand new company, fabricates the toy to awesome collector specs, and sells in limited numbers to the small collector base that wants the item. I'd figure under that scenario a Sail Barge, done right, would be in the $200-$250 range.

EDIT: My point is that I don't believe Hasbro is the company that can focus their efforts on a line like this. They're too big, too mass-market, and bandwidth-limited with other parts of the line, like Ep3. There needs to be a subline that compliments the main line to make this happen, and I don't see it ever happening.

This has been another pessimistic post by Jared. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:54 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 09:22 PM »
I'd like to see it happen, but there isn't any way in hell I'd buy them.

They'd just be too big and space is already an issue.
But, if these playsets were to happen, they'd be remembered for ages ala Hasbro's own GI Joe: ARAH playsets and vehicles. (Whatever happened to the Hasbro of twenty years ago?)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:55 PM »
Unfortunately those big ticket Xmas purchases, like the Flagg was for me, have been replaced by PS2 and Xbox consoles, me thinks.   :( I just don't think there are kids asking for things like this, or parents willing to buy them if there were anymore... just us collectors, who apparently don't figure too much into any modern Hasbro thought until times get desperate.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:27 AM »
-sob-

I know, it's never going to happen...

:'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 10:56 AM »
I saw a report somewhere that Video Games have taken over toys in terms of kiddom interest just recently...be right back and I'll see if I can find it

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 10:58 AM »
sigh...

I'm right there with you, CHEWIE, wishing playsets were a priority for Hasbro.

There are three big strikes against palysets (as already mentioned and pretty much universally accepted):

1) Too expensive for Hasbro to invest in the toolings

2) Too expensive for the consumer to purchase at the store

3) Not enough shelf space at the retailer

I wish the impetus was there to look beyond these limitations and figure out a way to get us some neat stuff. Just look at Kenner's solutions to these problems twenty years ago: the vintage Death Star was mostly space, defintiely home-assembled, and completed with cardboard walls. The only Cloud City Playset was aslo a cardboard pop-up one that fit into a TV-Dinner sized box.

I'd be willing to take a board-based playset, something you assemble at home and fits in a box no bigger than a board game. Key pieces of the set could be molded in plastic that would then "plug in" to the walls and floors, but for the larger surfaces, I'd take cardboard-like parts printed to look movie-accurate.

The Death Star playset I made for myself (as an example) exists really as mostly flat sticker-covered walls with just a few pieces thrown in to bring it to life (computer consoles, doorways, etc).

It could be made without the toolings, it could be cheap enough to buy, it could take up less space on the shelf.

In short, it could work if anyone were willing to think outside of the (plastic) box.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 12:41 PM »
You are absolutely correct Muftak.  They also made that Palitoy Death Star back in the day too!

Really though, if they made sturdy thick cardboard as backing for scenes, I don't see why in the heck they could not pull something off for a cool Death Star and Cloud City playset.  They could also do modular versions like your masterpiece Muftak.

As for the Sail Barge, well remember they made the Royal Starship that retailed at $100.00.  It is a very cool display piece, but I don't think it has all too much play value since it never is in any real battle scenes in the movies, nor does it have any weapons.  It was also electronic, which didn't help the pricetag.  I am convinced that if they made a Sail Barge the same length, it would be a very cool toy.  And they could probably price it around $150 at TRU.  Not everyone would pay that, but hell I don't really see why someone would pass it up if they really wanted one.  They keep busting out huge GI JOE playsets, and some companies make those 12" scale tanks that go for $200.00, so I don't see why somewhere down the road we can't see a Sail Barge made.  Likely? No, but who knows.

Offline Durge

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 01:54 PM »
I'd pay whatever they wanted for a good Cloud City set.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I'd pay upwards $70 for a good playset. Anymore than $70 and it better be a super-duper Ewok Village.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 04:16 PM »
It really depends on scale for me. I'd pay about $70 - $100 for a to-scale/almost to scale ship/playset, but if it's small and whimpy (i.e. the small playsets from 1995), then I wouldn't pay over $20.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 12:30 PM »

Sail Barge I'd probably pay $100

Cloud City $70-150 depending on size

Death Star $75-100 also depending on size

I know these may seem like high numbers to some of you, but now that my 3 year old daughter has discovered the "Pink" Aisle at TRU, I noticed that the Barbie Dream House is $159 and the Dream Castle is even more.    I bet those things are impossible to find around Christmas time, that being said, I don't buy into the whole "Nobody will buy it" crap that Hasbro puts out.  If you don't OVER-produce it, you won't lose money.  If Mattel can make it work, surely Hasbro can.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 01:01 PM »

Sail Barge I'd probably pay $100

Cloud City $70-150 depending on size

Death Star $75-100 also depending on size

I know these may seem like high numbers to some of you, but now that my 3 year old daughter has discovered the "Pink" Aisle at TRU, I noticed that the Barbie Dream House is $159 and the Dream Castle is even more.    I bet those things are impossible to find around Christmas time, that being said, I don't buy into the whole "Nobody will buy it" crap that Hasbro puts out.  If you don't OVER-produce it, you won't lose money.  If Mattel can make it work, surely Hasbro can.

Agreed!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 01:19 PM »
Unfortunately those big ticket Xmas purchases, like the Flagg was for me, have been replaced by PS2 and Xbox consoles, me thinks.   :( I just don't think there are kids asking for things like this, or parents willing to buy them if there were anymore... just us collectors, who apparently don't figure too much into any modern Hasbro thought until times get desperate.

Nail, you've been hit on the head.  

Realistically, these would have to be priced out similarly to the original FAO price for the shuttle, and probably more.  That's fine for adult collectors (by fine I mean we're likely to pay it, not like it) but no way are adults going to buy those for their kids.  The kids are for the most part playing video games, either on a console or on a computer.  That's a brand new console plus 2-3 games, almost a new low end Dell computer.  If, and that's a mighty big IF, the kids wanted them, they'd want (or have) the figures too, which is additional cash outlay for the parental units.  

I think Hasbro needs to realize what the target audience is for these toys, and toys in general.  There seems to be more adults buying action figures, in general, than kids.  It's a throwback for us, something we grew up with.  Kids = video games from a marketing standpoint.  IMO.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.