Author Topic: Playsets... what are the options for the future?  (Read 20855 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: High End Vehicles/Playsets - How much $$ would you pay?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 02:01 AM »
Wow :o You built those or someone built those for you?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 08:14 PM »
Wow :o You built those or someone built those for you?

Owen D. made them for me.  You ought to check out his site, www.owenscustoms.com.  He makes comissions for people and is very fair on price.

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Man, those are awesome. Hasbro could easily do those for somewhere between $30 and $50.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 12:41 AM »
Man, those are awesome. Hasbro could easily do those for somewhere between $30 and $50.

You're probably right, but the problem I think is that they would be heavily modified with action features, look like a fake shiny plastic, and look nothing like a movie set. 

Seriously, I can't endorse anyoneenough who is interested in talking to Owen,  to please contact him.  Tell him I sent you... and besides, his prices very fair... price depends from project to project, but he doesn't take advantage of anyone.  I've bought a lot of items from him now and have NEVER been disappointed in the least.  I'm always blown away.  All of the items I've gotten from him are way better in person. 

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2005, 06:24 AM »
This may have been said before...I don't know, but a cool idea would be a gigantic playset but split into parts. For example, the Death Star set could come with a separate Trash compactor-control room-hangar bay-cannon area-board room and they would somehow interconnect. With the price point of each being $30 and spread over a time period of say 3 months apiece...I think that someone would be able to logic that this is the way to go...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 8, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Owen D is asctually in the process of creating a behemoth Death Star playset for me, which will probably take a few months.  It is going to be modular too.

Also, I was thinking last night about how in the world are we ever going to get more playsets that we really want?  How can this be done to make the hardcore collecting community happy?  We know Hasbro won't do it, and to be honest I am starting to be glad that they won't.  Whatever they would make would't look realistic and would most likely be bogged down with cheesy action features.

So, what are the options?  Buy a $4,000.00 ATTAKUS Death Star? Hell no, that's too pricey!

But... what if... Gentle Giant got the rights to create something?  I could see their company being more willing to expend the resources to make something like this (and they wouldn't cop out on it).  They would all be sort of like mini-movie replicas.  I could see decent sized playsets retailing for the $100.00-$150.00 range, which is affordable for those of us that really do want them.

How cool would this be?  I am going to make a few drawings maybe of some ideas, and see what you all think.  Maybe I'll be a total geek and send something to them.

I think they should take a good look as stuff like this by Owen D -

« Last Edit: November 8, 2005, 10:54 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: Playsets... what are the options for the future?
« Reply #51 on: November 8, 2005, 06:20 PM »
I'd like a tatooine lars homestead playset, something that was like a big cylander, and opened on a hinge to have a few of the rooms we've seen from the movies.
Also a kamino set kinda like the original DS that was multi leveled with a landing pad on top for the slave1.
now with Rots out, some kind of combo jedi temple/ senate building wouldl be cool.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Kamino... that's a very interesting idea.

I have to admit, I feel really bummed about the lack of playsets.  It's a real shame that Hasbro doesn't realize that the way to make them succeed is to actually make them look like downscaled movie sets.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2005, 05:23 PM »
Some playset ideas...

Kashyyyk Beachhead w/ pack in Wookie Sergeant
$30-40

Kashyyyk Treehouse w/ pack in Imperial Kashyyyk Scout
$40-50

Imperial Bunker (POTF2 Repack) w/ pack in AT-ST Pilot
$10-20

Imperial Rehabilitation Center
$50-60

What do you think of these?

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2005, 05:33 PM »
I'm gonna need to pick up the carbopn freezing chamber sometime because I never saw it in stores - wasn't it some kind of exclusive oro something?
I wouldn't even mind sort of small sets that can go together so we could get only the sets we like or want. that might help the buying cost (to us - screw hasbro ;)  )
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Yep, the Freeze Chamber was an online exclusive.  It's a nice piece, and you can probably score one on ebay for a fair price.

HunterofthePegs - Those are fantastic ideas!  I am sure the rehab chamber would be a big hit.  It's such an important moment in the prequels. They seem to do better with those type of playsets than the ones with terrain in them. 

I think the Kashyyyk playset has potential, but I wouldn't expect them to be able to make anything like that look real.  Might be better off making our own, or talking to someone like Owen.

I have made a cheesy beachhead diorama actually, but need to make some changes to it.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54 PM »
No, I like the idea of transforming playsets...with a thick base and a lever system that ...with a switch of a manual lever transforms the death star props to theed palace or something like that.

Just think- you could have 5 or 6 "dual function" playsets

Chewie! Make me one already!!! ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Slothus, my diorama skills are nowhere near the work of Owen D.  Have you checked out his site?

That is an interesting idea on "dual" playsets, but I don't think they would do it.  Heck, we can't get anything other than a cheesy Mustafar set that looks like a bloody pile of cow dung.

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2005, 03:54 PM »

How cool would this be?  I am going to make a few drawings maybe of some ideas, and see what you all think.  Maybe I'll be a total geek and send something to them.

I'd very much like to see those, Chewie, as would a lot of people here, I think. Anyways, we can always hope for playsets from either Hasbro or another company, can't we?
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Who's this Owens D... do you have a link?