Author Topic: fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 14112 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 07:52 PM »
If it's such bunk, then produce some evidence as to why you think it's not accurate.  Christopher Hitchins wrote a good article on it, and it's probably one of the better assessments of the movie.  He's a credible journalist.  Are you?  Or is it bunk because someone told you so?

Is some of what's in the movie true?  Damn straight.  Is some of it stilted to support Moore's viewpoint?  It's likely.

I think everyone should see this movie just to see what this war is really like.  It gets cleaned up a lot in network news editing before you see it on your tv at home.  It's time for the American public to get a little reality and see how distasteful the truth is.

The real question everyone should be asking is why are all these people trying to slander Michael Moore?  Some of it is to spin things to their way of thinking.  The rest of it is that the "establishment" is afraid of him.  They want to keep him on the fringe in an effort to keep him from showing the American public how much they're getting screwed over.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 07:59 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 07:54 PM »
It's a point of view film.  From day one Moore has called it an op/ed piece.  It's part irrefutable fact, part one man's opinion.  What's bunk about that?  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 08:10 PM »
I said it was to some extent. Jesus, calm down guys.

Anything that is op/ed is bunk to some extent because opinions may skew the facts.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I said it was to some extent. Jesus, calm down guys.

Anything that is op/ed is bunk to some extent because opinions may skew the facts.

Well, I think you're bunk.

How do you like them apples?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 10:28 PM »
Oh yeah! Well you're gunk! Ohhhhhhhh who's face now? Huh? HUH!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 10:46 PM »
I saw F9/11 today. I don't come from a Republcan background, but I wouldn't say I'm Democrat either (definitely liberal-leaning, though.) That said, he made some very good points that, had they been brought to light back in '00, might've made the GOP reconsider W as their candidate.

MM's very dry wit is in tact. It was a good film, it certainly stirred some things in my heart.

If you don't want to hear his opinion (and you know already what it is anyway), I'd suggest not going. If you have an open mind, this is a top-rate documentary.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2004, 12:18 AM »
Remember our policy guys.

Vator doesn't believe it, he doesn't support it...  Leave it at that, but I would rather not see this get any worse than it has (though I see it is "escalating" already).

Just remember that you don't have to agree on this, but it's not something we're wanting to turn into another political debate with points and counterpoints that aren't doing anything but pissing both sides off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2004, 02:49 AM »
Just got back. Fantastic. Pretty much what I expected. Not too much new info for me in there, but for someone who doesn't pay attention to the news, and the news that isn't BIG news, there's lots of new things to learn about George Bush, his ties to the Saudis, and his ties to a lot of other disturbing things...

Moore's editing, as we all know by now, is horribly precise and creative to create a feel. But not condusive to lies or lying. He's got irrefutable point after irrefutable point.

Everyone should see it at least once, at very least it will stir discussion and hopefully rile people up enough to drive down to the local YMCA for 3 minutes in November to cast a little ballot.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2004, 05:21 PM »
The rest of it is that the "establishment" is afraid of him.  They want to keep him on the fringe in an effort to keep him from showing the American public how much they're getting screwed over.

Michael Moore does a good enough job keeping himself on the fringe.

I wouldn't pay to see this movie, but I'll watch it for free, like I did with Bowling for Columbine.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 07:06 PM »
Well, I went and saw Saved!, but was incredibly excited to see a huge line for F 9/11 after my movie let out.

Got my tickets for tomorrow's 1:30 show.

I find all of the Moore-bashing a bit silly, myopic, and misguided.  

There's nothing wrong with presenting a dissenting opinion, and there's especially nothing wrong with questioning authority.

Hopefully this movie'll wake some folks up.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 01:24 AM »
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said that it seems
very propagandaish being that an election is so close and that Micheal Moore is pretty much in the democratic camp. Nothing wrong with that, I just think that maybe the facts could be skewed and probably are.

Some of the points that are brought up in the movie are true, I'll admitt, Bush isn't that great. However, the film shows him in a much darker shade. And not only Bush, but he's the main selling point of this movie, isn't he?

If you want my opinion, here it is, I don't care for this movie being that it could influence the election. I don't want Kerry to win, because if he does I feel that the path that we're currently going down (And it is a pretty bad one) will only get worse.  Nothing wrong with opinion, you're not going to change mine, and I'm not going to change yours.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Damn, I wish I could see this flick. It's the  #1 flick this weekend, and it's not playing here.

Jesus, I hate CEC Theatres.
I think I'm going to send them an e-mail. A really nasty worded e-mail. They didn't play Bowling For Columbine either, so I think they have something against Moore or his viewpoint.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2004, 06:13 PM »
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said that it seems
very propagandaish being that an election is so close and that Micheal Moore is pretty much in the democratic camp. Nothing wrong with that, I just think that maybe the facts could be skewed and probably are.

Some of the points that are brought up in the movie are true, I'll admitt, Bush isn't that great. However, the film shows him in a much darker shade. And not only Bush, but he's the main selling point of this movie, isn't he?

If you want my opinion, here it is, I don't care for this movie being that it could influence the election. I don't want Kerry to win, because if he does I feel that the path that we're currently going down (And it is a pretty bad one) will only get worse.  Nothing wrong with opinion, you're not going to change mine, and I'm not going to change yours.

Vator, I wasn't talking to you or about you[/i].

Personally, I couldn't give a sh!t what some 14 year old kid from South Carolina thinks.  No offense--I just don't.

Just got back from the flick, and it was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.  First movie I've been in since--believe it or not--Clones where the audience clapped.  Several times.

It almost makes me want to vote for Kerry this November, although I realize that here in Joke-lahoma, that would be a wasted vote, anyway.

Maybe instead, I'll donate some money to Kerry's campaign or something, if I wasn't such a cheap bastard.  That would help more than my vote would.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2004, 06:22 PM »
And I wasn't talking about or to you either, just a generalized response is all. Sorry I can get a tad defensive sometimes, since I was largely the only response in the thread against the movie. Just the way I saw it.

C'mon Virex, no need to be rude.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2004, 06:26 PM »
C'mon Virex, no need to be rude.

You'll know when I'm being rude.  Just ask Durge.

I mean, I like ya and all, but on stuff like this, your opinion is of no consequence to me.

Not trying to be rude--that's just the way it is.