Author Topic: fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 14054 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2004, 11:23 AM »
I've not seen this movie, please don't tell me that Moore also supports PETA ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2004, 11:32 AM »
No...Roger and Me was made in the 80's chronicling the shut down of a GM Plant in Flint, Michigan.  One of the scenes is him going to talk to a lady who has rabbits she raises for food and money.

She's shown playing with this cute little bunny and then all of the sudden kills and guts the thing in front of the camera.

I don't think he was showing anything pro-animal rights just how bad it was in Flint

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2004, 11:40 AM »
Ok, thank you for the explanation.  

As may be obvious, I am not a fan of PETA. While I don't habitually beat my pet (no, not that pet), I do rather strongly believe in using animals in research.  And while certain stores may lay claim to 'no animal testing' that's only because they actually do not do any testing any way, they use generics that have already been through the testing.  Essentially they profit without the guilt or paying the price.  Cosmetics aside, there is a reason that pharmaceuticals are tested on animals first.  

But I digress, rather far off topic.  Pardon me.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 5, 2004, 04:29 PM »
More distortions from Michael Moore.

Hey, not my title, it's the title of the linked Newsweek article.  As with all things, a grain of salt is necessary, but perhaps raises a question or two.  

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 5, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Just to make sure everyone knows what a one-sided fraud this movie is, here's 56 lies and distortions that Michael Moore perpetrates in his "movie".

Whoops.  59 deceits and lies.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2004, 10:43 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2004, 11:02 AM »
Wow, now HERE'S a theory.  

Hey, I just find them, I'm not saying they are right, but boy, you sure get every angle covered. :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: July 7, 2004, 10:41 AM »
Saw it last night...

Have some mixed feelings.  I think some of the points he makes are pretty salient, especially the Bush Admin's shift of focus from Al Qaeda the Taliban and Afghanistan to Saddam and Iraq just because is one of my biggest beefs with the current Administration.  And the fact that most of America thinks there are ties between the two makes me sort of ill.

The part about poor kids and kids in general fighting in Iraq when they don't need to be there, and the recruiting practices of the Armed Services.  I don't have a beef with that.  Its a volunteer Army, you don't have to be there and if you're naive enough to join up then its your own damn fault you're over there.  I have a buddy from high school that's been there for almost 18 months.  I think of him every day and hope he comes home soon, but I also think about how he was so gung ho to go into the Army and wanted to serve our country for so long.  Sure you may not like the reason why you're there but you can't really do anything about it since you chose to sign up for that risk.  Lots of kids I knew in school did it for college money.  Is that a good trade off?  I would guess most people would say no.

That being said, the reasons we are there seem to be more and more because Bush and Friends wanted to get Saddam out of there at all costs.  And there are people dying every day both innocent civillians, non-innocent civillians and our own Soldiers.  I hope every day we can find a way to get out of there ASAP and get our people home safe and sound.

The other good point I think Moore makes is the Bush family ties to the Saudis.  Its not just them as there are plenty of fingers on both sides of the aisle with fingers in the Saudi pot.  But with that much money floating around and that much oil at stake, its hard not to think twice about who Bush is really looking out for sometimes.  

My biggest problem with American politics since even before 2000 is that you can't seem to have a middle of the road approach to anything.  Listening to the radio the last few weeks all I have heard is people either trashing this as the biggest piece of **** since Gigli or that its the best film since Gone With The Wind.  I don't think its either, I think he has some good points but some of the stuff really doesn't bother me.  I find the radical views of both parties and their loyalist a little disheartening for the vast majority of people that fall in the middle somewhere like myself.  

One question...Has Bush's Approval ratings changed at all since the film has been released?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 7, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Moore made a pretty good appearance on the Charlie Rose show last night.  I think it was the first part of a two part appearance.  I believe the other segment will air tonight.  It was a pretty good and reasonably tough interview.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 7, 2004, 02:00 PM »
One question...Has Bush's Approval ratings changed at all since the film has been released?

Yes, his numbers have gone down since, but there's no conclusive proof that it's due to Moore's new film.  

BTW, I'm glad you saw it.  It's a documentary that I feel every American should see.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: July 7, 2004, 02:05 PM »

Yes, his numbers have gone down since, but there's no conclusive proof that it's due to Moore's new film.  

BTW, I'm glad you saw it.  It's a documentary that I feel every American should see.
I agree on seeing it...it makes you think for sure about what's going on in the US and world in general.  I think what Brent's been saying though that you have to look at it with the idea that Moore is out to show his story and there is certainly another side to it that isn't being told needs to be recognized.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 7, 2004, 09:30 PM »
That would be exactly what I'm trying to say and about all I am trying to say.  

We all have biases, political or otherwise.  If you can recognize them and question them, so much the better.  Believing something (or opposing something) just because it does (doesn't) suit your personal philosophy is just not that bright.  

Virex said questioning authority is good.  I agree, but question all of it, not just what you don't like.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 9, 2004, 09:21 PM »

lol

Yes, everyone should see this objective, informative, educational tool.

::)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2004, 01:54 AM »
Yes, everyone should see this objective, informative, educational tool.

Glad to see you're finally on board.  And you'll be happy to know that it's made nearly 70 million dollars in two weeks.

so somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 million people have done just that - so far.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2004, 05:06 PM »
I saw it last night.

Some dude behind me kept saying 'bulls--t' to just about everything in the flick.

Such ignorance is disheartening. :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Some dude behind me kept saying 'bulls--t' to just about everything in the flick.

Was he wearing an eye patch?   ???
Binders full of astromechs...