Author Topic: Authentic Double Telescoping Darth Vader  (Read 8348 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Authentic Double Telescoping Darth Vader
« on: February 10, 2003, 10:57 AM »
One expression.

That's right. CLUNK, Sound of jaw dropping.
When I saw this auction I figured, right, another fake.
Well to my surprise, the seller has very good pictures on the DT Darth & very good close-up's of the Telescoping Saber. You can even see the letters BB on the handle. To bad the Saber Tip is broken. Still, the best Ebay pictures I have seen on this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3114439993&category=2475

Thoughts?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
Double Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 04:19 PM »
Be still my heart.  :o Way out of my price range.  :'(
Still overall, a very rare & nice pice to own. Maybe someday.  :)

DT Darth Vader

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Double Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 08:38 AM »
Very nice piece. Someday I may look for a Vader or Ben but for now it is nice to see real ones up for sale.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Nayr Treppel

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 02:23 PM »
That is very nice to bad I am only 13.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2003, 10:18 AM »
I checked to see how the auction ended.
It sold for $1,376.00.   :o  
Guess I'll just stay with my DT Luke. I hate to see what Ben goes for.  

Offline LSTHNZRO

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Not trying to make fun of anyone here, but you gotta have some balls to try and get the real expensive items, and stop telling yourself "out of my price range"
When I first started collecting again, it was one year ago. In that time I have acquired alot of prototypes and rarities. How you may ask........I hunted high and low, and paid a bundle.
I have ALL THREE DT figures in my posession allready. Yes, they are authenticated. I am paying off 2 more DT Vader, and yet another DT Ben from a man in England. It will take me months to pay them off. I am also making monthly installments on a 12 Back DT Luke(AFA 50Y)
I have 3 DT Lukes now. My point.......when all is said and done, I should have the largest collection of DT figs in the world.   When I first started I saw these guys at shows who were like: too rich for my blood, I'll just go and get some more Boba Fett stickers and R2-D2 cofee mugs, and hope one day somebody will just give me a Rocket fett for free because I love SW.

"No way is the way.......There is no trying......do or do not"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 08:57 PM »
...you gotta have some balls to try and get the real expensive items, and stop telling yourself "out of my price range"...

Well, that's a little easier said than done.  Fact is, some if this stuff IS out of a lot of our price ranges.  Just because something's incredibly awesome and a magnificent collectible, doesn't mean we can just go out an grab one at any time.  There's the rather important factor of "financial responsibility".  Some of us have families to support, house payments to make, etc. and going out and spending $1,000+ on various Star Wars items is probably not the best idea for many of us.  Neither is going into debt, and paying credit card interest to acquire a tough piece.  Sure, it may work for some people, but definitely not for most of us...

Just because I love the new Porsche that came out recently, that doesn't mean I should just go out and buy it despite the exorbitant cost.  Unfortunately we all have to live within our means and can't buy every cool thing out there that catches our eye...

Sure wish we could though!   8)

Offline LSTHNZRO

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 09:13 PM »
I guess I didn't put it right. If you really cannot afford it.....DONT buy it. I work alot of overtime, sell custom figures I make, save money whenever and whereever I can to buy this stuff. My family comes first, and they always will.
What I really mean is to  do whatever it will take, work your fingers to the bone, work until you collapse, scrimp and save, and maybe, if you have the money, and are in the right place at the right time.........it will all be yours.
Take care and God Bless

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 09:19 PM »
OK, I gotchya' now...  That makes more sense when you put it that way!   ;)

Even if we can't afford some of these great pieces in Star Wars collecting history, they sure are fun to admire still!   :)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 12:49 AM »
Patience.

That is all you need. Pure and simple. Good things come to those who wait.

No matter how rare, the odds that something is going to become available again are pretty good these days. If you look through all the threads of ebay vintage items in this post, you'd kick yourself about missing them, unless you have patience and realize they will appear again.

I am living, at best, paycheck to paycheck. I work my fingers to the bone as it is, but as JMAC said, house payments, family, loan payments, taxtime... there's no way. I'd most likely sell it as soon as I got it.

Some day I hope to really start working on the carded vintage stuff (none at the moment). I am sure that when that time comes, I will still be able to find most of these items out there. DSJ is constantly saying how he bid on this or that a while back, which is proof enough for me. Why die working to fill a collection when the collection will always be around waiting for us to find it. The jedi collector lets the collectibles find him...

I am not blasting you LSTHNZRO. Just giving my view. It would be great to be able to possess your will and enthusiasm and work ethic. I admire you for being passionate about this great phenomenon. Keep at it and post some pictures so we can enjoy your spoils a little too.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 01:16 AM »
I got my DT Luke years ago...  Even then it was pricey for me, so now with more bills and my modern collecting I really can't even consider things like $1400 figures.  Someday I'm sure though.  They'll still be there and be for sale...

To me, it's not just something you can buckle down and say you're gonna get when you have things like car costs weighing over you...  I just got a T-Bird SC, and it was all I could do to get that...  And I actually NEED a car.  :)

Unless Ben & Vader DT can carry me to school in 45 minutes...  Chicks just wouldn't dig that as much though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline LSTHNZRO

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2003, 05:04 PM »
Glad to see that I am not being witch hunted here. I often open up my big fat mouth without thinking, as I have done here.   Ive got better than pics for you guys..........My firset Dt Fig was Ben, I have had since I was a child. When I was eight or nine years old, I tripped over my Death Star, and stepped on Ben, breaking his lightsaber. Now, who wouldve ever in a million years think how big of a deal that was. I tried to glue it back together that day, but it didn't work, and so I guess the end of the saber was thrown away, or was sucked up by the Vacuum monster.
Do you have any clue what it feels like to have that figure????? Yeah, I got a DT Ben........I opened him up, ripped him off his card, threw the card away, broke his saber, and lost the broken pieces.  If there was ever a time in my life when I wanted to put a gun in my mouth, it was when I started collecting and realized what that was worth.
That DT Saber is actually being restored to all it's former glory. The guy in England, Craig is his name, who makes the DT Sabers, is going to repair it with me. We are going to put my saber in his mold, and inject molten plastic into it, and outfit it with one of his inner sabers.
The tough part will be the color match.
We are having it written up as a big story, and are going to take alot of pics. I'll keep everybody posted

"He is .......the ONE"

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 06:29 PM »
That is pretty sweet and is an act that is very committed to what this is about for a lot of us 'Old School' fans. It is capturing, or recapturing the past. It is about nostalgia and trying to find moments in our present that can telelport us back to a more innocent and amazing time in the history of Star Wars and our own lives. I highly respect your quest and know why you do what you do in the name of childhood and the thrill of a new mythology being started and giving us enough room for our imaginations to explore this new universe we had been given with these great 'new' toys. I look forward to what you can share with us about the process and the final outcome in your quest to repair a figure far beyond monetary value...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 8, 2003, 01:11 PM »
$1,376.00 on the last auction was what it went for. This is a new auction I found.
Authenticated Double Telescoping Darth Vader

So far it is around my price range. Will have to wait for the final few minutes.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: June 8, 2003, 07:13 PM »
That newer auction you posted about Dale is a great one!  Hopefully you'll bid on it and win it.  I would be nice having that DT Darth Vader sitting next to your DT Luke Skywalker.   ;D
dustrho