Author Topic: Is it possible to run out of things to buy on ebay?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Is it possible to run out of things to buy on ebay?
« on: September 12, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Of course not, but of late, I've had a hard time keeping items in my watched category.  Not so long ago, during my vintage buying heyday, I had trouble making space in the watched list for all the things I was following.  But now?  It's crazy. 

And it's not just vintage SW toys that were in there.  All manner of purchaseable item were in there: golf clubs, golf towel, shoes, all other manner of star wars toys - Kubrick's, busts, modern, etc.  Now that I've picked up a game boy advance SP, I have a new category to search, but I'm inherently cheap, so they get deleted as soon as the price gets near about 60% of retail. 

My grails are done, those that I deemed obtainable: Glow in the dark homer; Riddell Stormtrooper bust.  The unobtainable one killed my interest for the most part in McFarlane Sportspicks: 3rd Jersey Roy.  Killed is not quite right, but scaled back. 

I've bought sneakers, golf clubs, toys of every imaginable type, clothes - golf shirts, jackets, etc.  There's just not that much more I want.

Oh sure, there are lots of Star Wars items I could pick up but two things get in the way: being cheap and being realistic.  Sitting here watching the special on the tube, my desire for the vintage carded 12 backs is fueled substantially, but then reality comes in, telling me no way am I spending that much on this hobby.  I won't be able to insure them for that value.  Ships, quite simply, are not practical for me from a vintage standpoint.  Some are great, some not, but space won't allow it.  Otherwise, there isn't that much I can fit and/or want.

I have a few things left I want to pick up yet:
vintage small head Han
vintage brown hair Luke farmboy
vintage vinyl cape Jawa - for this, I'm unconvinced that ebay is the best place to get an authentic piece. 

So the question for you is thus: have you ever been saturated with respect to ebay?  Weird, eh?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to run out of things to buy on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:24 PM »
Ok, so clearly 26 people are left speechless at the thought. 

Have you ever restrained yourself on ebay from buying something? 

Two days hence I'll ask another ridiculous question.  Stay tuned ::)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:42 PM »
I have a hard time finding stuff I want ebay that I'm willing to pay for. from 97 to 99, I bought a lot of vintage stuff off of ebay at really great prices, but it wasn't until last year that I bought anything. the good deals are very hard to find if you're not scouring 4-5 times a day.  It's my cheapness and frugalness more than anything that is keeping me away. I just cant get myself to pay more than $30 for a single figure, which is what I would have to do to get those last 9 POTF figs I need. It's hard to pay $80 for an Amanaman, when I once paid the equivalent of $6 for an EV-9D9. Sigh..... :(
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Not a chance! I could spend forever on eBay!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 12:01 PM »

Got that right!  ;)  Buying & selling, gotta love it!  ;D

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 03:30 PM »

Got that right!  ;)  Buying & selling, gotta love it!  ;D

No selling for me, really. Just buying.

I collect more than just SW items, and have found eBay to be a great place to find classic car parts.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 04:39 PM »
Agreed, ebay can be utterly spectacular, especially when selling. 

It's just from a practical (=cheap) standpoint, I've near run out of things to buy.  If I knew someone in Madison, there's an R2-D2 Cooler I'd snag in a second (no shipping, pickup only :-\) but aside from that, my watch list is quite sad.  The only item I'm actively bidding on has two dork newbie buyers running the total up ::)  Love it as a seller, hate it as a buyer. 

It's the first place I look for things now, whatever they may be. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 05:57 PM »
You and I are much alike, Grandpa. When I get into a toy store, I suddenly become inherantly cheap. I don't want to spend x amount of dollars on any toy I really want. I have a hard time just walking to the register.

I have held my bidding on ebay many of times just so I didn't spend money that later went to an impulse Pizza at a friends, or an impulse comic book.

I don't understand it sometimes.

Kevin

And what the hell is a gold towel? Do the balls need their own towel? Well...golf balls that is. What about the clubs? Why do they need socks? Weirdo.
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 10:28 PM »
And what the hell is a gold towel? Do the balls need their own towel? Well...golf balls that is. What about the clubs? Why do they need socks? Weirdo.

Towel is to clean the dirt and grass off the clubs.  Rumour has it that this somehow affects the ball when it's hit, not that I would notice. 

$400 bucks for a driver, you'd put a sock on it too. 

Junior. :-*

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 11:16 AM »

Towel is to clean the dirt and grass off the clubs.  Rumour has it that this somehow affects the ball when it's hit, not that I would notice. 

$400 bucks for a driver, you'd put a sock on it too. 

Junior. :-*

400 God Damned dollars for a club?!?!

And you can afford this sport?! I prefer a 5 dollar Hackey Sack. and 20 dolla tennis shoes, where socks, while itchy, have a use.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 11:03 PM »
Never.

You just need to move on to your next hobby or collection, once you've completed the one you were already working on!  Silly wabbit!   :P