Author Topic: Junk food regionality  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Junk food regionality
« on: July 11, 2004, 09:55 PM »
Yeah the title sucks, I know.  A spin off of the slurpee thread, but I know of only a few regional items that Americans can't get and a few that we can't get only available in the US.  

Ketchup chips are a personal fave for me and I believe are only now making their way into the US, though they are crappy Lays IIRC.  Old Dutch are far and away the best, making your fingers red with the dust on them.  Yum.  

Red Vines are not widely available in Canada and a must for me on each visit south.  7-1 lb bags last visit :-X  I absolutely love those things.  

Frankenberry is uber regional.  Even just before Halloween last year in Cincinnati I couldn't find them, most tragic.  Fortunately Scott has a quasi-nearby source to send me my fix a couple of times a year.  We actually used to have these in Canada for a period of time, but no more.  Forgot to get my bobblehead last batch :-[

Beer is not quite junk food (it's more of a health food IMO) but is obviously quite regional.  What else is out there?  

Poutine? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

Re: Junk food regionality
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:24 AM »
I was frequently tormented by this atrocity at one point in my life, which is thankfully nowhere to be found in the US:

:-X

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:14 AM »
We have a thing here for food on a stick.  Especially at the Minnesota State Fair...Hot Dog on a stick, Cheese on a Stick, Deep Fried Twinkies on a Stick, Cheese on a Stick, Deep Fried Candy Bars on a Stick, Alligator on a Stick, it goes on and on

Each year there is a new challenge to be the hot thing at the fair, it will be interesting to see who tops who this year

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:34 AM »
I agree... MN land of food on a stick.

Pork Chop on a stick... Mmmm... *drool*

Each year, we try to find one new "food on a stick" to try.  Last year, it was deep-fried Oreo on a stick.  VERY sweet.  Tooo sweet, in fact.  ;)

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 10:58 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:41 AM »
Mmmm...Fairs. We have Klondike Days every summer. One thing I look forward to is those mini-donuts. I could get sick eating them!  ;D

They had them at the big mall here in the Fantasyland Galaxyland Amusement Park but there not the same!  >:(

We have a thing here for food on a stick.

Each year there is a new challenge to be the hot thing at the fair, it will be interesting to see who tops who this year

;D  "Jalapeno, On A Stick!"  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 10:53 AM »
I agree... MN land of food on a stick.

Pork Chop on a stick... Mmmm... *drool*

Each year, we try to find one new "food on a stick" to try.  Last year, it was deep-fired Oreo on a stick.  VERY sweet.  Tooo sweet, in fact.  ;)

Jeff
I say the same with Snickers on a Stick and the Twinkie on a Stick

I keep saying Big Red's love, Bugs will be making an appearance some time at the Fair.  Fried mealworms on a Stick or perhaps Grasshopper on a Stick.  Mark my words on that one

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Mmm, vegemite.  Difficulty in finding peanut butter in Australia.  Also finding real Ketchup (catsup?), most places had tomato sauce, which was close to putting tomato soup on your french fries.  blech.  

Other Australian oddities.  I recall Burger king was called Hungry Jack's at the time.  Ordered up a whopper and it came with both beet root and a fried egg on it :o  This is nearly 20 years ago, so things may have changed by now.  

Bug on a stick?  Not sure I like the sound of that :-*

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 01:42 PM »
One of the strangest things I have heard of?  Deep fried Snickers and Mars bars in Northern England and Scotland.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 02:09 PM »
One of the strangest things I have heard of?  Deep fried Snickers and Mars bars in Northern England and Scotland.
Yeah that's what these are...

They dip the bar in Goo and then deep fry it and then sprinkle Powdered Sugar on top.  This was also the home of the Deep Fried Oreo last year.  It is way too sweet for my liking

The other big deal at the MN State Fair is deep fried Cheese Curds...

They are NOT on a stick

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 11:57 PM »
Poutine = french fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds (not deep fried).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 12:14 AM »
I remember that people in Montreal were really into their "smoked meat". :D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 05:21 AM »
The other big deal at the MN State Fair is deep fried Cheese Curds...

They are NOT on a stick

Mmmmm deep fried cheese curds.... there's a fast food chain in Wisconsin and parts of Illinois called Culver's that has the greatest deep fried cheese curds on the planet. I didn't even know they existed until I visited one last year and now my appreciation for deep fried cheese products has vastly increased. :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Encrypt3dByt3s

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Star Wars Collector's Marketplace
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 08:37 AM »
Culver's rocks, they've got really good burgers too.  Unfortunately they don't have anything on a stick and only some items are deep fried...
~ Encrypt3dByt3s
Buy, Sell, and Trade your Star Wars items at the Star Wars Collector's Marketplace.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Mmmmm deep fried cheese curds.... there's a fast food chain in Wisconsin and parts of Illinois called Culver's that has the greatest deep fried cheese curds on the planet. I didn't even know they existed until I visited one last year and now my appreciation for deep fried cheese products has vastly increased. :)

Just an FYI in case you ever make it out here, but Culver's has invaded Minnesota too!  Quickly becoming a family favorite dur to the tasty frozen treats and quick butter-burgers which are much tastier than BK or McD's!

And, speaking as one who has tried both, I'd still go with the MN State Fair Fried Cheese Curds.  There's something about frying food in the super heat of late August in MN that makes those littel buggers even better... no restaurant can quite capture that mystique!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Is there anyone from NJ that can re-confirm that something I ate there actually exists, since I've spent years now arguing with people here that it's true, to the point that I don't even believe it anymore?

Years back I had a deep-fried hot dog at Stewart"s (I believe the same Stewarts as the root bear company). Do they still do this? Was I extremely stoned or something?