Author Topic: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**  (Read 30534 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2004, 03:25 PM »
Man, what's the deal with you Canucks, eh?  Just 'cause it's always winter up there means you guys can't compete for **** in the Summer Olympics?!  C'mon now...   ::)

Well we just struck Gold for Gymnastics Artistic - Men's Floor Exercise!  :P

Canada    4 1 2 1

I was watching some trampoline events this morning.  Some pretty kick ass stuff there.  Wish I could do that.  Looks fun!

Nothing better than women on trampolines!  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2004, 09:40 AM »

"Me, On Steriods? Bah!"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Man, what's the deal with you Canucks, eh?  Just 'cause it's always winter up there means you guys can't compete for **** in the Summer Olympics?!  C'mon now...   ::)

We don't fund anyone up here for anything.  Almost.  Really, it's just a lack of money for the athletes.  There's one commercial on Canadian TV showing a scene where an athlete is working a late night shift as a waitress at a truck stop.  Not far off the truth.  It just doesn't matter up here and the support isn't there. 

Men's 8's rowing blew the race big time.  Defending world champions and they finished 5th.  That's bad enough, but 11 seconds behind the winner/US crew :o  They weren't even in the race.  Now that's embarassing. 

To go along with Scott's comment, the men's 100m was a great race to watch, but how many of those guys are clean, really?  They are huge, strong men.  Fast too.  And no, this isn't an anti-US sentiment.  We have a good shot at the women's 110m hurdles gold, but I seriously doubt she is clean. 

Rough day for Canada yesterday: both men's and women's beach volleyball teams were eliminated, the rowing fiasco and then our defending world champion 10m diver throws away her medal by botching her last dive.  Great diver, sitting in second place, falls to fourth :-[

Oh.  Canada.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2004, 11:03 PM »
This is quasi embarassing to even be talking about men's gymnastics (not to say they aren't amazing athletes).  Our Canadian fellow that won gold the other day finished fourth in the vault today.  That's a pretty good result, except one of the guys that medaled in front of him fell on one of his two vaults :o

Echoing comments about judged sports ::) >:(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2004, 03:20 PM »
**SPOILERS**
You can almost guarantee a gold for the lovely duo of Misty May and Kerri Walsh in women's beach volleyball.  I wouldn't mind being spiked by one of those two. 

And so it shall be.   8)  (the Gold part, not Mikey getting any play off them)

McPeak and Youngs took the bronze too.  Shame they stuck them in the same bracket as May/Walsh, so they had to play eachother in the semis, rather than the finals where we could've locked up both Silver and Gold instead.

Looks like Rolan Gardner's off to a good start in wrestling too - into the semis.  Always fun watching that fut lug.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2004, 03:34 PM »

Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Perdita Felicien pulls another Canadian boner.  Yep, one of the few gold medals we were expected to win, women's hurdles - crashed into the first hurdle.  Basically a mental error = choke.   ::)

We did win a gold today in pursuit cycling, women's. 

Australia :o beat Japan to advance to the gold medal match in baseball. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2004, 04:13 PM »

And so it shall be.   8)  (the Gold part, not Mikey getting any play off them)

Son of a bitch!  I know they were busy and all, but they should have at least acknowledged their biggest stalker fan
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2004, 09:30 AM »
USA Hoops Won!  USA Hoops Won!  USA Hoops Won! (not as good as "Giants win the Pennant" I know, but its close)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2004, 09:50 AM »
Yeah, I was so happy to see Team USA pull it out today.  Did anyone see the game at all?  Spain's coach was quite angry with us, apparently because we took a timeout towards the end of the game.  In International play, you have to "put in" for timeouts in advance, and we had put in for one shortly after turning the ball over while getting pressed.  You can't get it until the next dead ball, which was a little while later when we were up by 8 or 9.  Anyways, Spain's coach thought it was disrespectful, and refused to shake any of our coaches' hands.  Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Greg Popovich all chased him down trying to "apologize" and shake hands after the game, but he just pointed his finger in their faces and yelled at them before having to be restrained and led away from the court.  Weird.

Also, Stephon Marbury set the Olympic Men's team record with 31 points today.  He only had 21 total in the 5 pool games.  Nice to see Team USA step it up and play a good all around game, I hope that it continues.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2004, 09:56 AM »
Slowly moving up the ladder:

Gold: 2, Silver: 4, Bronze: 1 for 7. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2004, 10:16 AM »
With all due respect to the Yankees, I hope the basketball team loses.  I suppose I'd earn some respect for them that they actually learned to play by the rules of a game called basketball, if they do win, as opposed to NBA rules.  Still, they need a smack in the head.  Badly.  Not winning the gold medal would do that.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I find myself not really rooting for them at all, with the exception of Duncan they are a collection of players that showcases everything that is wrong with the NBA these days

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2004, 10:35 AM »
That's a good summary of my feelings Scott. 

Brian,
If the US called the time out, in advance as you indicate, did they HAVE to take it?  My understanding from talking to some people locally is that not only did they take the time out, they took it in it's entirety, even substituting some players to drag it out. 

My basketball experiences have always been that you can take as short a timeout as need be, remembering back to high school when a coach called a timeout to basically take 3 seconds to tell us to get our collective heads out of our asses or we could all sit.  But 3 seconds was it and play resumed. 

My point being I can understand the frustration of the Spaniards entirely if there was no mandated amount of time.  Either the US had to take the full time (still not explaining the substitutions that were wholly unnecessary) and the Spaniards are just bitter about the loss.  If however the US needn't have taken the full time, that is pretty much the height of arrogance where there really was no need to rub salt in the wound of the win. 

Which is it, I wonder?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2004, 10:52 AM »
You know, I'm not really sure Brent, I was just going by what the announcers/coaches explained.  Apparently, in the international game, you put in for your time outs ahead of time, which the US did right after turning the ball over (to go over their press-breaker).  It was supposed to occur at the next dead ball, which didn't happen for a little bit, and at which point the US was up by 10 or so.  Then, according to asst. coach Popovich, the US coaches said that they didn't need the time out, and to forget it, but the refs had already called it.  To his credit, Larry Brown did send his players right back on the floor (stopped them at the sideline and turned them around), but apparently Spain's coach was already quite upset.  Its too bad it had to end up that way.  Watching the US coaches first go and try to explain/apologize, only to see Spain's head coach (and no other coaches and/or players) get up in their faces and yell, its too bad that there was a misunderstanding, or any feeling of disrespect.  Hopefully things can be worked out.

I understand many people's points with wanting Team USA to lose (especially if you are not from the US, I'm sure I'd want us to lose too), but I guess I'm still pulling for them.  The team isn't put together the best, and I don't even really care for many of the players on there, but I still really hope they are somehow able to win.  While the international game, and other teams, have made huge strides...I guess I feel deep down that at this point, we still have the best players (which also, aren't there playing for the most part), and because they are playing a game that is new to them (the team game) everyone thinks that we aren't he most talented country in the game of basketball anymore.  I do agree though, we don't play as a team basically at all...and not nearly as well as the other countries.  I'd be perfectly fine with the NBA switching to a more "true" form of basketball, in part to better prepare us and to get the respect of other countries a little more, but due to the marketing of the NBA, it unfortunately probably won't happen.  I do miss the days of the '92 team, when we just spanked everyone and most other countries were happy to play us anyways...and there wasn't nearly as much animosity between teams/players (US included).  Many of our players are spoiled, and some have shown it in these games, and its too bad we can't get back the mutual respect for all teams/players.  Scott is right, there is a lot wrong with the NBA today from that standpoint, and I wish that wasn't the case.  I guess it sounds strange, but I still like things like all of the players shaking hands, grouping together, after games, regardless of the outcome or what their "name" is.  Plus, I guess it is kind of sad how everyone "hates" Americans, but some of that is brought on on our own (or by some Americans anyways).