Author Topic: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**  (Read 30535 times)

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2004, 02:16 PM »
Well done to Kelly Holmes for winning both middle distance golds (the 800m, and then the 1500m tonight)  :-*

Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Up from last time:

Gold: 3, Silver: 6, Bronze: 3 for 12.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2004, 05:48 PM »
We beat the US in the 4x100m relay...by the very smallest margin possible  ;)

We’re ahead of our Sydney total by one, but down by two golds. We can up pick another one in the boxing tomorrow though. So  this is our second  most successful Olympics since 1920, in spite of our track and field results being quite a bit down on last time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 05:53 PM by Rob »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2004, 05:02 AM »
We beat the US in the 4x100m relay...by the very smallest margin possible  ;)

Yeah, that was certainly a surprising, and disappointing (over here) upset.  We had 3 of the top 4 100m finishers, and can't beat a team that I didn't even know they still had sprinters...  This, on top of the fact that our women did the same thing yesterday - botched a handoff and tanked the race...   ::)  Something about that women's race, and Marian Jones in particular, isn't sitting well with me.  I swear it looked like Marion slowed up immensely near the handoff, and it almost look like she was intentionally missing the other girl's hand with the baton.  Probably just a strange conspiracy theory I have brewing in my head, after Marion tanked the 100m and dropped out of the 200m in the U.S. qualifiers.  Sucked at the long jump, and now blows a handoff in what should've been a gimme Gold medal.  It almost seems like she's trying not to win these events, as if they might test her and hit her with a positive or something (yes, I know they test the losers too)...

All in all, I guess the U.S. did pretty well, tops in both Gold and All-around, but the pessimist in me is more frustrated with all the events that we didn't win, but should have.  Yes, the glass is always half empty with me...   ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 05:03 AM by JediMAC »

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2004, 08:22 AM »
They did it!!!!

For the third time in a row the danish handball ladies won the olympic gold. Ok this time it was really really close. Ordinary time, and both expansion was a draw so there was a penalty throw disition, and the danes won it with 2 goals.

This is Denmark's second gold medal in Athens, we also won a gold in men's 4-man rowing. Then we have 6 bronze medals: short put (men), 800 meter running (men), table tennis (men double), badminton (mix double), and the last two was in saliling).

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2004, 09:51 AM »
Team GB's final stats:

Gold: 9
Silver: 9
Bronze: 12

Total: 30

Ranking: 9th

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2004, 03:07 PM »
Canada's final stats:

Gold: 3.

Silver: 6.

Bronze: 3.

Toatal 12.

Ranking: 19th.

Hey, were in the top 20!   

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2004, 06:50 PM »
meh, summer olympics don't interest me. the only event i would have watched - baseball - was one we didn't even qualify for. go figure.

next time, i say we send the new york yankees out as our national baseball team. we would almost certainly win gold. and it wouldn't be that big of a deal to the league, really. plus, it would give the red sox about 2 weeks worth of games to try and gain some ground in the standings on us  ;D