Author Topic: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**  (Read 30533 times)

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**
« on: July 13, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Anyone excited for the games next month? Hype is starting to build in the press with all of the qualifying in Track and Swimming happening.  I like watching from time to time

This has the potential to be a disaster though.  Terrorism looms over everything and so does the doping of US athletes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:56 PM by JediMAC »
Bang Bang

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Sigh, why do I have such an innate ability to take an innocent topic and turn it ugly?  

With respect to the doping, let's be blunt here, they are all on some form of illegal blood doping, be it steroids, blood doping, etc.  They have been for a considerable period of time.  Way back in 88 when Ben Johnson was stripped of his gold medal, it was done deservedly so, he was using steroids.  the problem was that all of a sudden Carl Lewis got the gold and he was not one single whit cleaner.  Face it, the Olympics are dirty, dirty games for the most part, at least according to their own rules.  The admissions only usually come down the road, when the athlete is ill or dead.  Recent revelations have now come out about the East German athletes from the 1976 games.  Go figure, Nelly the wonder horse wasn't clean ::)  Maybe it was the hair on her back.  

That said, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.  I always enjoy watching the Olympics, winter or summer.  Look for the Canadian men to take the 8's in rowing (I hope).  Not sure where our other medal hopes lie (hey, this ain't the US, I can single out gold medals).  

BTW, I think that the US athletes currently under investigation are being treated unfairly.  If they get caught in a competition, so be it, suspend their sorry cheating ass.  Peripheral involvement and implication should not be enough to have them suspended, even if it is 100% correct that they are cheating.  You have to catch them at it.  Canada just didn't have the right doctors back in 88 to hide it well enough nor did we bribe the IOC quickly enough to supress the positive test.  

Nothing makes me laugh more than a positive test on the A sample followed by a negative on the B.   ::)  Well, maybe when athletes at the top of their game suddenly retire cough*Flo Jo*cough. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Reggie Jackson said it best last night...its not fair to judge anyone until they test positive.  Innuendo is getting people nowhere fast

I like watching some of the Olympics, but weird stuff like Water Polo and some of the Swimming stuff.  I'll try and watch the 100, 200 and 400 too in track.  And maybe some Hoops.  But the US Hoops team has become a joke again

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2004, 04:50 PM »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2004, 05:35 PM »
I find the Olympics to be pretty boring.

Thank God Fox is going to air Family Guy while it's on.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2004, 05:48 PM »
I'm not too excited about them one way or the other.  But I'll be seeing plenty of them - my girlfriend loves the Olympics.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Count me out for the Olympics. I rather dislike them and will be watching the Family Guy marathon on Fox.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2004, 06:51 PM »
USA Basketball Loses Tune Up

Saw that.  Not a good sign when our NBA "Third Team" gets spanked by unknown Italy by 17 points.   ::)

As for the Olympics themselves, I guess I'm one of those fervent "patriotic" sports fans, who keeps an eye on the medal count at all times, in hopes that the U.S. is leading the way as usual in the Summer Olympics.  I'll probably watch a fair amount of the Olympic programming, especially the medal rounds.  The one thing that often sucks when the Olympics are on the other side of the planet, is the timing difference and therefore the television delays.  I've usually already found out who's won what by checking the Net, before the winners are divulged in the actual competitions on the tube...

I am, however, growing rather annoyed with the widespread steroid abuse/scandal, to the point where I'm almost of the opinion that everyone's on the juice, which I know isn't fair to most athletes, and is definitely not in the "Olympic spirit".  So I guess you could say I am becoming somewhat disenfranchised with the integrity of Olympic competition these days.  I used to just always assume (again, unfairly) that it was the rest of the world who was on performance enhancing drugs, just to try to keep pace with the U.S.  So now that I really see that we're just as bad, if not worse, than all the other countries, I'm even more pissed off.

Still, I'll be watching the medal count with great interest, as always...

I'll also be watching Jennie Finch (softball) with great interest, as well!   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I love watching the Olympics.  Winter, summer, whatever.  It's just cool to see people playing sports for the love of it, rather than the money.

I do have to suspend my cynical side to watch though.  So much seems so tainted, regardless of country of origin.  

I do loathe sports in which judging is involved however.  It is much too obviously fixed.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 5, 2004, 03:22 PM »
I prefer the Winter Games, but I will watch the summer games.

I too loathe any event with Judges.  That is not a sport, it is an exhibition.  Find a way to make these things more objective by use of speed/points/power and I will consider it a sport.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 5, 2004, 03:23 PM »
I think we should really throw a curve ball at the Olympiads. They should be required to be on 'roids to compete.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2004, 01:36 AM »
Bring it on!!
I think us aussies will get you americans in the pool this time around. ;D :D
And if we dont guess i'll be eating humble pie :-X
Although that is prolly one of the only sports that we dominate at a international level, oh that and cricket.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 09:31 AM »
Ok we went out last night so I had to TiVo the Opening Ceremonies....

Just one question.....who designed/decided on the US Team to wear those ridiculous Hats and Outfits?  The outfits our atheletes wear during opening ceremonies have been in steady decline for years.

So as far as the fashion competition I'll have to say the US didn't even place in their heat.

Is that a "Gang Sign"?....

Here's a Star Wars twist to it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5635457/

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Cool link Paul!  We'll see how he does.  Fencing's on right now actually...

Anyway, yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw the Americans outfits last night in the opening ceremonies.  I think we were shooting for the most "fun and laid back" look, or sumthin'...

So did anyone else out there watch the opening ceremonies?  What'd you think of 'em?  Not too exciting to me.  I'd say the highlight was earlier on, when they had all those "lifelike statues".  Those looked pretty cool.  Real people made up to look like Greek statues.  They pulled it off real well, kinda spooky almost seeing these "statues" actually coming to life.

Pretty pathetic that the Greek guy who was gonna light the torch wound up getting yanked at the last minute 'cause he's on the juice!   ::)

BTW, we're getting shut out in the Medal Count so far.  China, Italy, and Japan are all off to a good start though, with a couple golds each...   :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 01:36 PM »
BTW, we're getting shut out in the Medal Count so far.

Scratch that, as Michael Phelps just kicked ass in the swimming 400-meter individual medley (setting a World Record).  Only 7 more to go for him!   8)

The Greek sprinters and their coach just got officially kicked out of the games.  Guess that pretty much nullifies their 200m Gold and 100m Silver from Sydney, eh?!   :P