Author Topic: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**  (Read 30536 times)

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 03:14 PM »
...I don't really give two ***** about the Olympics this year...

Seeing all of those empty seets for damn near every event in Athens leads me to assume many folks, at least over there, feel the same as you. Personally, I'd love to see some Olympic games of just about ANY kind.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 03:16 PM »
Good point Todd, every thing I've seen so far has been played before crowds of around 50 people it seems...bizzaro

Looks like the US is now tied in the Medal Count with China for #1

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 03:34 PM »
I think that a big part of the problem, as is often the case, is that practically NOTHING is actually shown live on TV.  I've already seen on the Net, or heard on the radio, all of the results MANY hours before the dumbasses at NBC show them in their primetime coverage starting at 8pm.  That's ridiculous...

So when there's not that air of excitement, aniticipation, drama and suspense involved, my enthusiasm for the events is severely decreased.  I'd like to avoid the spoilers, sure, but I just can't help clicking on that damned Medal Tracker throughout the day...   :P

Glad to see SPOILER****
Phelps take home a couple more Golds today.  I was feeling kinda bad for him after his last two races, after all the freaking hype and expectations the media has placed on him.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 03:48 PM »
Looks like the US is now tied in the Medal Count with China for #1

Actually, it looks like we just passed 'em, with a Gold in Fencing, of all things...   8)  Of course, China's got a buttload more Gold than we do though...   :-\

Country Total Medals Gold Silver Bronze
 United States    18 6 6 6
 China    17 10 5 2
 Australia    14 6 3 5
 Russia    10 2 5 3
 Japan    9 6 2 1
 France    8 2 2 4
 Italy    7 2 3 2
 Ukraine    5 3 1 1
 Netherlands    5 0 2 3
 Germany    4 1 2 1
 South Korea    4 1 1 2

etc...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 10:29 AM »
1. China 10 Gold - 6 Silver - 4 Bronze = 46 (20 total)

2. USA 7 Gold - 9 Silver - 6 Bronze = 44 (22 total)

3. Australia 6 Gold - 3 Silver - 5 Bronze = 29 (14 total)

4. Russia 3 Gold - 5 Silver - 6 Bronze = 25 (14 total)

5. Japan 6 Gold - 2 Silver - 1 Bronze = 23 (9 total)

6. France 3 Gold - 2 Silver - 4 Bronze = 17 (9 total)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Pretty good day today for the U.S.!

Spoilers:
3x Gold in the pool: Phelps (#4), Amanda Beard, Aaron Piersol (won, was DQ'd, then overturned), as well as Woman's All-Around in Gymnastics.  Not bad!   8)  Updated Medal standings, with the U.S. finally atop the Gold (as well as overall):

United States    35 14 11 10
 China    29 14 9 6
 Russia    23 3 9 11
 Australia    19 7 5 7
 Japan    15 9 4 2
 Germany    14 5 2 7
 Italy    12 4 5 3
 France    11 4 3 4
 South Korea    11 2 6 3
 Netherlands    11 2 5 4
 Ukraine    7 5 1 1
 Great Britain    7 0 3 4
 Hungary    6 2 3 1
 Cuba    6 0 1 5

Revenge

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2004, 01:19 AM »
Who the hell gives a **** about the olympics? I hate people who pretend to enjoy this crap. ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2004, 02:50 AM »
I do, and I ain't pretending...

But I appreciate the hatred though, bub.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2004, 03:07 AM »
Who the hell gives a **** about the olympics? I hate people who pretend to enjoy this crap. ::)
Your joking right ??
I've had tears of joy running down my face when i see my country winning a medal, especially if it's against a tough competitor.
Hello USA versus AUS in basketball , we looked like we might take it but then the dream team came home in the last quarter and won by 10, take hockey i can't stand it but i watched my Aussie mens team beat the current olympic gold medalist in their last game.
It's sport , and it's not sport for money it's sport for your country and there is a hell of a difference. Don't get me wrong i know there is money in it hell you'd have to be naive to think otherwise , but it's some of the best tv you will ever see.
The current competition between USA and AUS in the pool is fantastic, man Phelpes is a fish but Thorpe is a bigger fish, and remember there is always a bigger fish.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2004, 10:19 AM »
Talking with some friends this week about this, it is amazing how "into" these different sports we can get during the Olympics.  Some of these sports (gymnastics, diving, etc.) we would never watch normally, but find ourselves watching every night this week.  We've especially been enjoying watching swimming, gymnastics, sand volleyball, ping pong, and of course basketball.  Here's hoping that Team USA can turn things around and play well.  The second half vs. Australia looked a little better.  Track and Field starts this weekend I think, that's always entertaining too.  I don't know if it is the country pride, or the fact that it is every four years, or that we just get to see sports that aren't normally televised...but so much of it seems so neat to watch during the Games.  Plus, for the most part from what we have seen, there has been a nice comraderie between countries as well...gracious winners/losers for the most part, which is nice to see too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2004, 10:31 AM »
There was a rather large article in this week's SI about how much the people of Greece hate Americans...it is sad how many people hate our country but I haven't really seen that manifest itself too much in the Games

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2004, 11:14 AM »
There was a rather large article in this week's SI about how much the people of Greece hate Americans...it is sad how many people hate our country but I haven't really seen that manifest itself too much in the Games

It is a pretty universal sentiment, I'm sorry to say.  And not just for anti-Bush rationales.  This has been going on for some time.  Even back when I'd travel in Australia, late 80's, people would think I was American, find out I was CAnadian and they'd apologize. 

Why?  No true legitimate reason, IMO.  However, there are any number of individuals that are rather arrogant about US superiority and all too vocal about it.  Most nations in the world are rather humble, something I would not characterize the US as.  That just rubs people the wrong way. 

Sitting up here in Canada, I am loathe to watch the average Canadian talk about the US simply because they sound quite as arrogant as the average arrogant US individual talking about how great their country is while disparaging the other. 

It's pretty simple, bigotry is bigotry, regardless of your standpoint.  If you hate something, "just because", without a good, well researched rationale, it's bigotry. 

Case in point:
Who the hell gives a **** about the olympics? I hate people who pretend to enjoy this crap. 

Sorry, I enjoy it.  It's quite sad to see the turnout in Greece as it is.  Terrorist threats?  General disinterest/apathy?  Who knows.  I'd certainly say the Aussies should be feeling pretty damn smug right about now. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2004, 12:02 PM »
We got another medal today, a Sliver for Women's Trampoline.

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2004, 01:57 PM »
So today the REAL olympic games begins (athletics / track & field). Well actually it stated wednesday with the short put wich was held at Olympia, where the anicient greek contested aprox. 2500 years ago. Demark actually won a bronze medal, Joacim B. Olsen first danish medal this year.

Later the same day we won a bronze in mix-double badminton, only two bronze for Denmark so far, but more to come I hope and belive. We are two times olympic chsmps in womens handball, we also are favorites in rowing, and the world record holer in mens 800 meters running is participating for Denmark. 
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2004, 02:03 PM »
We got another medal today, a Sliver for Women's Trampoline.
Any rioting in the streets of Edmonton as a result?