Author Topic: Are the K Mart Cantina sets out yet?  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Are the K Mart Cantina sets out yet?
« on: July 13, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Are the K Mart Cantina sets out yet? I am desperately seeking one of these.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Are the K Mart Cantina sets out yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I don't think so, Asian eBayers haven't had them yet either.  Looks like a September/October area timeframe

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:28 PM »
Hopefully the K-mart by me doesn't close before they are released.  I know K-mart has closed some of their stores around the country so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:36 PM »
Nope.  People have been casing all their local K-marts in an effort to dig up the VOTC figures that have hit there, so we undoubtedly would've heard reports of the Cantina sets being found if they were out already.

But like Scott pointed out above, the best indication is usually to check eBay out, and see when the Asian eBayers have gotten their hands on them, since we can usually expect to see them here in the States about 2-4 weeks after that point.

Still surprised to see that K-Marts getting an exclusive in the first place, since there's so few of their stores left after their recent bankruptcy gig.  We lost about half of ours around here...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 01:19 AM »

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:36 AM »
Nice timing.

I can't wait to dig through the trash heap that is the Kmart toy section shelves to find this. I guess the daily Kmart trip will remain in effect for some time now. Which is great, because the lady with the little wooden blue box for abused women and children that waits outside hates me, and now that relationship can continue to flourish and grow.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 12:03 AM »
For the people with no patience!!!! :P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 01:41 AM »
what's the retail supposed to be on this? has to be at least $29.99 if not higher, knowing hasbro  ::)

don't get me wrong, i'll still pick one up (if i ever see it - which is very very doubtful).

SilverZ

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 03:35 AM »
Kindness would put it at $19.99. That obviously not being the case, I say $24.99.

I seriously hope there is a Scene 2 is really coming. I guess that's a question for Hasbro at ComiCon.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 10:30 AM »
The thing about K-Mart (at least the ones that I have been to) is that when a line starts, they actually get the stuff fairly quickly.  After the initial wave, however, things start to really go downhill.  The first batch of Episode I stuff and the first wave of Saga stuff was at K-Mart on the day of release in great abundance (and in some cases, even before they were supposed to be there); after that, for the most part, they didn't get a whole lot else.  

I honestly think that will probably happen again with the OTC, since I've seen the first waves of the VOTC, Galactic Heroes, and 12" VOTC in the K-Mart toy department (the latter of the three was still in a sealed case and buried at the bottom of a stack of boxes).  If K-Mart gets any OTC carded figures at all (which I am doubtful of), it will be of the Dagobah wave and nothing past that, and we'll be seeing either 50 X-Wing Lukes or empty pegs until the Episode III stuff hits in the spring.  Come to think of it, with all the endless repacks, I don't know if this is such a bad thing.  ;)

My main complaint with K-Mart stores in general is that they're so horribly maintained.  I have yet to be in a KM that doesn't feel as if it is in a constant state of disrepair and disorganization.  It doesn't piss me off nearly as much as going into a Wal-Mart, since the aisles aren't three feet wide like the Church O'Sam's, but it's close.

As for the Cantina three pack, I would venture a guess that it will be around 25 bucks.  K-Mart typically (not always) charges a little more than WM and Target and TRU, so while 20 would be nice, 25 seems more likely to me.

Oh, and given the current state of things, if they do another Cantina three pack, it'll probably have Cantina Han (again), Cantina Greedo (again), and it wouldn't surprise me to see them throw the Obi-Wan figure from the Cantina Showdown three pack in 1997 in there just to save a buck.  Either that or it would be a straight rebox of the three WM Cantina sets from 2002 that nearly everyone who wanted one (I was not one of those who wanted them to begin with) was able to find on clearance for as low as 25 cents in some areas.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 08:27 AM »
K-Mart always seems to be odd around here too.  Since we have now moved, there isn't one in town at all, so I don't know if I will be able to find this set or not...but the one we used to visit every so often was very hit and miss.  Like was mentioned above, sometimes they'd have stuff early...before anyone else.  I found the 300th Fett (several of them) way before they appeared anywhere else, and I also picked up the Jedi Starfighter early before Episode II as well.  Other than that, I think I have maybe bought 1-2 figures there otherwise, because they've always had really old stock, that stays forever.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 10:40 AM »
There's 2 Kmarts in my area still (both a decent drive though) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I wonder how they stay in business, the stores usually have more employees walking around than customers.

:P