Author Topic: What are your other toy 'grails'?  (Read 8045 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
What are your other toy 'grails'?
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:24 PM »
What toys do you want to have desperately, but don't have, either because of money, availability or space?  

Glow in the dark homer was one of mine.  I waited a long time to get it and finally picked it up at a decent price, though I still wonder if it will go lower.  

In the Star Wars line, the riddell stormtrooper helmet fits, regularly surpassing $200, though a few lately have been under $175.  I will someday own this and it will become a priority after I finish up the vintage guys.  

3rd jersey Patrick Roy from McFarlane.  Released in obscenely low numbers, this was a mid-production switch in the chase figure from the regular dark Colorado jersey.  Running well over $200 on ebay, it is the only goalie figure I am missing, chase or otherwise.  

McFarlane Jets Selanne #13 in white.  They apparently made exactly thirteen of this figure, the regular chase is #8.  Only one has shown up on ebay and that auction was ended around $400+.  No reason given, but there was never a picture of the item put up either.  I would dearly love to have this, but there is no real way I'd pay that kind of money for a figure like that, though I deserve to own it ;)

How about you? :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: What are your other toy 'grails'?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:43 PM »
I guess I don't really have much for grails, since there is so much I still want that it would be a rather lengthy list.

However,the closest thing would be the LEGO UCS X-Wing, as it, along with the 3 japanese mini sets, is the only LEGO set I'm missing from having pretty much every single set put out to date.

There are never many on ebay at any one time and they usually run in the $150-$200 range for MIB sets, which is what I'd want. I'd rather not take the chance of missing pieces on loose sets. So I'll just continue on having a 99% complete LEGO collection for the time being.  :-\

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Jurassic Park 3 CamoXtreme Desert Spinosaurus

$703.00 of Plastic Godlyness. Completley one of a kind. It was a display Prototype that made its way onto ebay, and sparked a bidding war, the likes of which had never been seen.

Unfortunatley, I was not the lucky winner.

There she is.

Someday....someday. :'(

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:49 PM by Famine »
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 11:23 PM »
Let's see....

-Marvel Legends III maskless Wolverine.  I even saw one at the house of this girl I've been seeing.  I think she was housesitting for her sister or something.  I seriously considered grabbing it, leaving, and never seeing her again!

-World Series Barry Bonds from McFarlane Sports Picks.

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Series 2 Brian Urlacher, no helmet

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Series 1 Emmitt Smith, no helmet

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Houston Super Bowl Exclusive Eddie George & David Carr

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL San Diego Super Bowl Exclusive Ladainian Tomlinson & Junior Seau

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Series 4 Michael Vick, Black Jersey

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Series 5 Ray Lewis, Purple Jersey

-McFarlane Sports Picks NFL Series 5 Tom Brady, Snowy variant

-McFarlane Sports Picks MLB Retro Cubs Greg Maddux

-McFarlane Sports Picks MLB Retro Pirates Barry Bonds

-McFarlane Sports Picks MLB Retro White Sox Sammy Sosa
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:50 PM »
I'd really really really love to get a complete loose set of GI Joes from '82 to '87  Never gonna happen  though because I would probably end up divorced with a nice GI Joe Collection

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 12:58 AM »
The LOTR Burger King Exclusive Uruk Hai w/ helmet.  I think this is the one piece in all my years of collecting I have not been able to get a hold of.  It frustrates the hell out of me like you wouldn't believe.

That, and the original Buffy Spike fig, but lots of new ones are coming, so I'm not so worried about that anymore.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 01:13 AM »
What toys do you want to have desperately, but don't have, either because of money, availability or space?  

Glow in the dark homer was one of mine.  I waited a long time to get it and finally picked it up at a decent price, though I still wonder if it will go lower.  

In the Star Wars line, the riddell stormtrooper helmet fits, regularly surpassing $200, though a few lately have been under $175.  I will someday own this and it will become a priority after I finish up the vintage guys.  

3rd jersey Patrick Roy from McFarlane.  Released in obscenely low numbers, this was a mid-production switch in the chase figure from the regular dark Colorado jersey.  Running well over $200 on ebay, it is the only goalie figure I am missing, chase or otherwise.  

McFarlane Jets Selanne #13 in white.  They apparently made exactly thirteen of this figure, the regular chase is #8.  Only one has shown up on ebay and that auction was ended around $400+.  No reason given, but there was never a picture of the item put up either.  I would dearly love to have this, but there is no real way I'd pay that kind of money for a figure like that, though I deserve to own it ;)

How about you? :)

not to rub it in, but i find it funny that i had 3 of your 4 "grail" figures  ;D

glow in the dark homer, the patrick roy, and the stormie helmet. homer and roy are gone, but the stormie helmet still resides next to the vader and fett on my bookshelf. never even heard of that selanne tho. good luck with that one  ;)

for me, i would have to say the "grail" figure that i would love to own would have to be one of the original rocket firing boba fett protos. i own a reproduction, and a damn good one that could fool some people, but it just ain't the same. after that, an original 21 back fett would have to be 2nd. i actually have the original card back, but of course the figure has been removed.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 01:27 AM »
Ok, at least tell me you sold Roy on ebay and got decent coin for it.  Just don't tell me you traded it for a Jar Jar figure or something.  farging bastage.  

I'll get Roy, I just have to offload some of the McFarlane variants I'm sitting on.   ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:42 AM »
My other grail toys, oh man if I could turn back time & have all those toys I had as a child. from the 60's to the 70's.

Man From Uncle, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, Galactica...   I would really love to have that James Bond briefcase back. My Mom cleaned my room out when I was at basic training for Air cadets. To the garbage dump it goes with other stuff.

Right now I just bounce around finding stuff, no set goal. I still try to find what I can at a good price to fill the gap.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 01:44 AM »
actually, i sold a lot consisting of both roy variants (the first colorado chase and the third jersey) and both bourque variants (colorado and boston) and made out pretty well, considering i didn't pay too much for them. 3 i got at retail and the 3rd roy i paid close to $100 for.

does that make me a scalper?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 01:50 AM by jokabofe »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 08:36 AM »
#1:
FAO Schwartz 18" Amidala doll with her trunk.  I only purchased the original one when they were blowing them out at 75% off but never got the one with the extra gown in the trunk.  I think it sells for more that Han's blaster by MR now.

#2:
That blasted Kelly figure "Autumn"....can't even find her on Ebay :P.

Beth

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Also, my Ghostbuster role play 'Trap' that had the glow in the dark pannels. Oh how I loved that toy. I mean seriously.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 06:40 PM »
The vintage Masters of the Universe Eternia playset. I remember seeing one at KB in '86 and thinking it was the coolest thing on the planet.

Of course, it was $50-60, and I already had Grayskull, Snake Mountain, and the Slime Pit, so my parents wouldn't let me have it.

Now, it goes for like $700 loose and complete, and over $1000 MISB. **** beans.

I'd also like to own a complete vintage MOTU carded and loose collection, including all the figures, vehicles, and playsets. That'd be pretty sweet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 09:46 PM »
actually, i sold a lot consisting of both roy variants (the first colorado chase and the third jersey) and both bourque variants (colorado and boston) and made out pretty well, considering i didn't pay too much for them. 3 i got at retail and the 3rd roy i paid close to $100 for.

does that make me a scalper?

Yes.  And no.  The entire world of McFarlane sportspicks is based on ebay pricing, so what the heck?  Rules are totally different over on that board, from what I expect on a Star Wars board and I think I let myself get burned perpetually.  I could ask for more in trade often than I do (I tend to find plenty of hockey chase and turn those into star wars figures where possible) but seldom do.  Don't get the idea I'm wholly noble though, even Nick has sent me three SW figs for a hockey chase fig, so upping retail value by 50% right there.  But I've had guys offer as many as 8 star wars figures for a mcfarlane chase that wasn't really that hot.  

I expect you made some mighty fine money right there on those four figures.  Though I think you probably gave away the regular dark Roy figure.  The bidding would only have been for the 3rd Roy.  I see there's one on ebay right now for over $300 :'(  Quite likely I will not own this one.  Might be time to downsize the goalie collection if I can't be complete :-*

Bruins Bourque.  Drool.

That blasted Kelly figure "Autumn"....can't even find her on Ebay
You know I'm still hunting for that thing, right?  Damn Kelly dolls are harder to deal with than Star Wars ::)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 10:05 PM »
well, i only sold them 'cause i was getting out of collecting that line. i've never bought any figures just to put them on ebay. i only have a small handful of hockey ones left here, and a lone football - just the players/teams that i follow. didn't pick up any baseball ones - i knew mcf was going to make way too many yankees  :P

although selling that bourque was tough. actually, selling both bourques was tough.