Author Topic: Wow - Vintage eBay Auctions  (Read 240591 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Wow
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2004, 03:16 PM »
Not much, registered Dec 14th & is now "Not a registered user".

recent auctions bid on by mycentbox2001

What gets me is the seller is a newbie with a zero feedback & dreams of riches!  ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2004, 03:35 PM »
Yup, shortly they'll be listing every single piece they can get their hands on in hopes of repeating that (absurd) success. 

The only thing I can think of is a shill bidder to help establish feedback, otherwise we are witnessing one seriously unwise individual. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2004, 12:50 AM »
could have been some tard who just went around putting insanely high bids on items just to screw with people. still whatever the reason, a huge waste of time with a serious lack of intelligence
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2004, 09:56 AM »
You could ALWAYS have someone with 2 accounts, or friends that get together and overinflate items.

person A says to person B:

I have a rare fig, I'll put it on ebay for about 30% more than what it's worht.  You buy it, and I'll reimburse you.  I'll only lose a small % to ebay, and I'll post what it sold for all over the net giving a false sense of what that items value truly is, sell it a month later, maybe get an extra 20 or 30% for it, and make out in the long run.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2004, 11:58 PM »
OMG :o

:'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 3, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Wow, those auctions are just...wow.  Hoping to dig back in the year 2005 into completing my loose vintage collection, time to start watching auctions again ;).
« Last Edit: January 3, 2005, 11:14 AM by mosnab »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 3, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Oh my...  :'(

Star Wars Vintage Jabba the Hutt Dungeon

Arrrrrg!

Return of the Jedi Lot Vintage Action Figures

Doh!

Sy Snootles and the Max Rebo Band Vintage

Did these end with BIN or what? One auction lasted all of two minutes? Let's rename this thread "Ouch" instead of "Wow", okay?

I imagine the seller to be some skin-head St. Johnny (St. Cloud sports) based on the butt kicking Doc Martin boots he has up today - probably selling his little brother's SW collection for meth money... With no idea what people would pay for it.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 3, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Dude, Bush won, we're all surprised but no need to be so sour ;) :P

I'm guessing that's an area of Minne you're not moving back to then?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 3, 2005, 05:12 PM »
It's very easy to end an auction within minutes or seconds of a seller posting. When a seller throws out something of intrest at a very low price, bidders go to the sellers other auctions & refresh & watch what they are posting. Been there done that & if your lucky you may score.  ;D

On another note of WOW/OUCH... for your crying pleasure!  :'(

12” Boba Fett w/ESB Box

Luke in Stormtrooper uniform

ROTJ R2-D2 w/lightsaber

All I can say is... 

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 3, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Dude, Bush won, we're all surprised but no need to be so sour ;) :P

I'm guessing that's an area of Minne you're not moving back to then?

What? I missed the Bush reference in my post, if there was one...

Nope, St. Cloud is out I-94 from the cities. Too far out to even fake being a suburb. Depending on how you drive, it's about 90 minutes if I recall correctly. It's a real party school type of town, with a decent summer theater a little farther out in Alexandria... And from the looks of it, vintage Star Wars toys are cheap there!

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 3, 2005, 05:17 PM »
It's very easy to end an auction within minutes or seconds of a seller posting. When a seller throws out something of intrest at a very low price, bidders go to the sellers other auctions & refresh & watch what they are posting. Been there done that & if your lucky you may score.  ;D

On another note of WOW/OUCH... for your crying pleasure!  :'(

12” Boba Fett w/ESB Box

Luke in Stormtrooper uniform

ROTJ R2-D2 w/lightsaber

All I can say is... 

I hadn't noticed the "Auction ended with buy-it-now" note on those closed auctions - my bad...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 3, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Y'know, I hate the internet.  All subtlety is lost.  The few pm's we've exchanged have usually had some Bush references and I knew you were a little surprised that Bush won, or at least so it seemed in your last pm, where you mention being in marketing and out of touch with a chunk of the population.  Thought I was being funny, clearly I was not.  Pardon.  

St. Cloud is to the north, yes?  Haven't driven to the Cities for quite some time, but I recall going past it on I-94.  US Schools in general are better for partying.  Not quite sure why, given our drinking age is 18 versus 21 there.  Oh well, those days are long past :'(

Dale, stop that. :'(  The sole consolation is that my R2 looks better than that one.  Oh sure, it cost $65 but it was well worth the difference ::)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 3, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Y'know, I hate the internet.  All subtlety is lost.  The few pm's we've exchanged have usually had some Bush references and I knew you were a little surprised that Bush won, or at least so it seemed in your last pm, where you mention being in marketing and out of touch with a chunk of the population.  Thought I was being funny, clearly I was not.  Pardon.

Ah - the wow vs. ouch part - I get it now. No worries, no pardon necessary. The internet eats subtlety, but in this case it was all me. I was just too daft to get it.

Us marketing guys are really 'mart when it comes to readin' fer undertandin' n' stuf. I remember that discussion when the realization hit me about how far a field I am from the electoral mass. I'm non-discriminating in the ways I'm out of touch, election year or not. Ask my wife.  :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 3, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Sorry about that Brent but ya gotta know & learn about the heart aches of auctions. I remember the auctions a seller was posting on a Sunday night a year or two ago, just happened to be checking out the BIN section & there were 12 back carded figures being posted for $100. each.

What a zoo that was refreasing the sellers page as they were listing & trying to grab one or two of them. Course I was not the only one that saw them as a few members on RS saw them.

Bin's were going left & right like crazy & the ones that scored were happy.

Then it started, the seller emailed the bidders saying they were not available or something to that effect. Wish I could find the thread on RS but there search engines sucks big time.

I think it landed up that someone saw the whole auctions & gave the seller a buy out price & landed up getting all the figures. More than what the seller wanted for the auctions.

If I find that thread, I'll post it, I'm sure a few of the vinty guys remember this.