Author Topic: Hasbro's SDCC Q&A Session  (Read 18523 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Hasbro's SDCC Q&A Session
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2004, 10:40 AM »
As far as the whole "not repacking VOTC", I think they're bluffing. With the majority of the line not even on the pegs yet, its the smart thing for them to say. Otherwise, the consumer base wouldn't buy the VOTC up with such a frenzy. Would you buy 20 VOTC stormies if you knew they were going to be repacked next year? No, you wouldn't.

And in the end, I think numbers talk louder than Hasbro @ssholes in San Diego. If the VOTC line sells gangbusters, why wouldn't they repack these figures to make money? Why wouldn't they make more VOTC figures to make money? How many times has the Commtech Stormie been repacked? How about 300th Fett???

I have a feeling that guy's just talking out of his ass.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
As far as the whole "not repacking VOTC", I think they're bluffing. With the majority of the line not even on the pegs yet, its the smart thing for them to say. Otherwise, the consumer base wouldn't buy the VOTC up with such a frenzy. Would you buy 20 VOTC stormies if you knew they were going to be repacked next year? No, you wouldn't.

That's something I have been thinking about too, and like you said, when it comes down to it, if its going to make them money, why not?  They obviously like the repack business, they just as well utilize these (you know they'd sell more than the POTF2/POTJ repacked versions).  I hope that we do eventually see these again, although I'm thinking it will be awhile if we do now, since it sounds like 2005 is almost ALL Episode III stuff (as expected).

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Would you buy 20 VOTC stormies if you knew they were going to be repacked next year? No, you wouldn't.

i disagree. i will buy as many as i can find, with or without the knowledge of a re-pack coming later on. and when they repack it? i'll buy as many as i can find again. of course, we're talking about army builders here. would people buy the regular figures if they knew a cheaper repack would be coming? who knows. prolly not.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Yeah we can go round and round again on the whole absurdity of the OTC.  We'll see in November if their gamble paid off, I myself keep seeing pegs chock full of Yavin and the Jabba Wave.  Once again they've exceeding demand after a relatively slow roll out in early 2004.  Their ability to gauge the market and have appropriate case packs is and always has been bane #1

Looking at what they are giving us for the first three waves of 2005 it would stand to reason these would have been the last three waves of 2004 and these repacks were just a bone for LFL on the whole DVD thing.  I would have rather of seen the 3 new cantina figures mixed in and some common sense repaints instead of 4 Vaders and 5 Lukes and some of the other release after release after release (Cantina Han)

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Looking at what they are giving us for the first three waves of 2005 it would stand to reason these would have been the last three waves of 2004 and these repacks were just a bone for LFL on the whole DVD thing.  I would have rather of seen the 3 new cantina figures mixed in and some common sense repaints instead of 4 Vaders and 5 Lukes and some of the other release after release after release (Cantina Han)

I thought that the first wave after the 38 OTC figures would be an 04 release.  I know that the last wave of OTC is scheduled for October. if you are right, then the rest of the year after October will truly suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2004, 01:11 PM »
If you remember we got 2004 figures in November...I'd say October/November for these (Coruscant and Naboo) too

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Some random additional thoughts to you guys' random additional thoughts...

-Lando mentioned them blowing smoke on the VOTC, and while I'm not as confident as he is, part of me is in total agreement with him.  I can't possibly see a logic as to "why" with their attitude.  I wonder if it isn't just them saying that to make people THINK the VOTC will never see the light of day again and they'll buy them up rather than skip them hoping for a re-release.

Perhaps they know their market better than they let on? :)

-Scott's point about the Cantina aliens (or someone) mixed into the center of OTC would've alleviated some oof the "pain" we're inevitably feeling with the rampant repacks.  Still, I'm even going to nab SOME of the repacks so it isn't like they're not appealing on some level (I was all set for a huge break till I saw the Gammorrean and Tusken).

-About kids vs. collectors...  I don't know how much is BS.  I stick by the notion that they are a factor, just not nearly the one Hasbro makes them out to be.  I often wonder just how much research they do?  Besides focus groups which aren't accurate anyway, I just don't see what they're out there pounding the pavement doing...  I think what data they use is maybe even outdated.

Oh well...

Things are what they are right now.  I'm really only disappointed about Comic-Con on one aspect (even with th e crappy Cantina set).  The aspect of that ONE ******* (By the way, you can say "ass" Lando  :D ) and how he talked to Matt and basically treated collectors like crap inadvertantly.  I found that disrespectful and a plain black mark on the company overall because it's his job to actually be cordial at those shows.

In the end, despite their data, it is the collectors who carry the line's momentum every NON-Movie year, which outweigh the movie ones by a long-shot.

Maybe it's the guy that designed the Fleet Trooper?  Perhaps he's bitter?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Things are what they are right now.  I'm really only disappointed about Comic-Con on one aspect (even with th e crappy Cantina set).  The aspect of that ONE ******* (By the way, you can say "ass" Lando  :D ) and how he talked to Matt and basically treated collectors like crap inadvertantly.  I found that disrespectful and a plain black mark on the company overall because it's his job to actually be cordial at those shows.

Ahh...but you can not say @sshole!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram