Author Topic: Time for some new flip-flops.  (Read 19206 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Time for some new flip-flops.
« on: July 26, 2004, 05:46 PM »
(And no, this doesn't have anything to do with John Kerry or the Democratic National Convention.)  :P

So, after a late-night trip to Wal-Mart the other day on a search for OTC junk, during which I nearly split my kneecap after hitting a puddle while wearing some three-year-old, five-dollar Wal-Mart special flip-flops, I've decided it's time for some new ones.

(And yes, that was the most poorly-constructed sentence in the history of the internet.)

So here's what I'm looking at:

The Sanuk Fur-Real Classic

Around $30-35 at most places, I can't help but think "man, that's a lot of money for a pair of flip-flops", but, while price-searching flip-flops last night (something I never in a million years thought I'd ever be doing), I saw some sandals for one, two, even three-hundred dollars.  So I guess the thirty bucks doesn't seem so bad.

What about you guys?  Any flip-flop connoisseurs in the house?

(And yes, I am a bit hesitant to post this thread due to jjks' known foot fetish--but I feel that flip-flops are too important not to have their own thread here.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Time for some new flip-flops.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Damn, those look comfy!  Where all are those furry things for sale, Matt?  They have black or brown ones?

I wear flip-flops as much as is humanly possible ("zorries", as my family's always called them - don't ask me why).  In fact, I sported my flip flops the entire 4 days/nights at Comic Con.  Much easier to wear than shoes.  Been wearing them into the office as well, since it's been so freakin' hot lately.  Still waiting for the boss to ask me what the hell, and demand I get back into some business casual shoes instead...

My selection is two-fold:  The old school foamy/rubber ones, with the cool colored stripes in the middle (my stripes are just black, dark grey, light grey, and white).  Then I also have a pair of brown leather ESNY's that we recently picked up at Macy's, I think.  Cut the hell out of my feet the first few times I wore them in Nashville last month, but now that they're broken in, they're working just fine.  Not sure if you can see them in my OTC Falling Down pic or not, but they're there...

But whichever way you go - just go in "zorries", and you'll be cool (like me).   :P

As for jjks' foot fettish, I guess that would explain why my toes were all wet when I woke up Thursday morning in his hotel room down at SDCC.  Damned wacko.   >:(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 05:58 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 06:12 PM »
I used to have a pair of sanuks that looked just like those but were black.  The only problem was that they got very smelly after a while and had to be disposed of.   Pretty comfortable though.

Nowadays I really only wear flip-flops to take the dogs out, so I just have 3 dollar old-navy crap ones.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 06:12 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 06:16 PM »
Damn, those look comfy!  Where all are those furry things for sale, Matt?  They have black or brown ones?

Yeah, they come in both green and black.  I like the green because they're different, and stand out a little.  They're made out of Astroturf, so when you're wearing them, it's like you're walking around barefoot in the Brady Bunch backyard.

They have both of the colors available here:

http://www.swell.com/product.aspx?sku=200762466&loc=33194&brand=27789

$28.00, plus $6.99 shipping.

I think I'm going to order mine from www.shoes.com, though.  Although they only have the green ones, they're a little cheaper, at $29.99 with free shipping on your first order.  For a cheap bastard like me, that's the way to go.

I am concerned, though:  I'm a 10 1/2, and both of those sites have the greens in 10, but not 11.  So I don't know whether to just go ahead and order the 10s, or wait until someone gets some 11s in stock.  I'm a novice flip-flop junkie, and have no idea how important the correct size is.

As for jjks' foot fettish, I guess that would explain why my toes were all wet when I woke up Thursday morning in his hotel room down at SDCC.  Damned wacko.   >:(

I'm making a conscious decision to not tread into Hung Solow territory here.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Yeah, they come in both green and black.  I like the green because they're different, and stand out a little.

I don't like to stand out.  I always prefer things more ordinary and neutral.  That's why some people call me "Plain Vanilla" (better than Ned Flanders, I s'pose)...

I am concerned, though:  I'm a 10 1/2, and both of those sites have the greens in 10, but not 11.  So I don't know whether to just go ahead and order the 10s, or wait until someone gets some 11s in stock.  I'm a novice flip-flop junkie, and have no idea how important the correct size is.

I'd try to wait for the larger size.  I've had a lot of flip-flops, and it's been my experience that they kinda suck when they're a half size too short, and your heel is falling off the back just a little.  Much better to go a half size bigger if possible, which isn't even noticeable when you're wearing them.

I'm making a conscious decision to not tread into Hung Solow territory here.

Excellent.  We appreciate that!   :-*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 06:38 PM by JediMAC »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 06:53 PM »

damn, that was just wrong...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 06:57 PM »
I just wear those Adidas bump style flip-flops whenever I go to the park, or the mailbox. Otherwise, I'm either in sneakers or sandals.

Those are nice flip-flops though....
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 07:13 PM »
damn, that was just wrong...

No kidding!  Those were MY toes!  Tell me about it...   >:(

Disgusting perv, Jamie.   ::)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 07:45 PM »

I wear flip-flops as much as is humanly possible- Been wearing them into the office as well, since it's been so freakin' hot lately.  Still waiting for the boss to ask me what the hell, and demand I get back into some business casual shoes instead...

Are these the ones you have, Matt??

They match your sweater nice.  :-*
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Are these the ones you have, Matt??

They match your sweater nice.  :-*

Beth, if I were you, I'd stop talking crap until after you get your SDCC stuff from me...

You wouldn't want those mini-sabers falling into the hands of a fellow collector, now would you?!   :-*

Yeah, that's what I thought!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 08:04 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 03:31 AM »
See
it's funny how things are called by a different name in parts of the world
In Australia they are thongs or even slippers
I know someone will show me a pic of a "thong" in the US but for us simple folk down under if you said you had some flipflops people would think you had a disease which involved falling over lots.
You crazy Americans ;D ;)
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 09:26 AM »
I've actually been thinking about getting some new flip flops soon here too.  I wear sandals whenever possible for the most part, and have been sporting some well worn in Nike ones pretty much 24/7 for the last few weeks.  Just comfy, and easy.  I have looked at picking up just some cheapos at a couple of different places (Wal-mart, Old Navy, etc.), but they never have a size close enough for me (I wear a 13/14 shoe).  Either they don't make them, or I miss them.  No biggie.  I'd like to get a new pair though, then at least I have some lazy footwear options :P

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 09:33 AM »

Not quite the pair I have, but similar.  Really comfy and nice and worn in.  I've had them about four years now.  Wear them to (but not during) softball games, around the house, around a swimming pool, on a boat...you get the idea.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 09:54 AM »

These are the ones I have for when I go backpacking. Very nice to put on after hours of hiking up a mountain, dipping in a cold lake & just relaxing. My friend calls them Hochiminh's (sp) & that name just stuck with me. They run $66. CDN.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Hmmm... Those aren't flip-flops though, those are sandals right?

Flip Flops have to have the toe grabber thingy don't they?