Author Topic: Tydirium's OT DVD Issues List (Recliner of Rage)  (Read 4279 times)

SilverZ

Tydirium's OT DVD Issues List (Recliner of Rage)
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I thought I’d put together a little thread that puts in one place every issue I’m having with the films as presented on the OT DVDs. As we learn of changes as the DVD gets ripped and leaked to the net, we’re also learning of all the problems that have been introduced to the trilogy’s 2004 incarnation. There are lots of apparently new problems that have seeped into the movies during its journey to DVD post-Special Editions in 1997 and their home video release to VHS and LaserDisc.

I’m not really bitching about the changes or arguing about whether they improve the narrative, visuals, or audio aspects of the movies here. I’m simply tracking all of the technical and artistic missteps that should have been caught, addressed, handle better, or improved – either in the transfer, updated effects work and sound mix, or in the spirit of the “restoration.”

I'm also conveying a rather negative viewpoint on the DVDs, having never actually seen the finished product and am basing this on screenshots leaked to date, as well as not noting the many, many improvements and elements that seem to have been done right. Just so everyone knows I'm not ripping for ripping's sake... I'm eager to see what seems to be a vast improvement in many areas of the disc. I've simply chose to illustrate the shocking amount of mistakes and oversights that should have been addressed.

Note that I say this is in the “spirit of the restoration.” I’m not taking sides in the revamping of the OT, but simply pointing out the abundance of quality control issues that are spilling out from this release. This is something people within Lucasfilm obviously failed to do while their goal is to present the Original Trilogy in its most comprehensive form for DVD.

So this is Jared’s anal-retentive “everything wrong with the OT DVD” list:

ANH

Luke’s white lightsaber, Millenium Falcon
http://img52.exs.cx/img52/8527/lukewhitesaber.jpg

Unlike the Ben/Vader fight later in the film, Luke’s ignited saber remains using the original hand-animated work from 1977 in this shot. This is no longer consistent with revisions in the movie.

Behavior of visual elements should remain consistent throughout the movie.

ESB

Boba Fett dialog, Bespin
http://s90708385.onlinehome.us/millenniumfalcon_esbdvd_fettvoice.mp3

“He’s no good to me dead,” and other Boba Fett lines have been replaced by Tem Morrison. The newly recorded line does not synchronize with the line as originally recorded. Additionally, no effort has been made to make adjustments to account for the shorter length, leaving an awkwardly long beat before Vader’s response. This is a distracting alteration that should have been corrected through more careful voice recording and placement of the recorded line within the dialog track.

Dialog replacement should not effect or negatively impact the flow and intent of a scene.

Vader’s lightsaber color, Bespin
http://img62.exs.cx/img62/4499/VadersLamePinkSaber.jpg

This is the first noticed instance thus-far of original saber effects being discolored. It’s not known why this has occurred, or by what process created these new problems. On closer examination, it looks like the back walls of the carbon freeze chamber are closer to purple than the should be, which means the red saber suffered in their crappy color timing job.

This should have been caught prior to either the Lowery digital restoration, and certainly should never have made it all the way to the DVD authoring stage.

ROTJ

The Rancor Pit
1997 timing
2004 timing

In correcting the contrast levels for consistent levels between foreground and background plates, color detail has been lost. Anything within the original set lighting’s blue range has been lost in the new version.

Re-check color timing for consistency with original shots after revising elements.

Luke & Vader’s lightsabers cross, DS2, Throne Room
http://www.wallhacker.com/freeforall/saber1.avi

This is the first instance where everyone’s suspicions were raised of errors with lightsabers throughout the new transfers. As the sabers clash, they appear darkly discolored and lack the intense whiteness of their core. It’s unknown why this has happened, but if not a simple color timing related issue, it may have happened in the process of addressing the “Emperor’s slugs” which have been touched up in this shot.

Vader’s lightsaber color, DS2, Final Duel
http://www.wallhacker.com/NotForFuckingTFN/saber2.avi

Once again, Vader’s saber alternates between pink and red, from shot to shot in the sequence. In other shots it appears under saturated, an almost dull hue. This is the worst offense of this new problem so far.

This should have been caught prior to either the Lowery digital restoration, and certainly should never have made it all the way to the DVD authoring stage.

Anakin Force Ghost, Ending Celebration, Endor
http://owenward.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ROTJ-2004-HAYDENGHOSTCHANGE.mov

Anakin, as he fades in, is intended to lock gazes with Obi-Wan Kenobi. In this incarnation, Anakin’s look to his left, and following look forward, does not synchronize with the original take using Seb Shaw. This destroys the original intent of the scene, which through Obi-Wan’s look and approval, acknowledges Skywalker’s return to the light side. This should have been addressed while the Hayden Christensen footage was being composted into the scene. It is simple timing issue!

Use some common sense and loop a sequence of frames of Christensen looking left to correct timings to maintain the shot’s integrity!

I'll update as I find more that bugs the hell out of me.  >:(

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Tydirium's OT DVD Issues List (Recliner of Rage)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 07:12 PM »
All excellent points there, and most of the same gripes that I have with the new changes (as if the S.E. changes weren't bad enough).  I'd also include the new Jabba shots and Greedo/Han sequence from ANH as well.  They're an improvement over their respective S.E. scenes for sure, but neither is to the corrected point that I think they should be at now, with yet another chance to fix them having been lost.  I think Mr. Lucas has definitely lost his touch and/or mind, unfortunately.

Still can't believe he won't listen to all of his loyal fans literally begging for the original versions of the OT on DVD.   >:(

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: September 9, 2004, 02:31 AM »
******* WHACK:

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 9, 2004, 02:37 AM »
Excuse me, but is that a GREEN lightsaber there?!?   ???   >:(

It can't possibly be.  Right?  Please tell me that's not what I'm seeing.  Please.

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2004, 02:41 AM »
Excuse me, but is that a GREEN lightsaber there?!?   ???   >:(

It can't possibly be.  Right?  Please tell me that's not what I'm seeing.  Please.

Uh. WTF?! 

That is just not right. Where did this pic come from? Please tell me that this a PhotoShop job that someone made as a sick joke.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2004, 02:45 AM »
It's apparently the result of the new color timing job done on the movie, but thankfully this is the only shot (according to the guy that posted this at MF.com) that it appears out and out green. According to the post the other Falcon shots are more that iffy bluish-aqua color. Why bother redoing the saber effects for the Ben/Vader fight if you're not going to fix an idiotic new F up like this one?

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2004, 02:51 AM »
Links to altered clips from the ANH DVD:

The Duel

Han and Jabba Redux

Han and Greedo Re-Redux

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2004, 03:01 AM »
The Jabba scene looks much much better. Jabba looks good and at least Han isn't poking him in the face like in SE.

The Greedo scene looks better but I still want the original back.

The duel looks awesome.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973