Author Topic: What do YOU do with the Misfits  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What do YOU do with the Misfits
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 07:36 PM »
Usually they end up as custom fodder.  

Do you not want that Falumpaset OCB?

:P

Chewie, PM me if you need a Falumpaset.  I have a spare I can trade if you want.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 09:34 PM »
They're in Sterilite plastic shoeboxes, along with most of my stuff.

I know it's not good for the long term, but I should be buying a house within 4 years, so then I can unpack them and display them all.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 01:56 AM »
Well I pretty much use them up in dioramas in some fashion if I can. As I can continue work on my Collection Room I may find that some of these old figures which have been re-done ad nauseam will have to be put away in a box somewhere as they don't fit into a diorama and there just isn't any individual space for them elsewhere.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 03:11 AM »
Mine are banished to the Frito Lay EP2 buckets.  Remember those?  Actually most of my collection is put away at the moment, awaiting a day to be released again.  By then most of it will be resculpted, I'm sure.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 02:56 PM »
The updated figures don't bother me, space-wise, as I have it all in Plano cases, arranged sequentially by wave from the first POTF2 wave all the way up to the Dagobah OTC wave.  What bugs me is the "misfit vehicles."  By that I mean the POTF2 TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Landspeeder, Slave I, and Snowspeeder; all of whom have had significant improvements or altogether new versions made (or coming) that make the originals look like crap.  The vehicles take up a lot more space than figures do, and since I'm always on the verge of running out of space anyway, the space those POTF2 versions take up is valuable real estate.

Basically, the last time I was in the SW room, I set aside those five vehicles listed above and they're probably going to wind up going to Goodwill or something by the end of the year unless the folks put them in a yard sale or something.  The OTC Falcon isn't different enough (although the lightup engines make me drool) for me to buy one of those (especially since, if Hasbro continues to remake things, we will probably end up with an Ultimate version by the time the line fizzles anyway), but those POTF2 ships have become obsolete with the improvements in scale.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Back of the dioramas for the army builders, and back of the plastic bin for the redone main characters.  I'm tempted to trade away the older "misfits" that I have no desire to ever display, but at the same time I feel like doing that would ruin my complete collection.  What a dumb predicament to be in - feeling the incessant need to hang on to something that I don't like or want to keep any longer.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Strange thought?  

If, and this is a big if, Hasbro goes so far as to redo every POTF2 figure with a new sculpt, would you end up displaying both early modern and late modern era figures?  Essentially doing what many of us do with vintage and modern figures?  

Now I fully realize that modern Luke sculpts, for example, are significantly better than the orange card era.  But, and again for example, I hate the vintage Luke X-wing figure.  To me, it looks like crap, but I still have one and display it now.  Given that they are re-doing some figures that weren't really being clamored for (Bossk?  sure the new one is better, but who was begging Hasbro for a new Bossk ???), it seems all the more likely that we will end up with all new versions of POTF2 figures.  We are all certainly dumb enough to buy them (witness OTC) so, will we end up with:

vintage
early modern (95-01ish)
late modern (02-08+)

and if so, will you pull all your old bad stuff out of storage?   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 01:50 PM »
That is something I've wondered about too Brent, and an excellent point.  I've often wondered if Hasbro would go about "re-doing" the POTF2 line, particularly the early years.  Although I know many people hate resculpts, seeing the newer Saga and OTC releases (as well as some POTJ) standing next to POTF2 figures on the shelves, the majority of those figures could stand a new update with the sculpting/painting techniques they have now.  Sure, some still hold up pretty well, but overall I think we'd be surprised at how much better they could look.  Just as you mentioned, Bossk didn't exactly need a re-do, but the new one is pretty spiffy.  And, to answer the question, I don't think I'd keep the POTF2 figures out, unless I came up with some more display space somehow.  For now, they get packed away, although I do like to keep them.