Author Topic: Windows 10 Questions  (Read 2672 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Windows 10 Questions
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:14 AM »
I finally decided to upgrade my 10+ year old computer and have purchased a unit running Windows 10.  I haven't used this OS before as my old machine was still XP and my work computer is windows 7.  I am trying to transfer my ancient Windows Outlook email to the new machine.  The pre-installed Mail app isn't that great so I tried to install windows live mail.  I keep getting an installation error that refers to a firewall setting.  I took down my modem firewall as well as disabled windows firewall, but still no luck with the install.  Should I completely disable McAfee or is there something else that I'm missing?  I wanted to get my old email moved before I used the software to move all my other stuff since I'm not sure how long that process will take.  Any help would be appreciated since google searches don't come up with all too much.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:32 PM »
I'm no computer expert, but I ended up getting super frustrated with McAfee a few years back.  It seemed every program I tried to install had conflicts with it and I was always uninstalling McAfee, installing the new software, and then re-installing McAfee.  I just got tired of it all.

I switched to Kaspersky at that time and have used it ever since.  I've never once had any issues with new software and Kaspersky.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I've heard nothing but bad from McAfee users, besides it not being free. 

Likewise windows mail sucks now...  I've bailed on it completely.  Used to love its convenience but it's just bad now IMO.  I just log into my account on comcast at this point and call it a day.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:54 PM »
I use kaspersky with windows 10 without any problems. I also use Office 2016 for my outlook email file.  My office has a home use program where I can buy office 2016 for $10. You might want to check with you licensing department if they participate in it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Turns out McAfee was signed in all the way, so that fixed the problem.  The preinstalled Mail program is pretty poor, but the live mail is pretty similar to outlook express, so it isn't to bad.  Got all my stuff transfered over pretty quickly.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I can't stand our Win10 upgrade.  There are all kinds of weird bugs because Microsoft and Google are purposely trying to piss on each other.  For example, my printer wiorks with every program and multiple browsers, but not with Chrome, which I use almost exclusively now. especially with my wife heavily utilizing google docs.  I've spent hours trying to figure out a fix and coming to the conclusion there isn't one based on all the negative blog comments and reviews.  I used to avoid apple product because I figured all the 'PC' stuff worked so well together, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. Good luck with it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:27 AM »
I use Chrome all the time on all my windows 10 machines. It prints fine from every machine. Maybe you have some kind of weird print driver error? I seriously doubt it is 10 since it uses the same print drivers as 8.1 and 7.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:29 AM »
Like everyone's saying, McAfee is pure ****.

Just turn on Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and you'll be set.

You don't need to pay for anti-virus software anymore.  That **** is sold exclusively to people who don't know any better.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Mcafee is a huge resource huge and actually misses real viruses. Windows defender (built into 8 and 10) is very good. According to security experts, you really don't need third party virus scanners as long as you don't engage in risky behavior. The biggest thing is to use a password vault that stores a different random password for every site you need. You should never use a word or phrase for multiple sites.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 01:11 PM »

You don't need to pay for anti-virus software anymore.  That **** is sold exclusively to people who don't know any better.

And for those of us who don't trust Microsoft to build secure software...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22 PM »

And for those of us who don't trust Microsoft to build secure software...

BitDefender Antivirus plus and Kaspersky Antivirus (if you trust the Russians) are top rated systems.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:22 PM by Master_Phruby »