Author Topic: Breaking the bank, what's the price?  (Read 12112 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the bank, what's the price?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Think of it this way, if the figures are $7 a peice, and you find say 5 Clone Troopers and decide to buy them all you'll be paying $10 more than you would have for Episode II. That's $35!

And if the rumors are true for a 21 figures on the launch of ther line, then you can expect to pay $147!

Screw that! I'll buy a few figs and and wait for clearances!

Think of it this way, when you find a wave of new figrues how many do you buy? Say you find 10 figures, you'd have to pay 20 dollars more than you'd have to today!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 10:29 PM »
I think they're raising the price since we've proved to them we'll buy $5 figures on $10 cards/clamshells, plus we'll buy figures we bought years ago if they're on pretty packaging. I'm sure any profit-minded corporate lapdog would think the same thing.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Well, after seeing our first few glimpses of what is to come in the ROTS line, I've been thinking more about price.  Although I am quite happy that we got the vOTC line, and I'm very happy to have them all in my collection, the $10 pricepoint was a bit steep for me.  I originally hoped to buy two of each to keep some carded, but just couldn't afford to do that.  I bought an extra Han, and hope to someday get an extra Chewie as well, but otherwise I had to limit it to one of each.  Anyways, back to the topic...from the images we've seen, it appears that many of the ROTS figures might resemble the vOTC line in terms of sculpt and articulation, which is a wonderful thing.  If the majority of the line continues in this fashion, how much do you feel is too much to pay for a Star Wars figure(s)?

Although I really hope that the majority of the figures are done in the vOTC fashion, I don't think I could stomach paying $10 each for them.  I guess I'd be willing to pay a little more for that quality (even though we've seen figures about as good at the $5 pricepoint), but I'd say $6-$7ish is about top dollar.  Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone's opinions on price has changed after seeing some possibilities of what is to come.  I do hope these figures turn out to be as spiffy as it looks right now, and I'm really looking forward to them, but I'm definitely going to have to save some pennies for this :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Again, if you're in Canada, you've seen this before.  Current figures, after taxes are $10.24 in most places.  POTJ figures were nearly $14 after taxes at one point, at TRU, just about the only reliable retailer at the time.  Sure they're Canadian dollars, but that's all I earn, so at times I've paid 3x what the average US collector has paid.  Exchange rate is so much better now, it's almost no question that I buy figures out of the US - even with shipping and customs fees it's still cheaper than here.  How sad is that. 

Is it awful?  Yup.  Ben said it though, where's the surprise. 

Price increase or no, I'm going to pick up the figures I really want and am prepared to pay for.  Otherwise I'll wait six months for the loose figure dumping. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 06:21 PM »
If all the figures are up to the Preview wave standards, I'd have no problems paying $6-7 each. I paid that for the E1 stinkers.

I don't think I'll be buying many carded figures, at least until the massive inevitable clearances. I do want all an Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Grevious, and Vader on card, and I doubt I'll wait to buy them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ranat

• Youngling
  • Giggity Giggity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 03:44 AM »
Here is my take on the situation:

If the price goes up to $12, i'm done. I will NOT pay $12 for an action figure.

If the scale changes, i'm done. I think it would be a stupid idea on Hasbro's part to change the scale of their Star Wars figures that they've had for 25 years.

My opinion on the matter: I highly doubt both of these "assumptions". For starter, I think even Hasbro knows that people will not buy these figures for $12 a pop. Do I think that there will be a price rise? Perhaps, but I don't see it going higher than $7 or $8, which to me is reasonable. And I don't know who came up with the scale change idea, but no offense, that is just stupid. Hasbro knows they are selling their 3&3/4 line well, so why would they change it.l
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004, 03:51 AM »
*cough*playmates*cough*

Seriously though...  I think that's just speculation on the scale changes and such, as a reason for a major hike in price, but...  it happens, as with the PM Trek line(s).  Anything's possible.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77